Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Computer Hardware and OFF/WOFF (split from screenshots thread)

Bullethead invested in a new computer for this. I've recently done the same. His is now outdated (a year-and-a-half is an eternity in computer advancements). I have to wonder if mine will be by the time WOFF is released (or whatever it's called by then). How many others will spend money on new or upgraded rigs primarily, if not specifically, for WOFF only to have them become obsolete while waiting.
But my rig has given me great times in Skyrim, X-COM, Dishonored, and quite a few other games that have come out since I got it, so I don't consider it wasted money. And surely I'd have bought a new rig then anyway. It's just that WOFF was the main thing I was hoping to play on it. So, if I have to buy another rig before WOFF comes out, I'm sure it'll find other uses as well.

I upgraded my rig for OFF back in 2011. It's currently serving with distinction on the distant battlefields of Planetside 2.

This month I'll almost certainly purchase one of the new Nvidia cards to replace my 560 Ti. Either a 770 or 780 should do MORE than fine with WOFF.

Game and enjoy life chaps. One of these days WOFF is going to come out, then we won't have time to play anything else.

I am actually doing an upgrade of my current flying box this weekend, assuming the new mobo, CPU, RAM, and second video card are all here by then. Got a super deal on another GTX 460 SC and am going to go with an SLI set-up. After the changes my system will look like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67

Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA

Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite

Video Cards: 2 EVGA GTX 460 SC 1024mb cards in SLI configuration

PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt

Windows XP Pro 64-bit OS

LG 22" flat screen LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080 native resolution

Three large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, and card fans

Saitek AV8R joystick

Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals

Track IR4 with IR5 software

Should be a monster, and capable of pushing WOFF to the limits. :smile:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Whooaaa Lou! Does that come with a seatbelt and some diapers?

Shiloh, the correct term is 'flight extenders', not diapers. :grin:

Some call them 'flight extenders', and some call them 'diapers' - it just DEPENDS. :haha:

Had to look that up - "diapers" - Mmuahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

My current system has a Windows Check Performance Value of 7,5 - which should be quite good overall (I think the max value is 7,9).

I guess that should be quite sufficient for WOFF.

I envy you... :diablo:

I checked mine and the reading says 5.5... :not_i:

I desperately need upgrade.

Edited by elephant

Mine is currently at 5.5 although I did just notice that my system is only recognizing 2GB of my total 4GB of RAM. I'll have to look into that. I think it's normally at 5.9. My rig handles OFF fine unless there's 20+ craft in a crazy dogfight then my frame rates start to get a little choppy.

Guys, I wish you the money coming in for building a new rig.

I really saved for it, but now it is done.

Shiloh, what OS are you running? I only ask because I recently built this comuter, started as an upgrade, and found out that Windows 7 Home premium only utilizes 16 GB ram. This weekend I installed Windows 7 pro which uses all 32GB.

Mine rating is 7.4, the graphics holding me back. CPU and ram score 7.8. Hard drive scores 7.9, love that ssd!

I do need to update my graphics drivers.... Just takes sssoooo long on dialup, I'll have a friend grab me a few to try out

Olham, what are the specs of your rig?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. I believe you're right in only getting 16GB potential on Hone Premium. As far as I know OFF relies on CPU power more than anything else which is why I upgraded my CPU to an AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHZ.

Processor 7.3

RAM: 5.5 (probably due to only 2GB ram being seen and not the 4GB I have in there)

Graphics: 7.7

Gaming Graphics: 7.7

Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Well, I think 32 GB of memory is total overkill - I am running with 4 GB.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 3.30 GHz

Graphic card: GIGABYTE AMD RADEON HD7870 (2 GB GDDR5) overclocked to 1100 MHz

Bootdrive & programs: SAMSUNG SOLID STATE DRIVE (SSD) 830 Series (128 GB - SATA 6GB/s)

Processor: 7.6

RAM 7.8

Graphics 7.9

Gaming Gfx 7.9

Hard disk 5.9

I made my 7200 RPM drive my boot drive so it kills the score, but most gaming is done off either my 10k Raptor or my SSD drive. My guess though is that most people who have refreshed their CPU and GPU within the last 2 years will be running WOFF without any troubles at all. I'm not a Dev but I have seen a bunch of the screen shots. Most of them say 60 FPS on them even before the Devs bought Geforce 680s.

Yeah, 32 is overkill, I had a rebate coupon given to me and went nuts with 4 sticks of 8Gb of Muskin. How do you like the AMD video card and drivers? I'm considering an AMD card in the future.

Shiloh, what happened that it went from seeing 4gb to seeing 2gb of the 4gb? I'm wondering if it is allocating to your gpu or "sharing" it. What kind of ram are you running? I ask because I've a few old sticks of ddr2 doing nothing now, same windows 7 home premium 64 bit disk and key.

Hellshade, love your tripe skin with the flames!

I had an issue where my computer wasn't booting at all. After troubleshooting I reseated the ram and then it worked again. I didn't realize until today that it's only reading one of them. I'm assuming the ram is bad but its possible I just need to reseat it.

So you're not going to use those sticks? I'll have to figure out what type of ram I have. Any ideas on how to do that?

Edited by Shiloh

Well, you can look at the fine print somewhere on it, or go to a website that sells ram and runs a scan program to identify what kind of ram you and try to sell you ram. I think Crucial does that, probably most do.

There is probably a way to do so via windows, but I can't recall how.

Mine are 2GB sticks Corsair Dominator, 1066MHZ , 5 5 5 15

Hellshade, love your tripe skin with the flames!

RAF Louvert custom painted it for me, since I love the Triplane so much! He does outstanding work, does he not?

Yeah! That plane can turn and burn and the skin fits perfect!

Here she is in action right after Louvert delivered her to me. Be sure to watch it in 720 or 1080HD for best picture quality to see his fine work.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I tested my second ram stick and it's bad ram all right. Every time I reseated the stick my computer wouldn't boot properly. I even tried a different slot. The only reason it was working to this point is I hadn't reseated the ram properly so my computer wasn't seeing it at all. Here's my specs and I'm assuming that ram you have might work for me but I'm not sure.

- MSI M/B K9A2CF-F AMD 790X

- AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad-Core 3.0 GHz

- 4GB RAM (limping on 2GB right now)

- Seagate Barracuda 250GB Sata HD (7200 rpm)

- Samsung Spinpoint TB HD (7200 RPM)

- DVDRW/CDRW drive

- Corsair 650TX 650W ATX12V

- GIGABYTE Radeon 6850 HD video card

- Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

- Acer 23" monitor (max res 1920 x 1080)

Also, my ram is Fatal1ty 2GB stick and here's a photo of the tag. If you don't know Mud maybe someone can chime in on whether the ram you have will work for me. My other question would be can I mix ram or is that not a good idea?

img1246k.jpg

Processor: 7.6

RAM 7.8

Graphics 7.9

Gaming Gfx 7.9

Hard disk 5.9

I made my 7200 RPM drive my boot drive so it kills the score, but most gaming is done off either my 10k Raptor or my SSD drive. My guess though is that most people who have refreshed their CPU and GPU within the last 2 years will be running WOFF without any troubles at all. I'm not a Dev but I have seen a bunch of the screen shots. Most of them say 60 FPS on them even before the Devs bought Geforce 680s.

I am running almost identical numbers. So what is the way to raise the 5.9 Hard Disk rating, just a different drive totally or a separate drive for the sim? Currently have a Hitachi 7200 2TB.

Yeah you can mix brands of ram, doubt about Mhz..

Hey, googled your mobo and saw a newegg add for it which says.....

Buy MSI K9A2 CF-F ATX AMD Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated ... Memory. Number of Memory Slots: 4×240pin. Memory Standard: DDR2 1066 ...

It will work Shiloh, this ram has high cooling fins. It sits higher, but that won't matter unless you sre using an after market cpu cooler that overhangs the ram

Aroth, check out if your hdd is sata 3 or sata 6. It is probably sata 3

Yeah you can mix brands of ram, doubt about Mhz..

Hey, googled your mobo and saw a newegg add for it which says.....

Buy MSI K9A2 CF-F ATX AMD Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated ... Memory. Number of Memory Slots: 4×240pin. Memory Standard: DDR2 1066 ...

It will work Shiloh, this ram has high cooling fins. It sits higher, but that won't matter unless you sre using an after market cpu cooler that overhangs the ram

Aroth, check out if your hdd is sata 3 or sata 6. It is probably sata 3

I have at least 1.5" above and below. I'm glad it will work. Ram is pretty inexpensive but if your willing to part with it that can save me some dough and I'd appreciate that. If you want a few bucks for it let me know and we can work something out.