Typhoid

Another wildfire

Wildfire season across the country and a dry winter leaving us in trouble.

Almost a year after Colorado Springs was hit with a catastrophic fire, we have another one burning through Black Forest just north of us. Thousands evacuated and some number of homes lost again.

Scary.

Pray for our Fire Fighters, evacuees, and for rain!

• Like 1

Stay safe brother.

Hopefully this fire wont be as bad as last year's. Good Luck Typhoid

Helping to man the phones tonight in our Joint Information Center for the county.

This is certainly a bad fire and has so far burned about 80+ homes in Black Forest. Still out of control and threatening additional subdivisions.

Watching the heavy air tankers has been quite impressive. Seeing a big airliner drop from about 50 feet among the ridge lines is quite a sight!!

You guys stay safe.  We can build new buildings.

just saw some footage of the fire, holy @!##%$

stay safe!

Edited by Nesher

We've got ahead of it now.

2 dead and well over 400 homes lost. The worst in state history in terms of property lost.

I reviewed the area today with our fire and police chiefs. A tremendous effort with assistance from across the state. Outstanding cooperation among the agencies.

A rough week.

Just saw that on Spanish TV, scary...hope the recovery goes well, we have that kind of issues with forest fires too. 

Maybe the program of controlled burns needs to be expanded. That or all forests must be cleared within a mile of buildings I guess.

Maybe the program of controlled burns needs to be expanded. That or all forests must be cleared within a mile of buildings I guess.

A lot of homes that had some area cleared around them did survive in the midst of complete devastation. That did work fairly well.

Edited by Typhoid

Yes, but I think as an overall plan CO has too many buildings and too many trees for that to be a viable plan going forward.

Of course, controlled burns have their downsides too. We had one here last year I think that got out of control. It burned like 3x the area it should have I believe, and a couple of roads had to be closed due to smoke. No property damage or injuries, though, it just went too far. I remember 1998 was a particularly bad year here for fires too.