I have now been trying to install Armchair Aces Redux by Ojcar and I have been at it for some two weeks and have run into many problems.

I think I have all the planes. and installed.

now working on the medals packs, my problem is the finding the Nations ini in the Flight folder and then opening it.

I have downloaded the CatPack utility installed it then double clicked it but get error stating "This file is invalid for use as the following security catalog"

So any help would be very gratful before I give up on what looks like a great addon.

Thanks Ojcar for what looks like one great addon. hope I get it all together before I loose all my hair.

Forgot to add my spec -

Windows 7 64 bit

FE2 works with no problems

Edited by don246

Yes that is the one I tried to use, I have the Nations ini now it came in one of the medals downloads file in the flight folder.

But I would like to know how to use the CatPack extracter I had no good trying to use it, I see the listing in the usful help part of the forum but when I followed it by unzipping that gave me a CatPack application double clicked that and followed instructions that gave me a CatPack Security Catalog, double clicking that gave me the error as stated above.

It seems was not using it correctly.

Thanks for reply Panama red.

Catpack sorted I know how to use it now.

Next question I have no pilot in the Halberstadt plane, how do I put a pilot in it ?

I have the Armchair Aces Redux by Ojcar up and running with a few problems the first problem I have seen is above no pilot.

Other problems I will post in good time I don't want to be a pain in the back side.

Thanks for any help.

Edit Missing pilot sorted it's all in the planes DATA ini under crew.

Edited by don246

When you open the Halberstadt plane's data.ini file (and since there are several different Halberstadts, I am assuming you mean the Halberstadt D.III), "Halb3_data.ini" file, what does this section say:

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=WWIGERPILOT

PilotHeadNodeName=head

Position=0.0000,-0.66,0.8

MinExtentPosition=-0.3,-0.4,-0.1

MaxExtentPosition= 0.3,-0.9,0.95

What you are looing for is the "PilotModeName" section. If it does not say "PilotModelName=wwiPilotNew2", then you need to have the pilot in your game that the file is calling for. My Halberstadt D.III uses the "WWIGERPILOT", so this pilot must be installed in the Pilot folder for the game to use it.

If you are going to start modding your FE2 game, then you need to read the SF1 and SF2 Knowledge Bases and they will tell you what you need to do to add various items to the game correctly since FE1 and FE2 are almost the same thing as SF1/SF2 except for the way the game engine handles slow flying planes.

Edited by Panama Red

Thanks for the reply Panama red, I have it sorted now.

Can you tell me can I have more than one pilot in the Pilots folder and just change the name of the pilot in the planes Data ini / PilotModelName= to the name of the pilot in the pilots folder ?

I have tried it but the pilot did not show when I changed it back to the original pilot it showed.

You have to have each new pilot set up individually with their own folders inside the main Pilot folder (except for the FE/FE2 default pilots) for the FE2 game to "see" these new pilots. If you do not have these new pilot folders set up, the plane_data.ini file will not see them and you will have a empty pilot seat.

Like I said, you need to read the SF1/SF2 Knownledge Bases: http://combatace.com...2-by-migbuster/

Edited by Panama Red

Welcome to flying WW1 Armchair Aces style, Don! Pamama's right. My particular bugbear was getting roundels and plane numbers to show in some aircraft made for FE(1) like the excellent Skunkworks FE8. IIRC I had to create the plane's entry in the (mods) Decals subfolder AND edit a path or two in an .ini file.

Once you have everything working - and it's well worth the effort - I would strongly recommend burning to DVD a backup copy of your complete 'mods' folder, zipping it first if necessary. This can be a life-saver if you have to reinstall Windows or something gets messed up. Even if you have backed up all the planes and other mods individually, the saving in re-installation work can be a Godsend.

Thanks guys for the help, and yes already backed up my FE2 install to another drive.

Still one great WW1 sim shame TK pulled the plug on it still with all the kind guys making all these addons who wants TK.

My thanks to all that have made this sim a true classic.