33LIMA

First Eagles wish list #1

In case I'm missing something (not for the first time)...am i right in thinking that there is no easy way, short of the original modder making the change, to do things like swap the observer's Spandau MG on the A Team Roland and Aviatiks for a Parabellum?

I recall you could 'move' the MG ammo drum out of the SE5a cockpit (which I followed a tutorial to do, to provide a 'pit for the RE8) but I'm assuming no such mod can be made in these cases? The data.ini files both name the correct model of MG (7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14), but this evidently has no impact on the 3d model.

Edited by 33LIMA

I'm pretty sure it would require the original source model. So the only way would be to ask for a fix at the A-team site.

• Like 1

As Whiteknight wrote, not without the original max source file

• Like 1

I thought so; will try again to make the request to Capun; tho generally, provided it's 'legal', I don't like to ask busy folk to do something I could do myself. Not a big deal, they are nice models as they are and I'm grateful for them, although the Aviatik is a look-alike (the actual Aviatik CI & CII had inset 'comma' rudders, for example) which IIRC the A Team has confirmed is from Silverwish's Wings of War.

Anyone remember Wings of War? It was fun, looked great, and the only game that ever succeeded in luring me into online play. At one point it seemed that moders might make it into something like a realistic sim. You can see the Aviatik in this clip, about two minutes in:

• Like 1

I absolutely loved WoW. I had a squad of 6 up and running and spent many afternoons shooting each other up. As you said it looked like the developers were going to develop it into something realistic but they did not. The missions were very challenging, the audio between pilots was funny and interesting too. It reminded me of Flight Unlimited, another MS Flight Simulator beater that died an early and unwarranted death.

Edited by VFC_Baxter

Me too i loved Wow the terrains were great , & the coding was spot on, such a rich ground target environment & no frame hit, a bit like birds of prey i guess

I have the Wow Max files if anyone wants them?

they come in 2 zips unpacked they are 46megs with 2 plugins for max

Send them to Stephen1918. Maybe there's something he would like to work with.

The only thing that sucks of capun's conversions of WoW is the back gunners clipping errors. I hate those legs clipping on the fuselage of the planes, in some of the planes the back gunner clipping errors are really annoying. I hope somebody can fix it...

A plane that wasn't coverted from Wow is the Fokker E.IV, i would love to see that plane of WoW converted to FE because it does have a very nice cockpit.

BTW, WoW is still one of my favourite games, and my son love it too. One of the few games that always is on my HD.

Edited by Hansa

The only thing that sucks of capun's conversions of WoW is the back gunners clipping errors. I hate those legs clipping on the fuselage of the planes, in some of the planes the back gunner clipping errors are really annoying. I hope somebody can fix it...

A plane that wasn't coverted from Wow is the Fokker E.IV, i would love to see that plane of WoW converted to FE because it does have a very nice cockpit.

BTW, WoW is still one of my favourite games, and my son love it too. One of the few games that always is on my HD.

I think a while back someone mentioned that you could use the hide trick found in the knowledge base to hide the gunner's legs on these models. In the Aviatik, it's R_Thigh and L_Thigh. Of course, don't look down into his cockpit in external view, because the poor guy will be legless, due to wounds suffered earlier in the war....

• Like 1

I think a while back someone mentioned that you could use the hide trick found in the knowledge base to hide the gunner's legs on these models. In the Aviatik, it's R_Thigh and L_Thigh. Of course, don't look down into his cockpit in external view, because the poor guy will be legless, due to wounds suffered earlier in the war....

Can somebody post a Data.ini with the changes needed to make the gunner's legs disappear?? The worst cases of clipping are present in the gunners of the Gotha, the Roland Walfisch and the Aviatik

Can somebody post a Data.ini with the changes needed to make the gunner's legs disappear?? The worst cases of clipping are present in the gunners of the Gotha, the Roland Walfisch and the Aviatik

Here you go. Insert this into your existing Aviatk data.ini. at the end of the [AircraftData] section:

Component[019]=HidePart1

Component[020]=HidePart2

[HidePart1]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=R_Thigh

DestroyedNodeName=R_Thigh

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

[HidePart2]

ModelNodeName=L_Thigh

DestroyedNodeName=L_Thigh

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

I don't use the Walfish or the Gotha. Sorry. You'd have to use the out file provided to find the component names of those gunner's legs, especially with the Gotha, with its many gunners. You just add new components for each set of legs. Part of the Aviatik gunner (his butt) still shows through the side of the machine gun ring, which you can't eliminate. Put // in front of YawLimited=TRUE in the gunner section of the data.ini, fly a test mission, and you'll see why. The "gunner" is acutally just parts of the machine gun itself. Whatever you do, don't hide Waist, even though it sounds logical, because you'll turn Roland the legless Aviatik gunner into Roland the invisible Aviatik gunner.

Edited by Heck

[HidePart2]

ModelNodeName=L_Thigh

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

Looking at the above lines, I'm wondering if it's possible to prevent aircrew from disappearing when killed, by changing relevant entries for 'DetachWhenDestroyed=' from 'TRUE' to 'FALSE'.

This was debated in this thread...

http://combatace.com/topic/37798-keeping-the-pilot-from-disappearing-when-shot/

...but discussion drifted off onto the (admittedly-superior) concept of injured aircrew models without much consideration being given to just stopping them vanishing.

A plane which BEHAVED as it had incapacitated crew, even if they were still animated - even gunners - would be better than 'slumped to the bottom of the cockpit' (which is how I rationalise the disappearances) IMHO.

• Like 2

[HidePart2]

ModelNodeName=L_Thigh

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

Looking at the above lines, I'm wondering if it's possible to prevent aircrew from disappearing when killed, by changing relevant entries for 'DetachWhenDestroyed=' from 'TRUE' to 'FALSE'.

This was debated in this thread...

http://combatace.com...ring-when-shot/

...but discussion drifted off onto the (admittedly-superior) concept of injured aircrew models without much consideration being given to just stopping them vanishing.

A plane which BEHAVED as it had incapacitated crew, even if they were still animated - even gunners - would be better than 'slumped to the bottom of the cockpit' (which is how I rationalise the disappearances) IMHO.

I don't think it would work, 33Lima, because I believe the pilot disappearance thing is hard coded into the game, and not dependent on ini settings. TK was just firm about a no gore setting for his lite sim concept.

Thanks!!! i'm gonna try it to see what happens...

Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work, Hansa. Glad I could help.

what if somone makes a slightly smaller pilot that looks dead and adds him as a seat(if you can in FE) or as a weapon. if he is small enough then he will be unsean until the real pilot dies then it will look like there is a dead pilot.

what if somone makes a slightly smaller pilot that looks dead and adds him as a seat(if you can in FE) or as a weapon. if he is small enough then he will be unsean until the real pilot dies then it will look like there is a dead pilot.

Now THAT's what I can a bit of lateral thinking! Observers would be do-able too even tho they might still spin about. I wonder if Stephen1918 might consider trying this in his next plane?

I spent some time trying to make an "incapacitated" pilot as whitekinight suggested. But it isn't going to happen because you can always see part of the dead guy sticking through the live guy before he gets hit. I flew a lot of missions trying to get the pilot killed, it's not as easy as it might seem!

It looks like "slumped to the bottom of the cockpit" will have to do.

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 1

Thanks for trying, it was worth a go. Hope it didn't delay the BE2c TOO long tho...! :)

• Like 1