Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Albatros-Man strikes again

Looking into RoF I find the following Albatros versions:

1. Albatros D.II - with "ear radiators"

2. Albatros D.II late - with radiator centered in upper wing

- no D.III early

- no D.III Johannisthal (vertical rudder)

3. Albatros D.III OAW - rounded rudder

- no Albatros D.V

- no Albatros D.V uprated

4. Albatros D.Va

- no Albatros D.Va 200

In OFF the variety is better.

1. Albatros D.II - with "ear radiators"

- no D.II with center-wing radiator

2. Albatros D.III early (centered radiator)

3. Albatros D.III (Johannisthal - vertical rudder)

4. Albatros D.III (OAW - rounded rudder)

5. Albatros D.V - version with "hunchback" headrest

6. Albatros D.V uprated - headrest removed for better vision

7. Albatros D.Va

8. Albatros D.Va 200 - faster version with stronger engine

I wonder if it would be too big a job to complete the production lines.

For the D.II, the model would only have to be changed slightly (the radiator).

If you should be working on it already, a simple Smiley would be answer enough... :pilotfly:

Edited by Olham

I don't think the D.III(OAW) is missing from OFF...

Check Jasta 10 or 28w from July '17.

The D.III early and D.III Johannisthal is the same plane, actually...

(Do you mean central-off set radiator distinction?)

The D.V uprated (lower wing reinforcement-Merc.D.IIIa engine) is not used properly in OFF.

Sould be issued from late 1917 along with the D.Va issue.

With or without headrests the planes used in the second half of 1917 were common D.V-s...

Edited by elephant

Damn, you're right, elephant - rounded rudder is there.

I'll change the above post.

The D.III early in OFF has a centered radiator; the later ones have an offset radiator.

Edited by Olham

Yes, I'd love to see more Albatros two-seaters in WOFF. :biggrin:

Olham, do you mean the D I should be easy to make? You say the D II should be easy to make, but it's already there. Oh, wait, I see what you mean, no D II with an airfoil radiator. Gotcha now.

As a general observation regarding "early" or "late." Maybe I'm just pedantic but those strike me as flight sim terms only. I can't find any mention of them anywhere else--not saying there isn't mention like that, just that I can't find it. Albatros switched the radiators in the first batch of DIIIs ordered in October 1916. The last D III production order was inked in March and the planes were arriving in late April. How are planes from the first of three production orders both early and late? Okay, maaaabye since the radiator changeover came some 75% of the way through the first production batch. But look at the D II--they were all ordered in August or September. "Early" and "late" seem hardly relevant in a two-month span, especially when use of the fuselage radiators and wing radiators didn't have a hard changeover point but experienced a gradual blend during the production. One plane was built with fuse rads, the next an airfoil rad, the one after that fuse rads, etc. Thus, using flight sim terms, a plane with fuselage radiators--"early"-- could be built after one with an airfoil radiator, yet be termed "early," even though it's not as old. But if these terms refer to design only, lets remember that the very first D II ever, which became Boelcke's 386/16, had an airfoil radiator. This means the first D II was "late" and then they made "early" ones and then made both "late" and "early" ones at the same time before thay made all "late" ones? :crazy:

I guess they have to call them something in OFF to differentiate them, since many may not care about using production batches and serial numbers. But, meh.

Anyway, to complete the production lines, as you said, Olham, we need the D I. Maybe one sim or the other will get around to releasing it someday. And +1 to what Hasse wrote!

Thank you for the detail, Jim! I didn't know, that they were using the different radiator variants

like that, mixed on a timeline, forth and back.

Then of course the terms "early" and "late" make no sense.

They should rather be called "D.II ear radiator" and "D.II airfoil radiator" then.

I guess when we go on like that, people will stone us for attempts of delaying the release even more.

Thank you for the detail, Jim! I didn't know, that they were using the different radiator variants

like that, mixed on a timeline, forth and back.

Then of course the terms "early" and "late" make no sense.

They should rather be called "D.II ear radiator" and "D.II airfoil radiator" then.

I guess when we go on like that, people will stone us for attempts of delaying the release even more.

Olham /JFM;

I have been following this thread and have little expertise in these aircraft variants. Do you know if these variants were identified somehow by markings or numerals of some sort. It would be helpful to actually see photos of these variants to help identify that which you speak of. :dntknw:

Have a great day folks!