Stratos

Why SF2 F5 looks different to the real one?

I'm not an F-5 Tiger Expert, but when I look at our F-5E in SF2 I feel there's something wrong on it when I compare it with pics I see of real F-5E's. I'm not saying that the SF2 F5 is wrong, simply that does not match with pics I have, maybe they are different versions or something, that's why I post this here, maybe will be able to clarify why they are different. For me is like the SF2 F5E nose is too large when compared with the real aircraft. Same goes for the cannons, they look too large to me.

Some pics:

0286181_zps88dcfb8c.jpg[/url]

img00001-21_zps68e7a3a7.jpg

1679966_zpsd98d1b98.jpg[/url]

img00002-20_zpsc867a219.jpg

Hope someone can help.

Aren´t there 2 different kind of noses for the Echo Tiger?

EDIT:

Yes there are different noses for the F-5E.

Normal one and the shark nose.

Edited by Soulfreak

Aren´t there 2 different kind of noses for the Echo Tiger?

No idea, maybe a Tiger expert will clarify!

Only one nose for the F-5E.

I think that the SF2 F-5 Tiger model is more a F-5A than a F-5E.

Is the photo to scale?

What nationality is that F-5E - I seem to be seeing long noses in most photos

Hey Soulfreak How's the converting those ground objects comming along? :biggrin:

What nationality is that F-5E - I seem to be seeing long noses in most photos

FAH is most probably Honduras Air Force I'd also say the perspective is not the same on screenshots and photos...

Unless I missed it, and given the screenshots, the only single seat F-5 released was a F-5A, then used for the F-5E, which might explain the differences.

Apparently we have at least a F-5E, I'll have to check that, didn't look at the LERX.

Yes, there are two main variants to the stock F-5E nose, the original one, close to the F-5A one, and the later one, called "sharknose", flatter, fitted to late Taiwan and Swiss models (and maybe others, but they are the only ones I remember to have used it consistently).

The nose in your pictures and screenshots both seem to be the regular, early version.

Take into account that some south american air forces (Brazil at least) refitted their F-5 with radar (of the Griffo family IIRC), leading to a modified, slightly longer nose, maybe there has been other.

Edited by Gunrunner

Is hard to get exact pictures and screenshots, but I think the SF version have a longer nose when compared to the Fuerza Aérea Hondureña Tigers. Wondering If we have or can get a short nose version.

Only one nose for the F-5E.

I think that the SF2 F-5 Tiger model is more a F-5A than a F-5E.

Not true. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6380100/anchors_6394056/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6394056

Early F-5E (Swiss Air Force) http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/274507/j-3044-switzerland-air-force-northrop-f-5e-tiger-ii/

Late F-5E "shark nose" (Also Swiss) http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/272092/j-3087-switzerland-air-force-patrouille-de-suisse-northrop-f-5e-tiger-ii/

The ones Stratos posted are all "Sharknoses"

• Like 1

Thank you Fubar!

I was sure, that I was right! ;-)

Looks like "sharknoses" are indeed shorter right?

Edited by Stratos

Here is the original F-5E:

Northrop_F-5E_(Tail_No._11419)_(cropped).jpg

And another:

Northrop_F-5E_(Tail_No._11417)_061006-F-1234S-067.jpg

And here is a 'sharknose':

RSAF_F-5E-Tiger-II.804.jpg

And another 'sharknose':

1628667.jpg

And one more 'sharknose':

military_23.jpg

If the 'sharknose' is any different in length by anything other than a few inches, I would be surprised. The contour of the nose is changed all around, giving the illusion of being significantly different in length other than straight from the side. In addition, you'll note the painted part of the nose is different...again, giving the illusion the nose is different in length.

FC

• Like 1

I figured we were talking about the size of the intakes

Is possible to shorten or erase the guns on the nose of the "sharknose" F5?

img00003-8_zps426a1e29.jpg[/url]

shorten = only in MAX, by editing the polys of the mexh

remove -= simple data ini edit using 'remove component trick'

honestly, that's such piddly bulls**t, I wouldn't even worry about it

Cockpit should be more flat and the shape of the air intakes is not great. Maybe a matter of taste but i.m.h.o. an otherwise great model can give a bad overall impression when the shape of the cockpit is wrong. ....

Cockpit should be more flat and the shape of the air intakes is not great. Maybe a matter of taste but i.m.h.o. an otherwise great model can give a bad overall impression when the shape of the cockpit is wrong. ....

The original builder of the MAX file is dead.

The files were lost when the server he was hosting on shut down.

The alternative is a total rebuild. There is a MAX file available of a F-5E that is very good, but it requires modification to be brought into game.

Along with the billion other projects people want.

FC

Isn't there a way to bring the lod back to a max file. I know the inskye guys did it with Marcfighters Su-27.

If the model comes into good hands, maybe the old MF or now the mod mafia team, would this be a legal reason?!

I dont want to throw some wood into the fire, just asking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rivet counter, not at all. Simply will love to see a better looking F-5. Will need to learn about this

"remove -= simple data ini edit using 'remove component trick'"

Since the days, when i tried to make a new plane with GMAX i have a F-5E.3ds file on my harddrive. I dont know, from where i got it.

I never tried to convert it from GMAX to 3dsmax, because the plane building is not my cup of tea. But perhaps an other modder could use it as basic for a new sharknose Tiger.

post-3395-0-36438500-1368115881_thumb.jpg

f5e_05.zip

That model looks like the F-5E available in all kind of formats in the net. So you can get it direct as 3ds Max file, making it more easy to start with.

But the model isn´t game ready at all. Indeed you need to split it into logical pieces, re-map it and animate it.

Wasn't there some greek guy working on a new one?