Sign in to follow this  
Capitaine Vengeur

150 years ago this day: Vive la Légion !

Today, 30 April 2013, is the 150th "Camerone Day" commemorated by the French Foreign Legion. Fewer than the Spartans at the Thermopylae, more overwhelmed numerically than the Texians at Alamo, and less prepared than both of them, the Legionnaires gave at Camerone an example of determined stand, courage and self-abnegation that entered History.

On 30 April 1863, during the French intervention in Mexico, a detachment of 65 Legionnaires (French, Belgians, Poles, Swiss, Germans, Italians...), led by Capitaine Danjou, was screening an important convoy to the French army besieging Puebla, when they first had to face 800 Mexican Juarist horsemen in the early morning. Standing fast in the open ground, they could fall back in order to a local inn with a walled courtyard, known as the Hacienda Camaron, and firmly entrenched there. Later in the morning, up to 3000 Mexican troops surrounded and repeatedly assaulted the place. Aflame by their oath to their captain, killed shortly afterwards, to fight to the death, the diminishing handful of heroes held their position and fixed the enemy till the evening, hitting more than eight times their own number in Mexicans. The last few survivors were hacked by a volley fire while leading a gallant last bayonet charge out of their flaming shelter, after running out of ammo. That day the convoy was saved, and the Legion of expendable stateless bastards was recognized at last as a formidable elite corps.

Battle of Camarón - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every April 30 since has been celebrated as the "Camerone Day", the most important day in the Legionnaire traditions. It was so even in 1954 at Dien Bien Phu, one week before the strongpoint fell. On this day, on any place in the World where Legionnaires stand, the account of the feat is ceremoniously read, the oath repeated, and in France, respectful tribute is paid to Capitaine Danjou's prosthetic wooden hand, the most sacred relic in the Legion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[ Also 150 years ago on this 30 April 1863, a few thousands miles North: The maneuvers in Northern Virginia between Robert Lee's Confederate Army and Joe Hooker's Federal Army had stopped somewhere West of Fredericksburg, at the side of the Wilderness Forest. The next days would see what is considered as Lee's most daring maneuver and brilliant victory, at Chancerlorsville. ]

• Like 4

I am going to enter for the legion until my 28 years, today i still have 22 (tomorrow i do 23).

Legio Patria Nostra! :salute:

I am going to enter for the legion until my 28 years, today i still have 22 (tomorrow i do 23).

Legio Patria Nostra! :salute:

Happy birthday! And happy 1st of May, too...

• Like 1

Salute to real men at arms...................