I never found the time/energy to create a mission myself (doh!), but reading a section in one of my aviation books brought up an idea:

Surprise mission "KE007"

Player: Russian pilot

Sitting on alarm in a Su-15 based at Dolinsk-Sokol AB

mission: intercept US RC-135

what do you do when you see the a/c and find out is not a military RC-135 but a civil (???) B-747 (Korean Airlines Flight 007')? ...They don't react to your signaling (flashing posi lights, firing a burst of tracers)... Do you follow orders and take it down???

Might be nice to set it up like this with a "surprise" to the player and let him decide... (Quite sarcastic, though.)

...Even a trascript of the Russian radio transmission would be available.....

A human tragedy as well as an intriguing piece of history - the more you read, the more you want to know!

Maybe someone finds this interesting, too...

Edited by stingray77

spending time to recreate shooting down of civilian airliner..? Yeah that's a great idea, on par with Modern Warfare 2 airport shootout...

shesh

• Like 1

With the Mission Editor it is done very fast. ;-)

You only need a Repaint for Veltro´s 747 in Korean Airlines colors. ;-)

if one HAS Ed's Jumbo Jet, of course

good to see it didn't get Purged! I thought it had!!

The catch (of course) would not be the skill to take down the airliner (despite the overshooting-situation when, shortly before the shootdown, 007 went from FL330 to 350), but the conscious decision whether to obey orders or not...

Which is of course a "no brainer." Just as what actually happened. Follow orders and shoot. Because if you don't what is the point of doing it? Do you land and log into an online virtual Gulag simulator? Did this mission about two years ago. Not a very big challenge. I also rammed a P-3 with a Finback ala Wang Wei. Also shot down an Iranian airliner with a Tico. Don't think there is any modder wanting to put his name on a "War Crimes and Atrocities of the Cold War" mission pack. I maybe wrong.......

Edited by CrazyhorseB34