Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Main role of the F-15E?

I always wondered which is the main role of the F-15E Strike Eagle, as the name I think is "to strike" the enemy buildings, but I have also seen the "E" heavily loaded with cluster bombs so is CAS a intended role too? Is not a too expensive plane to do that?

It was designed originally to replace the F-111. As to what role it is a ground strike aircraft which means attacking anything on the ground. If Gulf War 1 it was one of the first assets in place and it was granted that it would be used to hit Saddam's columns if they invaded Saudi Arabia. It would though be primarily used for attacking buildings airfields etc before it switches to hitting tanks etc.

depends on the conflict. Jan 1991, start of OEF and OIF they were mainly interdiction going deep and striking critical targets. but that same fuel load that allows them to go deep into enemy territory has allowed them over the last decade to take off from airfields we now own (Bagram, BIAP?) and loiter for a very long time waiting to support troops in contact.

I think of it as the phantom during the late 70s. Long range, good for A-G, still good for A-A...

The F-15E is exactly the replacement for the F-4E: 2-seat, hi-tech multirole.

Crews transferred during Desert Shield and Storm also just emerged from their F-4 reconversion, while not having all their weapon systems fully operational.

Main roll of the F-15E ,Destory targets (blow up stuff) :) LOL

Edited by RAVEN

The F-15E Strike Eagle also refered to as "THE MUD HEN" is a fully capable in both air to ground and air to air. She can dog fight her way in drop her mud moving gear and dog fight her way out, she's got all the war computers needed to complete her missions.

Primary: Interdiction, Strike ground target, Deep Strike

Secondary: Battlefield Air Interdiction, Close Air Support, Combat Air Patrol

the primary CAS plane, in a big conventional war fought with the USAF, is the fast jet!

a sidenote!

generally, cluster bombs in't a loadout for CAS mission, where they must drop the bombs nearby friendly troops and the relative big pattern of dispertion of the bomblets let a risk of friendly fire

When you guys talk about Strike and Deep Strike, what is the main difference?

Air to ground.Anything in this category (also anti-ship on korean birds).I'm not sure about its SEAD capabilities though.

"Deep" = far behind front lines, way back in enemy territory. Also, I think saying the Beagle could "dogfight" its way in on a mission is overstating it. It can fire missiles, yes, but with a full fuel and bombload it's a truck that can't out maneuver a KC-135 let alone an enemy fighter.

It was designed for interdiction, hitting targets that aren't near friendlies but are important, like rear HQs, staging areas, logistics targets, etc. It's since been used for CAS and pretty much anything on the ground aside perhaps from SEAD as I've never seen HARMs on one. I don't know if it can carry Harpoons either, I don't recall seeing any pics of that, plus I last flew it really in Jane's sim 15 years ago.

Thanks JediMaster!! Your post is very useful, that clarified a lot of things for me. BTW IIRC SEAD is a Viper role in the USAF.

It was at the time of the Balkan Wars. Nowadays, i guess most times it would be drones with Growler support or something like that

The RoK's F-15Ks are wired for the Harpoon.

I always wondered which is the main role of the F-15E Strike Eagle, as the name I think is "to strike" the enemy buildings, but I have also seen the "E" heavily loaded with cluster bombs so is CAS a intended role too? Is not a too expensive plane to do that?

Picture a long line of Soviet Transport, Armor, 2nd Echelon Troops and Vehicles, all bottlenecked at a bridge far behind the Main line of battle...and some F-15Es loaded with cluster munitions. Whoopsee!

"Deep" = far behind front lines, way back in enemy territory. Also, I think saying the Beagle could "dogfight" its way in on a mission is overstating it. It can fire missiles, yes, but with a full fuel and bombload it's a truck that can't out maneuver a KC-135 let alone an enemy fighter.

It was designed for interdiction, hitting targets that aren't near friendlies but are important, like rear HQs, staging areas, logistics targets, etc. It's since been used for CAS and pretty much anything on the ground aside perhaps from SEAD as I've never seen HARMs on one. I don't know if it can carry Harpoons either, I don't recall seeing any pics of that, plus I last flew it really in Jane's sim 15 years ago.

The Hens out of Royal Air Force Station Lakenheath carry Aim-9 "WISH" series air to air misssles and AMRAAM missles. She can shoot down planes She may not get around on the dance floor pretty, but if she's got to protect herself and sisters she can. With most ground weapon stores having a 4G to a 5.5G load, I believe she could turn if she had to, would the pilot want to, better question, would the crew chief and his crew want the pilot to, NO! They hate it when you bring back a bent bird, but if she had to she could! After all she's is an F-15 Eagle.The F-15E is what all fighter planes want to be when they grow up.

Edited by MAKO69

Well, the F-15E isn't just an F-15D with extra radar modes. The airframe was beefed up (read heavier) and the engines tuned for low level flight. It's happy in the weeds, but at high altitudes an F-15C will wipe it out with ease if it's a guns-only issue.

True the missiles and radar capabilities are largely the same, but the E can weigh tons and tons more ingressing to target and pulling g will leave it in a perilously low E state that those 229's just won't recover from quickly.

While the Charlie can still take the best of them out with ease, the Beagle is not what I want to be in facing MiGs and Su's if I can help it. I'd rather have a smaller plane with lower RCS like a Viper or Hornet, if not the Charlie or a Raptor. Missiles are missiles, but agility is agility and the Beagle is not as capable of avoiding an incoming missile as its brothers in arms.

Well, the F-15E isn't just an F-15D with extra radar modes. The airframe was beefed up (read heavier) and the engines tuned for low level flight. It's happy in the weeds, but at high altitudes an F-15C will wipe it out with ease if it's a guns-only issue.

True the missiles and radar capabilities are largely the same, but the E can weigh tons and tons more ingressing to target and pulling g will leave it in a perilously low E state that those 229's just won't recover from quickly.

While the Charlie can still take the best of them out with ease, the Beagle is not what I want to be in facing MiGs and Su's if I can help it. I'd rather have a smaller plane with lower RCS like a Viper or Hornet, if not the Charlie or a Raptor. Missiles are missiles, but agility is agility and the Beagle is not as capable of avoiding an incoming missile as its brothers in arms.

"She can shoot down planes, She may not get around on the dance floor pretty, but if she's got to protect herself and sisters she can." Of course she can't fight like the C, if she's got speed on her side she can whip the ponies a couple times to press for an advantage. Have you seen an F-15E fly? They are still a pretty nimble bird, not as flippy as a F-15A/C, but they can still make a couple good turns.