Sign in to follow this  
bubu

March 2013 patch issue - WW2 aircraft

SINCE applying this patch all WW2 acft (and many others) now "bounce and explode" before takeoff, just sitting there on the runway. Anyone know what is causing this?

• Like 1

Not sure why, but there are several issues with this patch so far. Hopefully fixes will be released soon.

yes, it doing it to f***loads of them...some more so than others

we have 300-400 individual models to run down as to why...don't expect anything soon

so, perhaps listing WHICH do so would be of assistence to 2 or 3 people modding ww2 stuff....

to say nothing of 2 of my terrains that no longer work, that did BEFORE the patch (Hawaii and Midway)

Edited by Wrench

Per MigBuster's long post in the Knowledge Base I think this may be controlled by three variable setttings in the data.ini under "Landing Gears"

ShockStroke=x

SpringFactor=x

DampingFactor=x

Since the stock aircraft all work fine, my guess is he changed those variable settings. On the positive side, extreme low level flight has become quite a bit more exciting, sim runs as smooth as glass...

Increasing spring and damping factors has been working best for me. I still find the need to use the OnGroundPitchAngle=xxx entry. If you change the spring and damper settings this will have to be adjusted as well. It's possible to get the ground angle from the info in the hud de-bug mode or whatever it's called. The actual results in game can be very inconsistent. Sometimes the plane will show up on the runway with no problems, other times a bit of a bump and tire chirp, other times a very quick bump with a bit of a red out. Very strange.

Prop RPM?

not just ww2 aircraft although the Spits and Mustangs ARE heavily effected...

graphiss issues as well

look at the spit, and just inside the wingtip on the Mig-15. (near the decal)

looks like we have new LOD issues now...

Also the YAK-28 Brewers blow up as soon as the progress bar completes... just when we got the cockpits right (grrr...)

Harriers from NF5 are also heavily affected wher it comes to the "blowing up on loading problem".

Best

Dag

Actually the new patch makes a big mess on the plane´s CG. In some planes the CG goes forward and in others backwards - never the same. I´m making some success by changing the CG (with moving the cockpit position inversally - if the CG goes -0.50 the cockpit must be 0.50), setting new gear bouncing valours and reducing the prop diameter on the props. For example, on the Capun´s F4U-1A Corsair the CG changed from 0.0,0.0,0.0 to 0.0,-0.50,0.0. On the jets the CG went forward mostly and without reducing the nose gear spring valour, it´ll bounce untill explodes. Dammit TW!!!!!

• Like 1

you don't have to move the cockpit if you take this line out:

CockpitCGOffset=TRUE

Wrench, maybe I'm wrong but by the screens it seems not a decal problem but destroyed components showing up. Are you using customed data.ini files from previous patch level?

nope, in fact I removed (well, renamed) the data ini on the IDF Spits, and on the Mig15

oddly, the same SPit 9s in my ww2 ETO mod, all the ww2 style decals are perfect. On those, yes, there are newly extracted data inis as I had to 'open the window', group the guns correctly, swap pilots. and affix the tail light to the rudder

OTH, nidiki's Mk 16es (and my mod thereof -which is what I  was testing)  no longer works at all. even with a freshly extracted data ini, even when kept as Spitfire9e_data.ini (and main ini pointer correctly named). Tips forward and blows up.

my suggestion: take the mk16e skins and dump them into the 9e folder, decal folder remains the same, so the pathways remain intact

btw, has ANYONE mentioned this over at 3rdWire??

it can't come from one of us "Big Names", but from a general public user. we get ignored

Edited by Wrench

I think people don't mention anything over at 3W, because everyone gets ignored.

my hat's off the spillone!

deleting the data inis from the spit and mig15 in SF2I fixed the problem. Good catch my friend (which explained WHY my WW2 ETO ones worked -- new data inis!!)

well, that's one down (actually 3..but who's counting)

note to KAW users: extract new MiG-15bis_Data.inis, and put into the Fagot's folder in you KAW mods folder

Well, I've been doing a little foolin' around and I noticed a couple of interesting things. One is that aircraft don't jump around on the Midway terrain like they do on the others, on the other hand , if you launch them by autopilot they take a looong time to get any speed up and just fly around 7ft. off the ground til they run into something. Launched from a carrier (again by autopilot), they fly normally. Flying a P-39D, I noticed something even odder; see the attached image with the main gear legs protruding through the top of the wing. No bouncing, but full gear compression. I then flew the same aircraft from the Philippines41 terrain; crazy bouncing but after it stops, normal gear compression. See the other image. I then took a closer look at what was happening and from an external view, it doesn't look like the plane is bouncing, but the entire terrain. See the vid in the zip. file. Then I took the P-39D and dropped into my modern Europe install (May2013) and flew it off the (nearly) stock GermanyCE terrain. No bouncing plane, no bouncing terrain, no compressed gears. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think whatever TK did didn't pork the aircraft, it porked the WW2 terrains.

If you look here you can see all four stock terrains had at least one file changed: http://combatace.com/topic/78439-new-patch-outnothing-interesting/?do=findComment&comment=625484

Terrain Jump Video.7z

post-60912-0-85702000-1370796337_thumb.jpg

post-60912-0-64588600-1370796354_thumb.jpg

Edited by SupGen

why would it affect terrains that arent modded from terrains in that list?...

and only vietnam ini is altered,icelands isnt.

TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_A.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_B.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_B.LOD
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_B_LOD2.LOD
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_C.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_C_LOD2.LOD
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_C_LOD2.LOD
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_D.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_E.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_F.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_G.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\APARTMENT_H.INI
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\BIG_CONTAINER_24_LOD2.LOD
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\ICELAND_TERRAINEFFECT0.FX
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\ICELAND_TERRAINEFFECT1.FX
TERRAINS\ICELANDNA\ICELAND_TERRAINEFFECT2.FX
TERRAINS\VIETNAMSEA\VIETNAMSEA.INI
TERRAINS\VIETNAMSEA\VIETNAMSEA_NATIONS.INI

Edited by russouk2004

maybe some terrain cat ini extraction is warranted, to examine them for any changes.....hhmmmmmm

ok, I don't see any major changes, other then the addition of _water.bmp and -get this- _location.bmp in Desert, Germany, Vietnam

even better ... the location bmps are NOT in any of those 3 terrain cats. Germany, desert, Israel all have _water bmps. VNSEA does not

Unless they got locked away, my only other conclusion is they got forgotten!

SG: terrains SHOULDN'T affect the gears, but something most definitely is. It could be the pivot for wheel axle we've seen that before on 1stGen models in sf2.

As to the long take-off runs, to me is seems like some birds are either not developing enough lift or have too much drag. I just don't know.

In the new WWW  DAT PTO terrains, Edward has added this line to them main ini:

TerrainType=TOD_BASED

so, I added it to the New Guinea terrain's main ini:

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=New Guinea, WW2

DataFile=NewGuinea2_data.INI

TargetFile=NewGuinea2_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=NewGuinea2_types.INI

MovementFile=NewGuinea_Movement.INI

NationsFile=NewGuinea2_nations.INI

BriefingText=NewGuinea2_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=NewGuinea2_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

Longitude=146.0

Latitude=-6.0

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=green

WaterMap=NewGuinea_Water.bmp

TerrainType=TOD_BASED               <------

give this a shot and see what happens.  I've no f88king clue what's causing any of our 'new' issues with terrains.

Too late for me to try it, I'm back on july2012, with DLC 28 I might add. I'm done with May2013 'til he patches the patch, so to speak. :biggrin:

I am flying almost pure stock, and don't even fly that much SF2 these days other than some quick hops in F-4s, so I haven't seen or looked for problems.

But if this patch is causing so many problems, how come I don't see much if any reports/questions about the problems on Third Wire forums?

TK can't fix or at least explain what changed for problems he doesn't know about.

Carry on!

<Shuffles back to DCS World to practice landing UH-1s on oil rigs and smoking Fw190Ds with P-51Ds...>

how come I don't see much if any reports/questions about the problems on Third Wire forums?

TK can't fix or at least explain what changed for problems he doesn't know about.

Try asking a question in support area?..I did months ago and not a single reply from TK...

No reply doesn't mean he didn't see it.

While the odds of getting an effective patch or even an answer appear to be low, he surely doesn't not spend time browsing here.

Low odds are better than no chance.

really.

over a YEAR ago, after the July patch, I asked why the 'expanding borders' trick by modifying The Wall limits was locked out. (yes, it don't work no more)

Never received any answer.

in the Support Thread, just last month (iirc) a customer was complaining of install issues. HE never got an answer.

personally, I think we're on our own

For support it's best to mail to the support mail address (as long as it's not modding related i presume)

So far I've always received a reply...