Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

OFF Relief: A Night "OFF"

I finally cracked last night. I had had enough, enough of reading and note taking, enough of staring into my word processor for hours at a time. I needed a break. So I walked over, fired up the gaming computer, and started OFF.

For the sake of my old pilots - who sit in suspended animation until this summer - I created a new pilot: Cecil Graves, and put him into a plane that, surprisingly (given my name) I haven't flown in OFF: The Sopwith Camel.

Cecil's first patrol took him up over the lines on a patrol in beautiful clear weather. The patrol was eventful too! In addition to dodging flak and not getting lost (his patrol sector was in a location I wasn't terribly familiar with) we wound up coming across a low-flying formation of DFW's painted in lavender and green. I rolled my Camel over and descended - opening fire on the first DFW as I screamed past at a high rate of speed. After flying in the 1916 early 1917 era for so long, this new Camel felt like a jet fighter by comparison! I circled back around - the clattering of machine gun fire was deafening as all sides poured on the fire - also a big change from the intermittent rat-tat-tat's I'm used to hearing. As I came back around from my turn, I opened fire again - the force of the twin Vickers guns was tremendous and with my trusty Track-IR equipped, I leaned forward and looked through my gun sight to guide the rounds in.

It was incredibly fast. It was incredibly violent. And, in the end, a DFW was left on fire, plummeting to the earth.

It was a tremendous first patrol back. Cecil performed well - never losing control of the tricky widow-maker of the Sopwith Camel. We turned, headed for home, and descended across our side of the lines.

And as I sat back, hearing the wind whipping through my cockpit, watching the sunlight dancing across the shell-torn landscape below, and looked off my wingtip to see my fellow Camel pilots, my mind finally stopped.

It was glorious. And yet again, I owed a debt, not only to the devs - guys like Pol and Winder and Shred and Sandbagger - but also to you guys: The power supply in my rig was donated, as well as the TrackIR system that I can no longer fly without.

Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by CaptSopwith

Bravo CaptSopwith!

What a great experience for you in a stressful time. I too just picked up the joystick after a 9-month layoff and it feels good to experience the wonderful world of OFF once again. Good luck in your schooling and in the unfriendly skies as well.

I did none of that and so cannot take the salute. But I am glad that you are back to getting some use out of your OFF. We all need a bit of leisure time to blow off steam. If we don't we end up going mad. Mad! I tell you!!!!!!