Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Battle of Britain Fighter FM Pack Beta 0.90

The latest update of the previously released BoB fighter FM's, beta 0.90. I think these represent the standard approach I have been trying to develop for WW2 fighter FM's. They may not mix in very well with other FM's so take a look at the ReadMe to see whats going on. Required Downloads:

Bf-110 C-4 from the A-Team site.

Spitfire 1A: http://combatace.com/files/file/13510-sf2-ww2-spitfire-mk1a-by-mod-mafiatmf/

Hurricane 1A: http://combatace.com/files/file/13646-sf2-ww2-hawker-hurricane-ia-etobob-by-raven/

BF-109E-3: http://combatace.com/files/file/1352-bf109e-3/

Changes: Empty weights have been increased based on actual documents when possible. Pilot weight included. The BF-110 and Bf-109 have had significant changes to the flight model. The Hurricane has had the lift increased quite a bit. Lots of changes to damage modeling.

Here are the new FM's: BoBfighterFMs0.90.zip

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of different aircraft variants for BoB but do plan on doing a BF-109E-4 fighter bomber, a BF-109E-7 with the "N" engine, a Spitfire MkIIA, and some Hurricane II variants. I will just upload them to this thread when they are ready. [ Still waiting to see what Russo comes up with!] Cheers.

• Like 1

yeah, the bump mapping on the Emil is lookin sharp!!

thanks for the work

would you like me to sticky this thread?

Cool the FM I made was just to get it in the air. Carrier On!

These are great stuff, Baffmeister. Thanks.

Thanks guys and thanks for the sticky offer Wrench. I think it might be a good idea at some point in the future because I don't think these will ever get uploaded as a formal package. They are more like "Permanent Beta". When things are further along maybe a sticky that contains all the BoB fighter and bomber FMs in one pack might be worth considering.

Baffy...ive updated the 109E 3 and 4 and 7..

the data.in has changed as it now has fuselage and no nose or tail mesh...but you can keep data for them but need to set parent as fuselage.I originally cut fuselage as there was decal bleed,which is gone (exported from max With Decals,sorts that).and decal count limit was low,now its higher its ok as one mesh.

file here.

http://combatace.com...14020-bf109e-3/

Edited by russouk2004

Things always show up after uploading files. I noticed 2 Hurricanes returning to base with one intact wing and the other wing with just the very small inner section remaining after some battle damage. It's probably related to the changes made to the damage rating entries. You can try changing the outer wing sections DetachWhenDestroyed entry to FALSE and change the inner wing section DetachWhenDestroyed entry to TRUE for a quick fix. Probably lots of detail improvements possible with the BoB FM's so if you see problems or areas for improvement please pass along the details.

Also, a bit of a mix-up with the FM beta numbers. Russo's excellent new BF-109E-3 has a beta 0.90 FM and so does the latest pack upload. The one in the package is the latest version, for the older model, and is quite different but more experimental so it may be just as well that Russo's upload has the previous FM. I plan on posting a drop-in FM for the new model after a bit more testing. I think the engine table is "not quite right" so will take another look at that as well.

Baff I just put the Hurri into max for a look and I forgot to model a rib mesh for the left and right wing ends (wingroots) so the DetachWhenDestroyed entry for Left/Right/Outer wings should be set to FALSE. I'll have to fix the LOD's for all of the Hurri's. I planned on a drag and drop lod only update anyway to fix some other things I found when I done with the P-40's

Thanks for the info. With the new settings I mentioned I have seen a few entire wings come off. It doesn't look to bad with the missing meshes. Plus they are usually on fire so it covers things up a bit.

:biggrin:

Another glitch found, this time in the Spitfire 1A [Late]. The inner wings DamageRating should be set to DISABLED. I missed that one but the Spitfire 1A [Early] is OK.

for the TMF produced Spit? I don't know if we have the Max file for that one....but I'll look (then, it just getting a 3d Guru to tweek it if needed...oi!)

for the TMF produced Spit? I don't know if we have the Max file for that one....but I'll look (then, it just getting a 3d Guru to tweek it if needed...oi!)

It's just the way I'm testing the BoB FM's at the moment. All components set to DamageRating=Disabled. The aircraft are harder to shoot down and they can go through some interesting gyrations during the crash sequence, which sometimes takes a considerable length of time.

That's must be what some of the Japanese planes need, they float until dearly departed.

RAF fighter fm's 0.92 update. The 0.91 update was not released due to patch issues. The Bf-110 will have to wait and RussoUK has some new Bf-109 "Emil" models coming out that should fit in OK with these new FM's. Changes:

A Hurricane IIA and Spitfire 2A package included. You should be able to copy and paste the entire contents of the present Hurricane and Spitfire folders into these new folders and get a functioning airplane. [theoretically] It will leave some redundant  files. The Merlin XX engine with a 2 speed supercharger gives a big boost in low and high level performance for the Hurricane II but the Merlin XII in the Spitfire II has only a single speed supercharger and develops less power at low level than the Spitfire I but has a bit more power at high altitudes. Both these planes get a new cockpit ini but I haven't changed anything yet, they are more for future tinkering. The Spit II gets a bit more armor around the upper fuel tank.

Belly landings now possible with these FM's! I got some inspiration from Cliff11s' KAW F-82 . Lots of other interesting things going on with the F-82  [like engine smoke with WEP ] but I always worry about patch issues in SF-2 so the belly landings are all for now.

The engine tables now account for some ram air boost above full throttle height. This was quite significant in RL but most engine data available doesn't reflect it. They seem to be based on power output obtained in altitude chambers. Anyway, the changes give more realistic speeds at high altitude.

Landing gear and other changes to accommodate the new patch. No guarantees. 

I expect future changes to be infrequent and probably just tweaks to AI, slight FM tweaks, cockpit ini edits and landing gear adjustments. :blink:

Cheers.  RAFfighterFMS0.92.zip

• Like 1