Sign in to follow this  
quack74

WWI Torpedo run

This might be a first for a WWI sim! Stephen1918 will like this one for his Water World terrain.

Since shipping and Anti_Shipping works when making single missions I figured what the heck, I'll take a WWII torpedo and mount it to a DH-4. It took some doing. Few changes to the torpedoes DATA.ini were needed because there are no true torpedoes in FE or SF. So they are modeled after the Cruise Missiles. They skim the surface of the water only. But they do the trick. And if you don't mind the torp falling through the axle, the DH-4 is an ok plane to use for now...Ehem...Ehem...Stephen1918..sorry just clearing my throat!

post-33545-0-52545700-1370918695_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-67001600-1370918696_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-33390500-1370918698_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-90612400-1370918699_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-33377200-1370918701_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-31187400-1370918703_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-19121700-1370918705_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is very cool! Now I want to drop everything and make a torpedo plane. There are so many interesting things to make, I can't keep up.

• Like 2

Very intersting! Can the AI use it?

Drat, there goes the BE2 for another few weeks!

Seriously, that looks pretty good, actually (not the huge torp under the DH4 which I appreciate is just a lash-up for trials purposes, but the ability to do torp runs for the modest price of having the 'fish' visible.

Pity there weren't more than a handful of torpedo bombers in WW1...or maybe it's not a pity, otherwise we might never see Stephen's BE2...or LVG...or Dorand (hint!).

Very good work.

Perhaps we don't need any more help from TK to get this sim ready for the 100th anniversary of August 1914.

If there is going to be a true WWI torpedo plane, Stephen1918 will certainly be the one to do it.

Cuckoo ?

• Like 1

Provided that the AI planes can use the torpedo and not only the player's aircraft (I don't know yet)  and with the incoming new Stephen1918 map  a Short or a Gotha floatplane would be much better....but keep in mind that only a few plane torpedo attacks were registered in WWI, because in this missions (a torpedo has too weight for such a low powered aircraft) the planes were too vulnerable). Most torpedo planes were used as recon or bomber aircraft instead.

My wing man so far has hit the Target (Ship) a few times. But sometimes, even when a ship is the primary target, the AI wing man will go find the nearest ground target (AAA) and launch the torpedo at it. On the bright side it hits that target every time.

Very well, because in the water map every target (ships) are valuable!