I do not understand how you skiners and modders set the position of decals, pilots, effects, fake pilot stuf, etc.

Is it just by trial`n error, or if there is an other way. if there is can someone tell me?

x,y,z coordinates in Max for pilots and effects.

should be x and z (or y and z) off the top of my head for decals, which correspond to the 3D model of the aircraft in meters.

Edited by EricJ

Yes I know that but is there an easy way to know those coordinates

Are you making a 3D model or just putting new decals on it ???

If you are making a new 3D model, there  is a scale in the 3D Max that you can use to roughly position your decals.

If you are just making new decals, then you can look at the coordinates of existing decals and move your news ones from that position.

Thats what i've been doing so far (skins not 3D model) but what if I need a whole new position for the decal

Trial and error. You'll get quicker with experience.

OK, thanks

taking "known" positions of things on the aircraft --this is where it's IMPERATIVE to know how to read a data ini- and adjusting fore/aft, up/down and left/right of said location

after 5 or 6000, you just do it without thinking; become 2nd nature

• Like 1

Check the position of one decal or a pilot, you know where the guy is sitting and you can judge the Centrlal point of the plane. From this point you will simply set new coordinates after a time with out try and error.. but simply correct... it's like knowing the position. Cant describe it with other words.

depending on how you want it to look, you may adjust several times to a precision of  thousandths (x.xxx).   it goes x (front/back) and z (up/down) for decals in that order.

for most of my projects i get the first one positioned how i want, then get the rest of my tgas made with guides in place to help keep it all straight.

• Like 1