scram77

Have I arrived too late?

Hi all,

I ordered OFF a few days ago and am currently just killing time before the disk arrives by looking up as much info about OFF as possible. However I am becoming more concerned that I may be about to arrive at this party too late, and all the other party goers will have already made their excuses and left for the night.

Is this the case, or are there still plenty of people playing this game?

Thanks in advance.

Scram

Welcome over Flanders Fields, scram!

Since you added your location under your name, I feel free to add you to our "OFF Forum Pilots Maps",

which you can find above, in the "Sticky Threads".

Not sure, how many people are currently flying the sim, but I am pretty sure that the whole community

is waiting for the follow-up sim "Wings Over Flanders Fields".

But to build that with a rather small team, and test it and solve all possible and impossible problems

may still take a while, so I think you have made a good decision by getting OFF and getting into it.

I'd even suggest you also get the "Hat in the Ring!" add-on because with that the AI was again improved

and the sim was kind of upgraded even more.

Also, I recommend to closely read and follow all install tips as shown in the FAQs on their website - see here:

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

That will save you time and eventual problems.

I wish you at least half as much pleasure and thrills as the sim gave me, and you should be fine!

Have fun!

Welcome scram!

Even if you never got "Hat In The Ring"; even if you never added any of the excellent free enhancements; even if WOFF is never released; even if you were the last person in the world left playing OFF, you would not be disappointed. OFF is an excellent way to lose yourself in the past. It really is a great flight sim and I doubt any of us have discovered all of it's various treasures.

Luckily there is a healthy community of OFF'ers out there, lots of excellent addons, and a bright future ahead. Enjoy the peace and quiet while you wait for your disk. You'll be getting your virtual butt shot out of the air soon enough.

Welcome to the OFF virtual skies Scram. While I have not frequented these halls much as of late I still dearly love this sim and I can assure you that you are not too late to the party. I envy you all the thrills and terrors and triumphs and heartbreaks you have ahead of you. You are going to love it - just love it. BTW, new lads buy the drinks.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Welcome Scram!

I discovered the unfriendly skies Over Flanders Fields just over two years ago and I've never regretted a moment. No sim has ever immersed me this deep, and no sim has left me with rings of sweat under my armpits and the feeling that I survived something that I probably shouldn't have.

There is no better value for the money and sometimes I feel I've only just scratched the surface of this amazing sim. In the past week alone I've flown no less than 6 different craft with my 12 pilots in the rain, snow, fog, at night, in puffy white clouds, clear blue skies and the haze of the early morning. The atmosphere is amazing and you will find yourself thinking about you 'next time up' when you are doing other things.

This is a great community with tons of support and I urge you to 'jump right in' and test the skies for yourself. But before you do I'll have a virtual brew as new guy's buy the rounds.

Welcome and good luck!

Shiloh

Thanks so much for your kind words of welcome. After just reading this forum over the last week or so it comes across how everyone is so friendly and genuine, providing help and assistance to anyone in need, and I have no doubt that I'll be needing some of that help in the coming weeks!!

I looked at getting rise of flight when I started looking into a WW1 flight simulator as I've been playing most of my games on consoles last last few years and was so out of touch with what the market had to offer. After more investigation I realised what I really wanted was a proper simulation which immerses you completely into it, and everything I read pointed to OFF as the place to go to. After a brief consideration and an ebay trip to buy a copy of CFS 3, I finally took the plunge and ordered the game last week.

Now I'm just killing time waiting for it to come, and I have to say, after reading this site solidly for the last few days, I haven't looked forward to a game arriving since I was a kid (a long time ago)! Does anyone have any idea how long it takes (roughly) for the game to be delivered to the UK?

Oldham - thanks for adding me to the map and the tips.

Thanks

As for CFS3 - make sure you update it as per advice on the OBD website, before you install.

Reading their install advices is a must to save time and worries later.

Good luck!

Hi Scram , as everyone says , you won't be dissapointed with OFF. I seem to remember that my copy came through in about 2 weeks (to U.K) , but that seems to be the answer that's always given when people say "how long?" , as in "How long to the next update" etc. so don't take that as gospel.

Best of luck !

Hi Scram , as everyone says , you won't be dissapointed with OFF. I seem to remember that my copy came through in about 2 weeks (to U.K) , but that seems to be the answer that's always given when people say "how long?" , as in "How long to the next update" etc. so don't take that as gospel.

Best of luck !

Thanks Deadhead - at least I have a frame of reference now.

Oh and looks like the drinks on me then - send in your orders then lads.

Hey Scram, I'm late to the party too, but I haven't had this much fun since my/our first PC and Red Baron 3D way back in 1999.

Ah, the drinks! Okay, I'd like to try something new: I'll have a Flanders Red Ale.

Welcome to the party, Scram. You won't regret it - a bunch of more friendly and helpful chaps you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere else. Mine's a pint of Spitfire thanks :drinks:

Yikes, forgot to put in my order when I said that the new lad buys. I'll have a nice hot coffee with cream, and a shot of Tullamore Dew on the side if you please.

Thanks again for all the messages. I'm compiling this bar list, and will head over to the mess to fullfill the orders in good time. I've still not decided what I want myself yet, so might see what looks good from the list I have here.

Was looking at when I ordered the game and it seems a week has already passed quicker than I thought it would, which would obviously mean that I only have 1 more week before I make it to the infamous "2 week" deadline that everyone seems to talk about on here Then hopefully I'll be up in the air and getting hug holes shot out of my crate before you can say "antidisestablishmentarianism"

Scram

Scram,

I'm sure the minutes are slowly grinding forward right now at a snail's pace so here is some reading you can do to familiarize yourself with some of the craft. The Sopwith Pup is always a good starter craft on the entente side.

Shiloh

http://combatace.com...-pilot-primers/

Thanks Shiloh, I'll take a gander at those.

Hi all, just a quick update for you. I arrived back from work last night to find my copy of the game had been delivered! 8 days from ordering to arriving! That's pretty damn impressive.

Anyway I installed it, updated it and followed all the advice on how to set up the graphics etc and am now a very happy bunny indeed. Now all I have to do is learn to fly these things and my joy will be complete.

Would you suggest buying the hat in the ring expansion for the game? What else does it bring to the table other than new planes and better ai (although that is already enough to warranty getting it)?

Thanks

Scram

I agree completely with Hellshade. HITR will give you the full OFF experience Scram, and it is phenomenal.

The mods here at CA are a great addition to OFF as well, scram. Digging in can be a little intimidating, but the OFFice incomparable campaign engine is a good place to start, as it integrates the best of the community's mods in one easy-to-install-and-use package. Makes what's special about OFF even better, if I do say so myself.

Scram, you lucky man - only 8 days?!?!?

As for "HitR": the improved AI alone is worth getting it, and then you also get several new planes -

all that for a low price if you consider, that you must buy each new plane seperately in 'another sim'.

I guess in English you'd call it a "must-have bargain".

And since it comes per download, you can add it quickly - no need to wait another 8 days.

Edited by Olham

Thank you all for your help once again. I've now purchased, downloaded and installed HITR and also downloaded and installed OFFice, although not managed to get it to work yet. I'll have another go this evening before I come back here apologising for my incompetence in getting it to work!!

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out which campaign to begin, and actually which side to go with...there are so many options in this game and I'm loving it!

OFFice should "just work" so if there's a problem, please take a screenshot of any errors in the "REBOL 3 Alpha" console and send it my way. Everyone's machine is... unique, but I'm usually quick to fix things that crop up.

As for where to start, I'd personally suggest the French fighter squadron "Esc LaF" in the fall of 1916, when it's at Luxeuil field in Alsace. Great scenery, and not too difficult to start. Great time and place to learn to fly. Plus with OFFice your l'Escadrille Americaine will receive American pilots while having a French ground crew, which is just kinda fun.

OFFice should "just work" so if there's a problem, please take a screenshot of any errors in the "REBOL 3 Alpha" console and send it my way. Everyone's machine is... unique, but I'm usually quick to fix things that crop up.

As for where to start, I'd personally suggest the French fighter squadron "Esc LaF" in the fall of 1916, when it's at Luxeuil field in Alsace. Great scenery, and not too difficult to start. Great time and place to learn to fly. Plus with OFFice your l'Escadrille Americaine will receive American pilots while having a French ground crew, which is just kinda fun.

Thanks for the advice. At the moment I can't get it to work as when I've gone to play squadron after already setting up a pilot etc, then play pilot it come up with a box saying loading etc, however another box come up with load of writing and near the end it says

"script error: cannot access CustomSkinsOff in path offsettings/XustomSkinsOff"

Also now when I try and play the game normally it get through to loading screen after going through the briefing and just hangs there and doesn't get any further.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks for the detailed info on the error. Ah, you don't have HitR installed, correct? The CustomSkins feature was added with that expansion. Thought OFFice was backwards compatible without HitR but perhaps not entirely. I'll PM you a file that may fix it.

To get back to running OFF normally, run JSGME and deactivate any OFFbase mod folders and any others you don't want with your campaign.