I feel like a dumbass asking this but, how does one go about building shortcut icons.  I want to make some icons for my SF games and possibly for this site.  Thanks, Dan

www.xiconeditor.com/

You can visit this site and upload any pic. The site will the allow you to crop it and convert it to an .ico

You then save it to your pc as favicon.ico and can rename it to whatever you wish.ico

Then drop it in the root folder of the app you want to use it as a shortcut for. Right click on the .exe the shortcut is for and create a desktop shortcut by selecting send to desktop. Now select your new shortcut and right click, select properties and you will see an option to change icon. Simply navigate to your new icon and select it.

To actually produce your own icons you can use gimp to create a 64x64 pixel gif and convert it as above.

Edited by Spiritwalker69

actually, irfanview does ico as well

A lot of higher end image editors do it. Axialis IconWorkshop is what I use when I have to only because I rarely have to do them and that does just fine. Search the web for .ico editors.

OUTSTANDING INFO GUYS!!!   I really appreciate the input.  Hopefully I can come up with some good icons and shortcuts.