.... very specifically for the early RF-4C and RF-4B. been toying around with the B and realized it has slimers that stay on no matter what. can't find an entry in the data.ini to turn them off either. any suggestions?

Try the remove node method with the slimmer nodes?

[AircraftData]

Component[xxx]=remove1

Component[xxx]=remove2

[remove1]

ParentComponentName=Nose <<<<<<<< Use the .out file to get the node and parent component names.

ModelNodeName=sensors_02 <<<<<<<<

DestroyedNodeName=sensors_02 <<<<<<<<

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

Ok sounds doable. If i forward you the out file would you mind showing me how it should look in the data ini? I think i' ve got it but this is my first time messing round in there.

iirc, the lod uses a self illuminating tga (physically built in) you may have to do like dtmd said, and remove/hide those nodes

scratch my last. that is indeed the answer. still new enough to max that I didn't know you could make parts of the model glow in the dark (well self illuminating I think was the phrase)post-43212-0-75170400-1369869044_thumb.jpgpost-43212-0-43707400-1369868986_thumb.jpg just3 more nolite components to go. thanks guys!

one final update....... doesn't quite work on the wingtips. makes a big ugly invisible spot and its more noticeable still to try to skin over it. so my mid seventies PhotoPhantoms will just have to have wingtip slime lights. still a lot better than where I was this afternoon. and I learned how to read an out file so there is some more knowledge down.

knowing how to read the OUT is very important!! not only does it give the mesh names, but how the parent meshs attach and/or effect child meshes (and verse vicea)

have that single file has saved HUNDREDS of hours in decaling, ini modding, etc (expecially when moving/hiding aircraft and cockpit parts)