At some point, did we loose the ability to change the height of clouds? 

I thought I remember someone saying TK had locked that, regardless of what we entered in the EnvironmentSystem.INI.

With the current patch, it is working for me.  So either TK opened it back up, or I'm just nuts.

post-2166-0-70137900-1370705261_thumb.jpg

JSF_Aggie:

It was locked with the Dec2010 patch and Exp. Pack 2.

Of course, before that we still had issues because the Dec2009 patch introduced some changes to the handling of clear TGAs (in conjunction with the introduction of support for DX10). Those changes resulted in the unsightly effects of trees poking through clouds if the clouds were low enough.

There were complaints about that bit of visual nastiness. Instead of fixing the underlying issue, he simply locked the cloud height to prevent players from seeing it.

So, the last patch level that allowed for low hanging clouds without producing the trees/clouds visual oddities was Jun2009b.

If he has unlocked the cloud height, I'd be interested to know if he also resolved the trees/clouds issue. I haven't installed the latest patch (and have no plans to based on reports), so I can't test this myself.

Eric Howes

At what height are these clouds ???  TK had locked them in at about 10k feet back  in Dec10.

best way to test would be on the Himalaya  or Iran/Iraq maps. Fly from Teheran on an overcast day west into the mountains

I personally think they're still locked

I personally think they're still locked

Why?

In my EnvironmentSystem.INI, I have:

MinBaseAltitude=5050.0 (16568 feet)

MaxBaseAltitude=5100.0  (16732 feet)

post-2166-0-27809800-1370731565_thumb.jpg

In my EnvironmentSystem.INI, I have:

MinBaseAltitude=5050.0 (16568 feet)

MaxBaseAltitude=5100.0  (16732 feet)

that's tad too hight for real clouds bases I'd say, as long as one wants cumulus, stratocumulus or stratus reproduced

That was just done as an experiment. Just wanted to see if they would raise up.

For this terrain I need them slightly higher than your values, so they stay above the mountains.

totally understandable

on a related note, there is "humidity" parameter in terrainengine.dll, I tried fiddling with it in some terrain ini file to check if that might change something related to clouds base but without luck

Wow!! that terrain is really looking wonferful, JSFAggie!!!!