reorganizing the SF2 Download section?

Hello CA Members & Admins!

I think it´s slowly getting time to

reorganize the SF2 download section.

There are so many files inside, that a search for specific files

takes very long.

Wouldn´t it make sense to reorganize the SF2 download sction

in a way the SF1 download section is?

Add subcategories for skins / aircrafts?

• Like 7

A very good idea for me. +1

Dave stated once loong time ago it's really PITA to do so, but if we'll behave gently, the powers that be might reconsider this I hope

• Like 1

Dave stated once loong time ago it's really PITA to do so, but if we'll behave gently, the powers that be might reconsider this I hope

Yes i know., i was the guy who made the suggestion that long time ago.

But as longer we wait, the more files we got and as much time the reorganisation will take.

And we really need a better structure for the SF2 DL section.

That is the part where most of the files will uploaded in the future....

The more files in the SF2 section, the more harder to find specific files....

Edited by Soulfreak

Or at least they should fix the damn search "feature" that ignores/misinterpret dashes, meaning that searching for "f-16" for instance returns nothing, on a site focused on military aviation, it is a vital part of the forum search engine (and using google is not really an alternative).

If that was done AND modders all agreed on a common taxonomy for their uploads (some use only "viper" for their F-16 file, others just "falcon", others "F-16", some "F16" or a combination of those, it makes finding everything easily a mess, even using Google), it would made search actually usable.

• Like 1

I totally agree, would be a very useful thing.

good idea!

Hi

Agreed also. With another upgrade in progress this would be a good time for it.

The two section that need it the most are the aircraft and skins sections, followed possibly by objects broken into ground and ships.

Edited by daddyairplanes

I think Gunrunner hit the nail on the head with the search engine's limitations, that alone would be of great help

So say we all!

Seem to remember this caused some major problems last time - is anyone volunteering to help sort this out btw ?

Crashed the server last time ring a bell? Took Erik weeks to sort it out and even longer to stop being pissed at me. Also Erik is still recovering from almost dying last year, he has gone in for several more surgeries and one as recent as March IIRC. When he is up and around, its only for short periods of time. So I am not going to attempt to rearrange the files while he isnt 100%.

**** - had no idea - will PM him a message

Took Erik weeks to sort it out and even longer to stop being pissed at me.

you were a NCO weren't you? if some ones not pissed you're not doing it right! :biggrin: still I guess that kinda answers most of that. may I ask for all of us what would be required (besides sorting the files of course) to make that happen? not to pester about doing it, but at least so the folks at home have a better answer than no time no money too hard. after all Dave you're not TK. Edited by daddyairplanes

In that case the next best thing would be fixing the search... I guess the lP Board licence comes with a certain amount of tech and bug support, and in my book the forum search behavior when it comes to downloads IS a bug (if only because it works for the other searches), and that's the whole reason you pay for a licence.

That would make it relatively safe if Erik didn't feel like messing with the code.

Sorry Dave, I wasn't aware of that :blink:

I hear you guys and I am willing to do whatever it takes to put the SF2 stuff into some type of organizational state but I can't do it alone. So I would need someone like Dave to do all the moving etc. I can create the structure if I have one to create and I can make sure everything is working prior to moving anything but that would be my limit right now.

I have some immediate things to handle concerning the boards which is to get them upgraded and return our functionality to those that use Microsoft products, (Internet Explorer 10, Hotmail, etc) After that I would be down for putting some time into the download section organizational issues.

As for the search engine, it's working as designed. For most it's knowing how to use it that makes the thing useless. This is especially true when using a dash, like appear in our model numbers (F-111, P-51) etc. Let's take a common example like I want to find all the variations of the F-35 so someone would type F-35 into the search box, right? I would it's intuitive, it's the model number. To the search engine what you just asked it was find everything that has an "F" in title/content but don't find things that have a "35" in it. (F exclude "minus sign/dash" 35) So if you want to find F-35s on our search engine you have to type in F+35 or (F+35) or F35 but not F-35. It's ass backwards but the minus sign and plus sign have a distinct function, even on Google. Here it's held to be more exact because we have less content and less fuzzy logic running the search engine. I hope that helps.

Erik

• Like 1

to do it, one needs to be Admin or Staff (moderators) with rights to do so; similar to what I did when Erik gave us the WW2 downloads section. And believe me, that took me 3 days to get stuff transferred over, and I still think I may have missed an upload or three.

I agree it DOES need to be done, but I for one won't put that extra load on The Boss. Hopefully, at a future date we can.

I think the Search engine just got an educational upgrade. thanks for the tip I had no idea. Erik hope your on the road to better health I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

maybe the reorganization of the downloads can be tied to a fundraising effort? maybe after a certain goal is reached the work could happen. That is if the other factors are resolved. perhapse have the majority go to the site but maybe reserve some to "reward" whoever gets stuck doing the heavy lifting on the project. Case of beer,fleshlight whatever.....

I hear you guys and I am willing to do whatever it takes to put the SF2 stuff into some type of organizational state but I can't do it alone. So I would need someone like Dave to do all the moving etc. I can create the structure if I have one to create and I can make sure everything is working prior to moving anything but that would be my limit right now.

I have some immediate things to handle concerning the boards which is to get them upgraded and return our functionality to those that use Microsoft products, (Internet Explorer 10, Hotmail, etc) After that I would be down for putting some time into the download section organizational issues.

As for the search engine, it's working as designed. For most it's knowing how to use it that makes the thing useless. This is especially true when using a dash, like appear in our model numbers (F-111, P-51) etc. Let's take a common example like I want to find all the variations of the F-35 so someone would type F-35 into the search box, right? I would it's intuitive, it's the model number. To the search engine what you just asked it was find everything that has an "F" in title/content but don't find things that have a "35" in it. (F exclude "minus sign/dash" 35) So if you want to find F-35s on our search engine you have to type in F+35 or (F+35) or F35 but not F-35. It's ass backwards but the minus sign and plus sign have a distinct function, even on Google. Here it's held to be more exact because we have less content and less fuzzy logic running the search engine. I hope that helps.

Erik

Get well soon Erik!

If you need help, i´ll be there! ;-)