Sign in to follow this  
MudWasp48

Moving Trains

Had a Lone Wolf mission and loaded up the Pup with rockets. I don't see them often, but I spied a moving train. Put a few bursts into the Locomotive and actually saw the steam leaking out of the boiler and heard the engine slow. As the steam escaped it's speed slowed, and it approached a bridge. Rocket time....blew the bridge with the train on it.

Good fun !

Any ships in OFF HitR ?

Really? I once put 700 rounds into a train from every angle and it didn't so much as scratch the paint.

Yep, gotta aim for the boiler, spent 35 rounds or so. Three attacks with short bursts of 3 or 4, at very close range, have to pull up quick or crash into the iron beast.

I've tried it before a few times various ways with little impact. What worked for me was flying low and fast at about a 90 angle to the boiler, gotta anticipate where it will be or the angle is off. Pick a spot with no trees.!..and swoop in. Don't want to be too high or the Pup gets the shakes at high speed. I had to pull off on first swoop. Altitude for attack was lower than I originally tried, speed is important and tricky, about 100 to 125, don't pull the trigger till the boiler is very close, and pull up medium hard.

Are there any ships about?

I get Lone Wolf missions that have a map/waypoint taking me over sea, but I've done my own thing.Just didn't see the point of flying to England and back, if I didn't know there was a chance in running into a ship or U-boat.

Good to know Mud. I attacked one with an Alb.D.II a long time back and most of my runs were from directly behind and head-on with no good results. It's fun to play chicken with a train - you should try it. Maybe I need to attack it from the side like you said. Next time I see one I'm going for it. Have you tried flying under some of those bridge structures? Good fun with a pilot you don't care about.

Don't know about boats. I've never flown over water long enough to see them let alone attack them. I'm sure someone else will chime in with an answer.

So you flying the Pup a bit? She's a good tame girl with a predictable feel. In honor of Rene Fonck whose book I just finished reading, I started a Nieuport 17 campaign with Esc 103 (April 1917). They're an elite group and we've been kicking the crap out of Jasta 23 and Jasta 19 with their Alb.D.II's (sorry Olham). I haven't flown the Nieup. much but I find she can be a bit particular especially on left turns. I'll fight all day a few hundred feet off the turf with an SE5a or a D.VII but not with the Nieup unless I have some square 'air' footage between myself and the ground. I'm getting more used to her though and maybe my opinion will change.

I'm a sopwith man, although I do enjoy the Halb and early albatros, even lasted 25 hours in an EIII with 14 kills.

The visibility in the Sops is great and I read the guages easily. Ammo is low

Love the German skins, sometimes I'm so inthralled in the paint job I almost forget to pull the trigger.

I need a good Pup skin....

I've a French pilot in a Nieup 16 that is doing well. Twithchy bird with low ammo, fair fight with the EII's I think. Crazy fighting over the mud low altitude, but that is where we wind up often. He has come very close to crashing many times...

Here are some shots of me attacking a train. You can see from the pics that I hit it from multiple angles.

off1k.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

4th pic is the best chance for a score.

opps I see your plane now in pic 4. Thought that was from your pilot view.

Try 90 degrees or as close as you can get instead of up and down the track line.

Now blowing a bridge is easier with the train track line.

I may be wrong, but I think the rockets in OFF P3 are as powerful as the original rockets in CFS3. So the results are comparable to what happened in WW2 when a train was attacked by a P-47!

Lothar

I vaguely remember a Mod that reduced the lethality of the Le Prieur rockets. Was it Louvert? Or maybe Bletchley did the Mod. I can not remember. It would be great if we could add this to OFFice/OFFworld campaign.

OlPaint

Yep, the Le Prieur rockets do the same damage as the 60lb CFS3 WW2 rocket! Only difference is a little added noise to make them less accurate. If you can find the mod I'd be happy to include it after it's been tested against Bletchley's stronger balloons.

Shoot, now that I look at it the balloons need to be rebalanced against the rockets anyway. Making the changes was pretty quick, but repeated testing takes time. OFFworld members get first access to the revised rockets and balloons. You know who you are... download the latest 1.0.6 test version if you want to give them a try. Let me know if two of the reduced Le Prieur can still generally pop the revised stronger balloons.

I can't hit the broadside of a barn with the Le Prieurs. How does one aim the darn things? I am having better luck with incendiary ammo taking ballons out. I have yet to come close to even hitting a moving train with rockets. Rats!!!

OlPaint

They drop in tragjectory fast, but in a near vertical dive there is no loss of trajectetory.

Just practice some. It's very hard to hit a moving plane with them, but if you're about to collide with one....blast it!

I practice in quick combat with unlimited weapons.

Angle of attack and distance are the biggies.

Kinda reminds me of throwing snowballs when I was a kid.....

and Archery hunting since my preteen years

Lothar

Check your PM box. I found RAFLouvert's Le Prieurs Rocket Mod in my OFF archive that lowers the blasting effects of the powerful CFS WWII tank buster rockets to OFF WWI levels. Maybe this would be an appropriate addition to OFFbase and OFFworld.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01