ValAstur

The "Iron Lady" is gone...

Now she was a politician she stuck to her guns and never back down... the new breed in the UK could learn a lot from her. She was a great woman, though many will say the opposite. May she rest in peace... :salute:

• Like 1

RIP to I think one of three most important people that influenced the world in my childhood (the other being Reagan and John Paul II)

<S>

• Like 5

Yep - totally hated by a lot in the UK - I wont be shedding any tears

Edited by MigBuster

Whilst definitely a 'Marmite' figure (at least, in the UK) there was much to admire and I guess her adversaries would sum her up as 'formidible'. I hope the State Funeral is respected as she was a true great Briton.

• Like 1

Liked her resolve, her decisions and politics(economics) not at all...

I think it better to be someone respected but disagreed with than to be someone you can't respect regardless of views.

• Like 2

Main problems with her was economical cuts for the most weak parts of the UK society. For external policy I think he made a good job (for the interest of her country of course).

A Freudian slip there Stratos...

• Like 2

If i´m right about that freudian slip, it is not such thing. The position about the Argentine claims to the Falklands are different to the position about the War. I agree with the Argentines that they had a right over the Islands wich has never, and will never be compensated in any form. However, i doubt the British had any other option than to reply strongly to the invasion. Even if the UK was thinking of give them back the day before the invasion, you can´t let anybody to get something out of you by force. That´s what could have justified Operation Corporate more than any other thing. If anything, the British servicemen are the ones the UK is to owe, not Thatcher, however i don´t think many other people would have made the right decision.

Like many (most?) in the UK I will not be shedding any tears either. Handled the Falklands well but thats it, at home she was a butcher.

Craig

She layed the basement for the wrong industrial development of UK. From industrial nation to financial nation.

But she was a stong leader.

She layed the basement for the wrong industrial development of UK. From industrial nation to financial nation ruin.

fixed that for you

Yep great that all the weak around her let her cast an economy based on virtual money - as we wallow in a never ending recession..........still cant blame her for deciding to lend all the virtual money to people who were going to virtually pay it all back. :doh:

• Like 1

True, very controversial as a politician and a person, but leaving the land of the living usually closes any controversy. So RIP anyway.

If i´m right about that freudian slip...

You weren't.

She layed the basement for the wrong industrial development of UK. From industrial nation to financial nation.

But she was a stong leader.

This pretty much sums up my view also.

RIP

As a Woman, in a Man's World..fair play to her. But her Policies?..... She started the whole ball rolling, that has lead to the UK being in the sh*t it is today...So, I won't be breaking out the Champagne...but I won't miss her either

Baroness Thatcher was a ROCK STAR! Her balls were bigger than most! GOD SAVE THE QUENN, Thanks be to Maggie!

• Like 2

Maggie was a Brit through and through and like all British politicians, she was both loved and hated. There is no denying her impact on the UK. RIP from an outsider that admired her very much, but did not have to live under her internal policies.

Possibly best PM the UK ever had, barring Churchill.

That rare thing, a politician motivated more by conviction than power or popularity; she makes the likes of Tony Blair look like the self-seeking and untrustworthy people they were. There's a good reason why people in the Forces here tend to refer to Mrs T more or less affectionately as 'Maggie' while Mr Blair is more commonly referred to as 'TCB', which you can look up on Arrsepedia, if you don't know what it means - http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/TCB . Arrsepedia's own entry for Mrs T is a fair summary, tho written in that site's usual tongue-in-cheek, 'Forces Humour' style it's really quite to the point - http://www.arrse.co....garet_Thatcher. Makes a nice comparison with TCB's equally to-the-point entry - http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Tony_Blair

Above all else, she had the gumption to save the British citizens of the Falklands - to which territory the Argentine claim is doubtful, nobody should be taken in by claims to the contrary - from what her predecessor Jim Callaghan acerbically but quite accurately described as 'a bunch of f***ing fascists'.

It's quite simply untrue that most in the UK hate her.

Some do, and a few of these shamed themselves publicly by some quite disgraceful 'celebrations' at her passing. But Mrs T has plenty of people here who appreciate her qualities and her record, the good and the not-so-good.

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1