Sign in to follow this  
macelena

AI planes kicking my @$$ badly

Wew, i´ve been out of practice for a while, but this is madness. Or like a Farmer would say "This, Is, the AI pack"

I got my hands on both packs, and set up a few missions just to try out: 

2xJASDF F-4EJs vs  2x PLAAF J-6Cs. Got radar contact about 12 miles away, took one down with an Sparrow. Could see the second one, and as i didn´t have all aspect missiles, couldn´t shoot him when we merged. told my wingie to break, and I went the other way. The chinese farmer followed me, we got him in a sandwich, and my buddy shot him down with another Sparrow. While i was herding him for my dumb AI partner to get the shot, he followed me with no trouble. Besides eating an AIM-7. Btw, is it me or the damage graphics improved with May 2013 patch? His wing broke off beautifully.

2x RSAF Lightning F53s vs 2x RJAF F-104As. Picked each other on radar, went for a merge. WRONG they sawed my wingman with the M61. Alone, i forced my plane much, almost hit the ground while rolling too hard. With them pursuing and spraying their 20mm guns, i managed to get behind one for a Red Top shot on one of them. It launched fine, and seemed to be about to hit home, but the Jordanian zipper outrun it. Didn´t even turn hard, lock didn´t break, it just fell to the ground. Got a gun kill by luck, then 20mm sprayed all over my Lightning

2xIDFAF Kurnass vs 4xEAF MiG-19S (67). We spawned 2 miles away from each other. Did the "break for sandwich" thing again. It was me, the four migs buzzing behind me, and my wingman positioned for a shot in 3 miles of sky. He took one out, but i couldn´t outrun them much, and felt to a storm of Atolls. Should have thought of how close the chinese J-6 came to my tail last time i tried.

2xUSAF F-105D Strike, intercepted by 2x PVO Su-9s. Got them on my 6 while about 20+ miles away from target. Dropped tanks, flew low and fast, with Alkalis flying harmlessly by. When i was close enough to the evildamncommsbuilding, i pitched up, sure they had expended all missiles and rolled for a dive, only to hear "missile launch" near the apogee of the maneuver, at barely 300 knots. My pride flew away like my starboard wing. Those reds in the evildamncommsbuilding must have been laughing their asses badly.

Pfew, went full retard for so long that AI seemed Skynet itself.

Edited by macelena

I haven't played any strike fighters in more than a month and I tweeked the AI to be deadly, gowd I will get my ass handed to me in ways I so wouldn't expect O_o

It seems to vary quite a bit, AI attackers ( fighters that are pursuing other flights) can be relentless... but the defenders can be flat out retarded at times. Many times I have watched the defending AI fighters fly in formation with an enemy flight on their 6, as the enemy flight was happily gunning them down one by one

welcome to the club...

without sparrows my phantom could never easily do the migs in 1v1, except run em outta fuel. got the DAT pacific pack, numbers are all that matters, energy advantage can kiss me ass as the jap kites floats at 50kts :blink:

still happily gunning mig-15s atm tho. what a sweet ride that sabre is :dance2:

Things i don't like in the AI:

- They have no clue about what they are flying and who they are flying against. They just turn. So they do pretty well in MiG-17, Hunters, etc... They suck flying F-4's and MiG-21's. Tomcats too.

- No sense of self preservation. They are cyborgs that only want to complete their mission. If you find an AI that is going back to base, you can try and shoot him, put your aircraft right in front of him and nothing happens... It's like you are not there...

Of course these are all common AI problems, because yeah they're AI. And let's face it, it is by far one of the most difficult things to program.

At least, it would be nice that AI had routines, for instance if player is flying a Hunter and AI is flying a MiG-21 the AI won't keep trying to out turn you, instead will use speed and go vertical.

I guess AI programming is the job TK considers the most costly.

I think some stuff can be tweaked check this entires from AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI

SafeAltitude=500
LookoutAngle=90
DefensiveAngle=60

This should be about turning right?

ChanceDefensiveTurn=0
ChanceBreakTurn=10
ChanceHardTurn=50
ChanceTurnDirection=25
ChanceContinue=100

ChanceCheckNewTarget=5

This should improve their energy fighting?
ChanceUseVertical=25

FightWithoutAmmo=0
CannonFireAngle=2.5
RQIRMFireAngle=5.0
ASIRMFireAngle=10.0
RHMFireAngle=5.0
MaxPitchInput=0.6
MissileDetectChance=10
MaxCannonRange=3500
OptimalCannonRange=1000
MinCannonRange=500
MaxRollForGunAttack=45
CannonBurstLengthShort=1.0
CannonBurstLengthLong=1.5
MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.5
MaxRudderForManeuver=0.7

Anyway I never found enough time to test my suspicions but I think that this should work...

one thing i find his that 1000 metres has optimal for cannon his to optimistic

never got a his that more then about 600 metres or less on a turning fight

1000 metres only straight flying targets

there sloud be a no min range for the cannon

Edited by cocas

ChanceUseVertical=25

interesting... can this be defined seperately in each ac's data.ini?

edit: apparently yes..

Edited by Do335

Re Rirestreaks & Redtops, I tend to find they shouldn't be fired at more than 1.5nm from the target. They should be almost as fast as other missiles though they don't seem to be, they also only have about a 2.5nm range so there isn't a lot of time for them to chase down anyone going much above 350 knots... though when they do hit they have one hell of a warhead :)

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Happens to me too on occasion.One day I go outweaponed, outteched, and outnumbered and I wipe out entire flights on my own and another day we have every advantage imaginable and we fall to the stupidest of causes.

Re Rirestreaks & Redtops, I tend to find they shouldn't be fired at more than 1.5nm from the target. They should be almost as fast as other missiles though they don't seem to be, they also only have about a 2.5nm range so there isn't a lot of time for them to chase down anyone going much above 350 knots... though when they do hit they have one hell of a warhead :)

Craig

In fact, i´m more used to launch the Red Tops at bombers, but i remember they could keep up with Floggers in 1979´s Germany campaign. After their minimal distance, they flew pretty well, since i allway expected them to be more like AIM-4Ds. 

The AI is hit or miss most of the time.  Sometimes it's dead-on, sometimes it has a mind of its own, and a slight retarded one at that.

For every awesome dogfight, you have an AI wingman who will dump all of his external stores to strafe a ZPU.  When I was developing terrains, I designed them around the AI.  The ideal number of TargetAreas in a 1000X1000km terrain is 60, 30 for each side.  I caught hell for this, but I think it works best.  Each TargetArea needs to be very challenging, very well-defended.  This gives the AI from both sides the chance to actually get to a target and do something worthwhile when they get there.

When modders figured out how to model friendly SAMs, terrain modders added so many of the damned things I thought their goal was to make a terrain that could, on any given mission, literally kill anything that flew.

Work around the problem, work with it.  When you try to go up against it in this series, you will not get good results.

New goofy story courtesy of AI (not that i don´t like it)

A-4L, Vietnam , Strike on Kep airfield. Flying as low as i could just for fun, i overflew the airfield east of Hanoi on my way to target. I heard "It´s firing his guns!" while the subs appear in red. As i presss "r" to see where does the fire come from, (A BTR mounted autocannon) a deflagration iluminates my cockpit, so i assume "You got it, bragging dumbass". Then I see my plane intact, while the fuel depots of the airfield are on fire. They happened to be between me and the BTR, wich sprayed the tanks with 14.5 or 23mm shells.

• Like 3

Then I see my plane intact, while the fuel depots of the airfield are on fire. They happened to be between me and the BTR, wich sprayed the tanks with 14.5 or 23mm shells.

Good job, 5 o'clock Charlie!