Updating the first post of this topic:
finished and released, as shown in image below:

http://www.gb-homepage.nl
(Go to link above, then click on the Strike Fighters page)

Original post below this line.
-------------------------------------------------

My try at a 3D object: HEMTT / Oskosh / M977. In US service from 1982. This is one with a bigger bed, no crane.

The shape is low-poly on purpose, but the dimensions are pretty accurate. The texturing has hardly started.
Will use one texture for the base+cabin+wheels, one for the bed.
I did not shape it with 3dsmax, but used engineering CAD software, then imported it. It went remarkably well, just that the scale was way off.
Some things I am uncertain about; Are these names in the list proper mesh names, will I be able to explode the vehicle with detaching wheels and such? And can the windows be made translucent?

post-32175-0-11858600-1368923179.gif

post-32175-0-30791700-1379012047.gif

post-32175-0-04476200-1386960643_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerwin
My previous website url has gone. But I got a new one.
  • Like 7

great start Gerwin! :ok:

for names I'm not sure but better use format like "toolbox1_2" instead of "toolbox1:2", I think it might be leftover from CAD application you used

as for the windows it's more tricky for beginners -you need another material for glass that uses Targa file with alpha channel for defining transparency level (more black=more transparent) and set this material properly in Material Editor in Max, this isn't that hard

seeing the model already ingame I think the whole "proper orientation of axes" etc isn't a mistery

then there's building the hierarchy and linking of the parts of the model (if needed) BUT given ground mobiles in TW games are really REALLY simple logics-wise, it's not that important -we don't even have rotationg wheels after all :sad:

of course that requires modelling the simplistic interrior of the 977 cabin

again, good start!

If you use the schematic view it's very easy to link parts together in a hierarchy. I'd use the Chassis as a base and then work from there. For a ground object like this you can probably get away with having it a single mesh if it doesn't require animations.

Or mere two, three parts for tanks. Chasis, turret, barrel, that' all required most times

Out of curiosity which CAD software did you use?

If you use the schematic view it's very easy to link parts together in a hierarchy. I'd use the Chassis as a base and then work from there. For a ground object like this you can probably get away with having it a single mesh if it doesn't require animations.

Thanks for the tips Stary and Julhelm.

I will look for the hierarchy options again, i could not really find it before. Lots and lots of buttons in 3dsmax...

@Jimbib:

See image, I can use it at d office.

post-32175-0-55609100-1365096740.png

Edited by gerwin

Gerwin,

Awesome HEMMT!

In case you did not find it it is the 3rd button in the toolbar on the top left, called "Select and link" right next to the "redo" button.

Select a mesh and with a held down left mouse button pull the cursor over the appropriate mesh you want to link it, if it senses an object that could be linked to then it turns into a (double)square cursor. Depending on if you use wireframe view then over to one of the lines of the given mesh. Then continue with the next, linking goes from child-to-parent object. But you probably knew that already.

It is much easier to do it in the schematic view.

Well, there is always something to learn :drinks:

I added the Crane.

This is a result after some quick texturing of the bigger parts.

Texturing or UVW unwrapping is not as easy as I hoped, it takes a lot of time to position and scale each face.

post-32175-0-04778100-1365300135_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

when I map I copy model and delete any parts that repeat..such as wheels on your model...and break it up to lay flat from, say top view.

then when all parts are detached and lay flattened,I then attach them all I then add uvmap to it...quite an easy method.I use texporter to make template ,or you can render it from inside max. to a bmp or jpg

An even easier way if you work from photo ref and have good photos from different angles is to just cut and paste the various surfaces that you need into a texture, and then as you model you can unwrap to your texture.

This method of mapping is the only way I can do it. I duplicate the parts into another line color (and group the original parts) and then lay them out into a rectangle and map all at once, then re-assemble, snapping to the original parts, then link, animate as req'd, then eliminate the original group. Sounds convoluted to the experienced probably but it works for me.

An even easier way if you work from photo ref and have good photos from different angles is to just cut and paste the various surfaces that you need into a texture, and then as you model you can unwrap to your texture.

That is what I do, First I make a general texture setup with the photos that I have, then unwrap to that texture in 3dsmax.

The thing is that 3dsmax 8 does not keep the faces nicely together, alot of small details are just loose faces in the uv-map. Some faces are not even visible in 3D. I am considering to make a few parts in the texture that are light, medium, dark color. then use these areas for alot of those small and unimportant faces. Thus sharing the same texture on different places...

Also when I change something to my 3D model and re-import it: the texture mapping of the changed elements is gone and has to be redone. So I have to make sure the 3D model is 100% finished before texturing, to prevent loss of work. This is probably the downside of using a different program for 3D modelling.

Sunday I bought a 3D model for a Humvee for a dollar. But was not entirely satisfied with it. I started a model myself.

post-32175-0-38068600-1365521811.png

Why not just model everything in max like normal people? I don't see why anyone would use industrial CAD for games.

Why not just model everything in max like normal people? I don't see why anyone would use industrial CAD for games.

Because I already know how to shape 3D with that particular interface,

I have no ambition to learn the bulk of 3dsmax functions now, and want to see if this workflow can give me a few low-poly objects in the 1984 range.

A screenshot of the HMMWV progress. This is the M998 model. Later it will be converted to the M1025 armoured weapons carrier as well.

post-32175-0-88504300-1365814315_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerwin
  • Like 3

The M1025 Basic Armour HMMWV is mostly there now.

What is left is more texturing, making a working gun, and adding lower detail lods.

I now first use the 'pack UV' in 3dsmax unwrapping, which makes texturing a little easier then before.

post-32175-0-45108700-1366299836_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

nice texturing work on those :ok: and yes automatted unwraping and wrapping can do miracles sometime when used smartly (ie. not in my case :lol: )

Thanks,

The Pack UV I did is far from automatic unwrapping, it is just less of a mess. ;)

Finally the easier one of my vehicles is finished. The HMMWV is up for download on my website, follow the link in the first post of this topic. You will find both the M998 and M1025 variant there; the basic plain Jeep configuration and the well known patrol vehicle with the .50 cal machine gun.

I do have a problem with implementing the vehicles beyond just armed recon targets. The terrain ini files do have activeyear statements to make vehicles appear in modern times: to ADD them. But I cannot see how to REPLACE the vintage jeeps+(fuel)trucks? Except by overwriting the vintage vehicles entirely in the groundobjects folder.

Edited by gerwin
  • Like 2

great work. also I really like your artwork Gerwin,great stuff

Thanks, I was really trying back then.

Regarding the problem in my previous post about populating the airfields with more modern vehicles.

I read about a statement called 'InactiveYear=xxxx' which might be just what I need.

although it does require one to edit many entries int the targets.ini: inactiveyear for vintage vehicles, new entries for the modern vehicles (Humvee, Hemtt cargo, Hemtt fuel)

It would be so much easier if the types.ini would provide for this.

Edited by gerwin

it sure does...

[TargetType083]

Name=Spitfire9

FullName=Parked Spitfire IX

ModelName=SpitfireIX.LOD

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=1942

TargetValue=50

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=0.04

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=16100.0

DestroyedEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion

DestroyedModel=SpitfireIXDest.LOD

SecondaryEffect=VehicleFireEffect

SecondaryChance=100

list in targets ini, the types ini start year turns it on

however, locations still must be plotted.

for examples, go through the targets and types inis for Iran/Iraq 2003, Persian Gulf, the 'modern' North Africa, etc....