Sign in to follow this  
Dave

How Is the 1.2.4 Patch?

Title says it all.

No idea, too busy trying to taxi the Huey on the airfield. Lot's of BOOM... ;)

Are you guys seeing lower FPS than what you used to see?

I made up my mind to buy FC3 based on the performance I was seeing in the SU-25T in DCS World last summer, but now with FC3 my FPS in the A-10A is kinda sucky.  I've been having to dial the graphics down, with mixed/minimal results.

When I bought this laptop a couple of years ago, I got lots of feedback from folks with A-10C that it would handle it no problem.  I don't know if I got some bum advice or if performance has really just gotten that much worse.

It might have handled it back then - now with gfx changes to the core game in later patches it likely needs more resource so has pushed you passed the limit.

Of course you may have to try different drivers - or is your OS still in a good state? is the hard disk full, have you got 200 spyware programs running when you play ?

Then advanced driver settings come into play for FPS - even for BMS on a GTX-670 it seems!

If it is a hardware issue then you need to get a new Laptop - kinda the disadvantage of them I suppose.

The A-10A's cockpit I think is higher res than the 25T's, so it could be a case of more polys lowering your performance. Unfortunately, a laptop is never the best solution for gaming because when things like this happen (as they always do), you can't upgrade your CPU and/or GPU to fix it.

Your only choice is to lower your detail settings to compensate.

Personally, I've found the latest 1.2.4 versions to run faster than before. They've got a bit of optimizing done. FPS are also dependent on number of units in a mission, of course.

It might have handled it back then - now with gfx changes to the core game in later patches it likely needs more resource so has pushed you passed the limit. Of course you may have to try different drivers - or is your OS still in a good state? is the hard disk full, have you got 200 spyware programs running when you play ? Then advanced driver settings come into play for FPS - even for BMS on a GTX-670 it seems! If it is a hardware issue then you need to get a new Laptop - kinda the disadvantage of them I suppose.

Nah, my laptop is fine. No spyware or clutter. 500GB HD is less than half full.

I read threads like this one and get the feeling that it's not just me or my laptop: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=101491 Those are the kind of FPS issues I see. Solid 30fps then I look in a certain direction or someone blows up (or something happens that I don't even see or know about) and things drop to 15. That kind of stuff.

I just thought I'd ask here. I know Dave was using an Alienware laptop at one point. I was interested in how it was holding up...

Edited by malibu43

Do not use rockets, or give them to any AI units! Ditto cluster weapons! :grin:

So far I havent detected any FPS loss.

Hmmm... Well, I guess I should have played around with DCS World a little more before I pulled the trigger on FC3. Oh well. Hopefully there will be some performance optimization at some point (sooner would be better, at least with EDGE, I hope...).

In the mean time I reinstalled FC2, and, once I force some MSAA and AF through CCC, it looks pretty good. That will do for now.

Stumbled across RadeonPro (not sure how I missed it before), which made it pretty easy to apply a custom overclock for DCS World. Went from 2.9ghz to 3.4ghz and bumped by GPU clock up to 900mhz from 800mhz, and I now get between 20-30 fps in the campaign missions (pretty stable), with some occasional dips, but very playable overall! Haven't seen anything threatening in terms of temps so far.

Can't wait for EDGE to see what that does...

At a bare minimum, DX10 and 11 do the same things as DX9 faster. So for the same picture quality you get better performance. Of course, over the years devs tend to throw other features in as well, ones that would bring a DX9 system to its knees, so the overall performance in DX10 and 11 tends to be lower than in DX9...even though it looks better.

Depending on how this is done, we could get any combination of improved performance and picture.