baffmeister

Battle of Britain Bomber FM Pack Beta 0.90

A collection of bomber FM's for Battle of Britain use. No instructions included, they are open beta and meant for experienced "do it yourselfers". These are made for AI use and are variations of the "Generic Bomber FM" I have been working on. Some effort put into getting a reasonable speed at sea level but most of the work goes into AI behavior and insuring they get shot down in a "commendable fashion".

Some changes from previous versions:

FMs included for the Wellington, Hampden and Blenheim IV.

Gunner accuracy increased.

Some adjustments to "Armor as Structure" settings and armor protection for pilots increased.

Using DamageRating= Disabled on all components.

Except for the Blenheim, all aircraft are set for MinBaseSize=MEDIUM

FMs Included:

Do-17Z - requires A-Team Do-17Z

He-111H3 - requires A-Team He-111H6

Ju-88A1 - requires A-Team Ju-88A4

Wellington - Requires RAF bomber pack at CombatACE. Drop in FM. Link below.

Hampden - See above.

Blenheim IV - Requires A-Team Blenheim IV and Wrenchs' skin pack. Link below.

http://combatace.com/files/file/13795-sf2-ww2-raf-bombers-pak/

http://combatace.com/files/file/13952-sf2-ww2-eto-bristol-blenheim-mkiv-skin-pak/

BoBbomberFMs0.90.zip

These FMs got a quick check with the May 2013 SF-2 pack and seemed not bad except for the Blenheim, which got some gear adjustments to avoid prop strikes. No guarantees. I don't expect to release any updates for a long time but will add a Ju-87 FM to this thread once I get it working OK with the new patch. :crazy::blink::blackeye::frantic::beta:

Updated Ju-87B & R fm's attached. The usual bomber armor has been added and, because it's an attack type, some of the previous armor values for the pilot have been left unchanged. Getting the landing gear to work with the new patch was a major problem so here are a few notes that may help with other aircraft:

The CG/PivotPoint on the Ju-87 looks very well placed although moving it aft did help a bit. After some experimenting, I left it as it was. [0,0,0]

Changing the mass fractions can change the behavior. I ended up using some ThirdWire-ish numbers.

Changing the empty inertia settings will change behavior. I used the TW P-51 values. The empty weights are similar and with the new values I could use less extreme settings on the landing gear.

Regarding landing gear settings for the WW2 fighter types, I have had the best luck using soft spring/damper tail gear settings, relatively soft spring settings on the main gear but with large damper values. Also, I have been keeping the shock stroke quite short. Unfortunately, it seems next to impossible to get consistent results. At least I haven't seen any prop strikes with the new settings. Current Ju-87 gear settings:

[LeftGear]
SystemType=LANDING_GEAR
Retractable=FALSE
DragArea=0.1
ModelNodeName=LeftGearLegShroud
ShockAnimationID=4
ShockStroke=0.11..................................................short stroke
SpringFactor=1.5    
DampingFactor=3.4.........................................over twice the spring factor
WheelNodeName=LeftWheel
RollingRadius=0.37
CastoringWheel=FALSE
HasBrakes=TRUE
DifferentialBrakes=TRUE
BrakingCoefficient=0.75
RollingCoefficient=0.05
MaxLoadFactor=4.0

[RightGear]
SystemType=LANDING_GEAR
Retractable=FALSE
DragArea=0.1
ModelNodeName=RightGearLegShroud
ShockAnimationID=5
ShockStroke=0.11
SpringFactor=1.5
DampingFactor=3.4
WheelNodeName=RightWheel
RollingRadius=0.37
CastoringWheel=FALSE
HasBrakes=TRUE
DifferentialBrakes=TRUE
BrakingCoefficient=0.75
RollingCoefficient=0.05
MaxLoadFactor=4.0

[TailGear]
SystemType=LANDING_GEAR
Retractable=FALSE
DragArea=0.05
ModelNodeName=TailGearBox
ShockAnimationID=6
ShockStroke=0.10...................................................short stroke
SpringFactor=0.5......................................soft
DampingFactor=0.5..........................soft
WheelNodeName=TailWheel
RollingRadius=0.17
CastoringWheel=TRUE
CastoringNodeName=
Steerable=TRUE
MaxSteeringSpeed=30.88
Locking=FALSE
MaxSteeringAngle=45.0
InputName=YAW_CONTROL
ControlRate=1.0
HasBrakes=FALSE
RollingCoefficient=0.05
MaxLoadFactor=4.0

Here's the new fm's:  JU87B-RfmBoB0.90.zip

Here's a link to the SF2 ETO Ju-87's: http://combatace.com/files/file/13826-pasko-ju-87b-r-sf2-update-eto/

thanks for all this FM work. I havn't tested these ones yet but the others have been a great step forward.