Sign in to follow this  
MudWasp48

German 2 seater campaign

Any recommendations on starting one?

I enjoy bombing missions. The Roland CII is fun to fly , but no bomb loadout.

DFW C.V. is a strange bird, hard to see where I'm going in cockpit view.

Hannover C III might fit, but the bomb loadout seems small

The DFW C.V is the best of the bunch. It climbs very well and has a very high ceiling, making it a challenging two-seater for Entente fighters to intercept. It also has a bombsight, which makes bombing considerably more easier. For some reason it's the only two-seater in OFF with a bombsight. And if you do get shot, the DFW also works nicely as a glider, especially if you were smart enough to have plenty of altitude when you got hit.

I hope two-seaters will be even more realistic and better modelled in WOFF. In OFF P3, two-seater careers aren't as well developed as fighter careers. But it can still be fun to fly them. Gives a very different perspective on the air war. Remember, that's what the majority of WW1 airmen did - they served either as two-seater pilots or observers. Fighters existed simply because it was important to prevent the enemy two-seater crews from doing their jobs.

The DFW is a very good two-seater; forgiving and easy to fly.

It is fast and strong enough to let Nieuport 11 or even 17 behind, when they have not yet reached her altitude.

You simply climb away and leave them behind and below.

The engine block in front of you is a "nose-warmer" in the cold up there. You get used to it.

I even shot down fighter aircraft with the DFW - what I didn't hit got peppered by my rear gunner.

The Bristol Fighter is a joy for bombing! Fast and furious you approach and attack railyards,

and when you get attacked by fighters, you have a two-seater you can use like a fighter to fend them off.

Edited by Olham

The Bristol Fighter is a joy for bombing! Fast and furious you approach and attack railyards,

and when you get attacked by fighters, you have a two-seater you can use like a fighter to fend them off.

It is, but which two-seater Abteilung in the Luftstreitkräfte has access to it? :biggrin:

Most of the fighter squadrons have the chance to get Brisfits.

Yes, but the OP is asking about German 2-seater campaigns. I haven't yet encountered a German two-seater or single-seater unit that has Brisfits...

I've never done a German 2-seater campaign so I can't offer any suggestions. How is it that ones drops bombs in OFF? Do you know the key command?

Hey Shiloh, I assigned a button for arming second weapon, and another to "fire" second weapon.

I did start a campaign with the DFW C.V., so far just recon missions. Chose FA(A) 289b, Jan. 1917, down near the Swiss mountains so I can enjoy some eye candy. So far two missions and 2 recon runs. Hope there are a few bomb runs coming

Hasse Wind, where is the bomb sight on the DFW c.v.? When in the cockpit I've a few views.... pilot view, iron sight (forward gun), pit guages, and wing compass.

Yes, but the OP is asking about German 2-seater campaigns.

Yes, but I thought it could be such a nice plane, that he might want to shift sides for once.

Found it...F7... for bombsight view

I was having fun catching a ride in the rear gunner seat. Stupid AI pilot almost crased us into a mountain! Good thing I saw other squad planes suddenly grab air and hit F6 real fast.

Me switch sides? or Shiloh?

Had a "Scramble" mission, Oh Joy! Damm Nieuports!!!! Good thing the AI rear gunner is better than the AI pilot. We didn't stay in the air long....

Yep, you better pilot the crate. That way you can still shoot at opponents,

but also make sure the course and altitude is right.

Hey Shiloh, I assigned a button for arming second weapon, and another to "fire" second weapon.

I did start a campaign with the DFW C.V., so far just recon missions. Chose FA(A) 289b, Jan. 1917, down near the Swiss mountains so I can enjoy some eye candy. So far two missions and 2 recon runs. Hope there are a few bomb runs coming

Hasse Wind, where is the bomb sight on the DFW c.v.? When in the cockpit I've a few views.... pilot view, iron sight (forward gun), pit guages, and wing compass.

I'm currently flying in the Lafayette Escadrille down that way and just love flying low over the hills and mountains. Getting shot down in that area is no treat in my experience as it's tough to find a place to land. Are you that obscure aerodrome that is way further south than any of the other Germans? I do plan on going on a rogue mission to attack it someday - for the scenery of course. I'll have to find those commands and program them into my stick - shouldn't be too difficult and I have a few buttons left.

Found it...F7... for bombsight view

I was having fun catching a ride in the rear gunner seat. Stupid AI pilot almost crased us into a mountain! Good thing I saw other squad planes suddenly grab air and hit F6 real fast.

Me switch sides? or Shiloh?

Had a "Scramble" mission, Oh Joy! Damm Nieuports!!!! Good thing the AI rear gunner is better than the AI pilot. We didn't stay in the air long....

F7...good to know. I think he was talking about you as the original poster as your question pertained to German units.

Edited by Shiloh

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be the single-seater, flying alone with a Death Wish.

Will do...your french friends already tore me up in a scramble mission...OUCH!

I just joined 289b and flew my first mission ever in a DFW C.V. She's a nice girl and climbs like a beast! I never dropped a bomb before in OFF yet hit 3 of 3 on the enemy airfield. WooHoo!

F7 does nothing though. I just lined her up, looked over the edge and let them fly. It was awesome and the scenery down there is just stunning!

The bombsight in DFW is super accurate. You can't miss if you just aim with the center of the sight. It's like using modern precision weapons.

That sounds great. How do I access it though? When I hit F7 nothing happens.

Have you mapped a key for it? Check the settings. I control the bombsight through a button on my joystick.

It was F7 by default for me, had to be in cockpit view for it to work.

Yeah, the scenery down there is gorgeous.