scram77

Have I arrived too late?

Thanks for the detailed info on the error. Ah, you don't have HitR installed, correct? The CustomSkins feature was added with that expansion. Thought OFFice was backwards compatible without HitR but perhaps not entirely. I'll PM you a file that may fix it.

To get back to running OFF normally, run JSGME and deactivate any OFFbase mod folders and any others you don't want with your campaign.

Thanks for the help Lothar. I ha HITR installed however I decided to uninstall it all an try again. I am happy to say it seems to be working now so may thanks for your help!

Thanks for the help Lothar. I ha HITR installed however I decided to uninstall it all an try again. I am happy to say it seems to be working now so may thanks for your help!

Ah yes, sometimes if patches aren't all applied correctly it causes problems. Glad you're up and running (or is that flying?)!

Hi there Scram77,

Welcome, and a tidbit for you....education. If you go to the Over Flanders Fields main topic then try landing here, OFF - Survival In the Air Series. It has pilot primers on actually flying the wonderful aircraft in OFF, and some ways to set up your Workshop to derive the most pleasure from your quick and repeated death in the skies.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Britisheh

Just a quick update:

I had to reinstall instal everything again, but I now have OFF and HitR up and running and I'm loving every bit of it. I need plenty more practice in this game though as so far the longest I've been able to keep one of my pilots alive was about 4 hrs flying an Albatros III with Jasta 11 with 2 unconfirmed kills, until a scramble mission led me to fly through an EA rather than around him. It was slightly upsetting to say the least.

Previous to that my Pilot with Esc LaF had lasted for almost 3 hrs again with 2 unconfirmed copped it when I decided to chase after an EIII that was near my base after returning from a quiet patrol. I misjudged my speed coming at him from above, clipped his wings and I went spinning to my death.

Do you see a patern emerging?!

Anyway, hoping with more practice I'll be able to hit the EA with my bullets rather than myself which should give my pilots a better chance of surviving that little bit longer.

Scram

It's nice to see some new People enjoying OFF, even if it's a few Years old...

Scram, if you'll have enough Practice in this beloved Game, you should try my Sound-Mod. I'm the Creator of it.

Please let me show you shortly what's awaiting you:

-New Engine Sounds for EVERY flyable Plane

-New Engine Sounds for all AI-Planes (up to 6 different Patterns for every Plane)

-New Machine Gun Sounds

-New Frontambience (If you are flying low over the Lines, you can now hear Machineguns, Grenades, Infantry-Rifles and so on)

-New Explosions in the Air and on the Ground

-New FLAK Explosions

-New Screams when a Pilot is hit

-New Sounds for Trucks, Tanks, and Airfield Ambience

-Fixed Distances for Eplosions, Flak and Engines

-Complete new Rate of Fire-Mod from 1915-1918 for EVERY Machinegun with new synchronized Sounds

If you are playing with this Stuff, OFF will feel like a complete "new" Game :blum: Of course there are many other very good Mods out there, Lothar's OFFice Mod includes most of them, even my Sound Mod ( which is actually in Version 3.2.1)

You can watch and hear my Work here, if you like:

Collisions will be the last bad kill factor in furballs, when you do everything else right.

Flying with Jasta 11 is a good choice for learning some best behaviour in combat.

You'd just have to stay high and out of the thickest, and the aces would save your bacon quite well.

But you could also start a bit earlier and in an area where it's quieter (below St. Quentin), with an Albatros D.II.

Besides collisions, the worst kill factor is our own eagerness to achieve victories.

It makes us enter and stay in very dangerous situations.

We usually collect kills quite fast - and then we also die fast.

To avoid deadly patterns, the best would be to fly with eyes on your own safety first - as if you could really

be killed, or terribly wounded. You would still collect victories, only slower. But with 3 years ahead of you,

you would still get far - if you survived.

There are some very good points here Olham and no doubt a safer approach will lead to the chance for a longer career. I do want to look at this in a different way. I tend towards aggressive when I fight because I like the action and want to take the fight to the enemy. With this approach I've had some pilots who have survived well over 40 hours and I lost interest in them before they were ever killed.

With that said scram and in not knowing you personally, perhaps this is your style as well? I think every pilot develops their own style of flying/fighting/surviving that is unique and is in line with personalities, goals, and levels of aggressiveness/passiveness. If you are an aggressive flyer there are things you can do to increase your chances of longevity. The first thing I would recommend is to program your throttle into your stick and always have your free hand on it when in combat. This way you can make subtle changes in speed as you go and learn to better judge your speed in relation to that of your enemy. It's not unlike driving a car and knowing when to ease off the pedal when approaching a slower vehicle and having the ability to judge your speed, the speed of the vehicles around you and the angles at which you might meet.

When diving or coming directly behind an opponent, I will put rounds into them until the very last second and will usually pull up the stick hard at the last moment to avoid contact. They are more likely to dip down then jerk up when hit but they do go up sometimes so give yourself enough space. If you are engaged with just one craft then considering pulling off your attack earlier and doing a quick bank turn around to get on his tail again quickly. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times as the craft will generally lose the ability to maneuver - if you put enough lead into them - and they're basically a sitting duck that you can pick apart until they go down.

And as Olham mentioned over-aggressiveness can send you 'west' real quick so I think every pilot must find a balance between aggressiveness and longevity. I have a lot of confidence in my flying ability and that's come with many, many hours logged flight time. You can survive with an aggressive approach but you must be skilled and that comes with experience.

At any rate I'm glad you're having fun and mixing it up a bit with the enemy. You'll progress nicely if you keep at it and patience is key here. Here is a link to some of my videos and Hellshade has quite a nice collection as well. He is a top-notch pilot and you can learn a lot by watching him.

http://www.youtube.com/twbattles

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hellshade68

It's nice to see some new People enjoying OFF, even if it's a few Years old...

Scram, if you'll have enough Practice in this beloved Game, you should try my Sound-Mod. I'm the Creator of it.

Please let me show you shortly what's awaiting you:

-New Engine Sounds for EVERY flyable Plane

-New Engine Sounds for all AI-Planes (up to 6 different Patterns for every Plane)

-New Machine Gun Sounds

-New Frontambience (If you are flying low over the Lines, you can now hear Machineguns, Grenades, Infantry-Rifles and so on)

-New Explosions in the Air and on the Ground

-New FLAK Explosions

-New Screams when a Pilot is hit

-New Sounds for Trucks, Tanks, and Airfield Ambience

-Fixed Distances for Eplosions, Flak and Engines

-Complete new Rate of Fire-Mod from 1915-1918 for EVERY Machinegun with new synchronized Sounds

Thanks Andy, was just starting to look around for mods etc to use for a better experience, however I wanted to appreciate it as it is in vanilla mode before tinkering so that I will get a great sense of what has changed.

I've already downloaded Lothar's mod and he was a great help to me when I couldn't get it to run at first. Unfortunately I had quite a few CTD's and I wasn't sure what was causing it so I uninstalled and reinstalled just the game. I'll try it again at a later stage.

Collisions will be the last bad kill factor in furballs, when you do everything else right.

Flying with Jasta 11 is a good choice for learning some best behaviour in combat.

You'd just have to stay high and out of the thickest, and the aces would save your bacon quite well.

But you could also start a bit earlier and in an area where it's quieter (below St. Quentin), with an Albatros D.II.

Besides collisions, the worst kill factor is our own eagerness to achieve victories.

It makes us enter and stay in very dangerous situations.

We usually collect kills quite fast - and then we also die fast.

To avoid deadly patterns, the best would be to fly with eyes on your own safety first - as if you could really

be killed, or terribly wounded. You would still collect victories, only slower. But with 3 years ahead of you,

you would still get far - if you survived.

I think I just wanted to start a campaign with the Red Baron to see his plane taking off and being able to fly alongside him, but I agree that I should probably have started earlier in the war to get some more practice in. Thanks for the advice Oldham.

There are some very good points here Olham and no doubt a safer approach will lead to the chance for a longer career. I do want to look at this in a different way. I tend towards aggressive when I fight because I like the action and want to take the fight to the enemy. With this approach I've had some pilots who have survived well over 40 hours and I lost interest in them before they were ever killed.

With that said scram and in not knowing you personally, perhaps this is your style as well? I think every pilot develops their own style of flying/fighting/surviving that is unique and is in line with personalities, goals, and levels of aggressiveness/passiveness. If you are an aggressive flyer there are things you can do to increase your chances of longevity. The first thing I would recommend is to program your throttle into your stick and always have your free hand on it when in combat. This way you can make subtle changes in speed as you go and learn to better judge your speed in relation to that of your enemy. It's not unlike driving a car and knowing when to ease off the pedal when approaching a slower vehicle and having the ability to judge your speed, the speed of the vehicles around you and the angles at which you might meet.

When diving or coming directly behind an opponent, I will put rounds into them until the very last second and will usually pull up the stick hard at the last moment to avoid contact. They are more likely to dip down then jerk up when hit but they do go up sometimes so give yourself enough space. If you are engaged with just one craft then considering pulling off your attack earlier and doing a quick bank turn around to get on his tail again quickly. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times as the craft will generally lose the ability to maneuver - if you put enough lead into them - and they're basically a sitting duck that you can pick apart until they go down.

And as Olham mentioned over-aggressiveness can send you 'west' real quick so I think every pilot must find a balance between aggressiveness and longevity. I have a lot of confidence in my flying ability and that's come with many, many hours logged flight time. You can survive with an aggressive approach but you must be skilled and that comes with experience.

At any rate I'm glad you're having fun and mixing it up a bit with the enemy. You'll progress nicely if you keep at it and patience is key here. Here is a link to some of my videos and Hellshade has quite a nice collection as well. He is a top-notch pilot and you can learn a lot by watching him.

http://www.youtube.com/twbattles

http://www.youtube.c...ser/Hellshade68

Thanks Shiloh, that's great advice also. I think I just need to practice, practice, practice to get used to how EA react, their speed and the various quirks of the planes.

And the idea of playing this game more and more is one that puts a big smile on my face!!!

I've already downloaded Lothar's mod and he was a great help to me when I couldn't get it to run at first. Unfortunately I had quite a few CTD's and I wasn't sure what was causing it so I uninstalled and reinstalled just the game. I'll try it again at a later stage.

Yep, OFFice includes pretty much all of the historically-consistent OFF mods, many reworked to work together and with additional advanced features over the old stand-alone versions available for separate download. Pretty much everything's configurable too (choose the FM, DM, etc.)

CTDs are usually caused by graphics settings. A good practice is to set everything in CFS3Config to 1, minimum (except aircraft detail, set that to 5) and then incrementally increase settings with each flight until it starts crashing, then go back a bit. And I believe there's some detailed graphics settings advice on specific CFS3Config options by Olham at the OFF website, things like Dual Pass Render and texture memory management that could be causing you problems.

Welcome to the party. If you know anyone else who might be interested in WWI flight sims, I made a little "user created comercial" that shows people just a smattering of what Over Flanders Fields has to offer.

The Over Flanders Fields Experience (5:07) 1080HD

Excellent piece of advertising Hellshade!!

Maybe the WOFF team should enlist you for the release vid of WOFF!!

Best Regards;

Excellent piece of advertising Hellshade!!

Maybe the WOFF team should enlist you for the release vid of WOFF!!

Will work for :beta: Copy. Edited by Hellshade