F-4M Phantom[ FGR2]

This is a completey re vamped version of the original TMF F-4M, that's why I'm doing it as a seperate download.

If you have the TMF versions installed I strongley reccomend that you remove them before installing this pack as you will end up with lots of redundant files and less risk of something going wrong.

The model itself has been heavily modified by Ravenclaw, so you know it will be of the highest quality.

All skins are now jpegs and all are new......no two skins are the same regards to weathering etc.

All new bump maps.

Please read the readme for additional information.

Again, many thanks to Ravenclaw for the time he has spent helping me with this project.

• Like 6

Fandabidozi...

Grabbing it NOW!

Stunning work!

Best

Dag

yes! thanks Sundowner and Ravenclaw!

Very nice mod. Some problems noted though:

1. The fuel consumption is VERY low. Is this accurate? I was able to dogfight on 100% afterburner for five/ten minutes without running out of fuel.

2. I noticed in the DATA.ini file that the F-4M has an ECM position. Is this correct?

3. Like all F-4Ms (stock, NATO Fighers 5 and mod), these have the incorrect exhaust emitter. The Spey engine was not smoky like the J-79 and so should not have the dirty exhaust trail.

I've corrected the engines to behave as they should on fuel consumption (afterburner had negative fuel consumption rates!) and reset the exhausts to emit correctly (afterburner had the dry exhaust emitter set!)  :biggrin: 

Left Engine

TSFCM0=0.680
TSFCM1=0.853
AfterburnerTSFCM0=1.950
AfterburnerTSFCM1=2.383
MinFuelFlow=0.01
ExhaustEmitterName=CleanExhaustEmitter
ExhaustPosition=-0.65,-6.23,-0.58
AfterburnerNodeName=afterburner_L
AfterburnerEmitterName=F4AfterburnerEmitter
MinExtentPosition=-1.13,-6.28,-1.02
MaxExtentPosition=-0.14, -1.24,-0.04

Right Engine

TSFCM0=0.680
TSFCM1=0.853
AfterburnerTSFCM0=1.950
AfterburnerTSFCM1=2.383
MinFuelFlow=0.01
ExhaustEmitterName=CleanExhaustEmitter
ExhaustPosition=0.65,-6.23,-0.58
AfterburnerNodeName=afterburner_R
AfterburnerEmitterName=F4AfterburnerEmitter
MinExtentPosition= 1.13,-6.28,-1.02
MaxExtentPosition= 0.14, -1.24,-0.04
Edited by Wien1938
  • Like 1

Not sure about the fuel consumption thing as that is beyond me....lol.

The ECM station was added as a "very probable" addon in case of war, bear in mind the no RAF Phantoms ever fire a shot in anger so whatever you do in this game is really a case of "what if" so going on what happened with the Black Buck Vulcans it's fairly safe to assume that the Phantom would at least have been given some form of ECM if things ever got out of hand.

The engine set up is a bit of a mess really, you're right about the clean engines but every FGR I ever saw take off smoked like hell, so you'll notice the data ini has 4 engines........2 of which are supposed to be dummy engines soley to give us a smokey trail once the burners are engaged, it's one of those things limited by one's own perceptions and game engine limitations I'm afraid.

What you say seems quite sound, re: the probability of emergency upgrading of the RAF fleet in the event of imminent war with the Soviet Union. I wish I could find more information about such things as whether the FGs & FGR2s had the ECM wiring for the left/right-Sparrow station as undertaken on USAF F-4s during the Vietnam period. I know that a Phantom Electronic Warfare Training pod existed and it seems to have been an underwing pod, probably carried under one of the inner pylons. However, according to ex-Phantom pilots, the PEWT was very basic and "not a success".
I suspect we could probably just write "ECM" into the relevant Sparrow station and have some ECM "urgent operational requirement" pod installed there... wink2.gif.pagespeed.ce.DG-_ZgrqXc.gif 

There is some good footage here of FGR2 Phantoms in flight, the smoke trail is quite modest (or even non-existent) without the burners. That said, this airshow footage shows a stronger smoke trail!  :biggrin: 
The smoky trails from older jet engines were linked to unburnt fuel passing from the combustion chamber. You can see the trail on this F-4B.

Edited by Wien1938