Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

afterburner.tga file

In SF2 series where should I put the afterbuner.tga effect file actually , to replace the stock effect ? I put it into the aircraft folder and nothing happened, there was the stock effect...I looked tot the structure into CAT file and it seemed that its place is into the aircraft folder. What am I doing wrong ?

One more thing, for Kfir C1, 77 and C2 seems to be just one afterburner.tga called KfirC2_afterbuner.tga....Is this for all three of them or did I miss something ?

Effects folder under your mods folder...

For the KfIr:

Extract the inis for the Kfirs and check what tga is written in,

so you can easy check if the 3 Aircrafts use the same tga. ;-)

Edited by Soulfreak

Effects folder under your mods folder...

For the KfIr:

Extract the inis for the Kfirs and check what tga is written in,

so you can easy check if the 3 Aircrafts use the same tga. ;-)

which is actually the "mod " folder ? I saw the folders ramifications and there is no such folder with that name, so I asumed that "mod" folder is whatever you put there in the corresponding item folder (ini files in aircraft folders already made etc. As I understood they all are "mod" folder in the savegame...Correct me if I'm wrong

PS - where is written the TGA effect in ini Kfir file ? In SF1 the effects were in a separate folder called effect. Here where are the efects and where are they written? In ini aircraft folder? I searched for it on the engine section and there is no such thing, it's only the NAME of the afterbuner.ini used, as it was in SF1

Edited by UllyB

I suggest that you read the knowledge base.

Yeah Ully, the "mod" folder is the StrikeFighters2XXX folder in C:\Users\YourName\SavedGames (in Vista/7). If there's no Effects folder, just create one and drop your new effects in there. This also applies to any other folders that may be missing, if it's not there, make one! In the Aircraft Data.ini is the name of the Afterburner effect, this has to match the name of the new effect. Good to see you coming over to SF2, I think you'll find the file structure is much easier to use once you get accustomed to it. By the way, a little OT, but did you see my post in your "Hangar Noise" thread? Your little workaround works perfectly in SF2 also.

Yes I did see your post, you are generous I might say, thank you. After my last post here I spent some good hours testing and reading, searching...I found a simple method to figure out "what should be put where", because its' confusing after you unpack folders and files from the archive (and YES I read the KB , it was of very little help for me, unfortunately, I didn't understand much thing there , except a few direct points/tips ), because they have different names. First , for instance I thought that the "new" Flight folder it's called "Flighdata" but I was wrong and lost another hour to discover that. In KB no one said a word about this confusion etc. As I said I discovered a simple method to figure out things. I went to the download section for SF2 and i download some effects and a aircraft with effects and stuff and this way I understood where things should be put. But there is something I didn't understand so far and maybe you will shine , for me, a little light here. What I was after for was to change that "disc" (I don't know how to call it) TGA which plays the role of the ...burning engine (inside the exhaust), you know what I mean....There are two component for afterburner. The already known burner effect and that "disc" I mentioned it. I managed to find and change the afterburner effect but I can't change that disc TGA. I looked into the archive and for Kfir there is only one TGA file, KfirC2_Afterburner.tga. It is, after unpack in a temporary folder called "ObjectData018". Where should I put MY TGA with the default name, THAT is the question. Following the 3rd party aircraft I downloaded, that effect stays into the  aircraft folder. I tried that , it didn't work. I try to put it in every folder in the SF2 mod , nothing works. My guess is that there should be a ini files which calls a specific TGA named KfirC2_Afterburner.tga !. Here is where I need help. Where is it that file or where should I put MINE tga with the default name (changed of course to worrk) ??

Yes, you're correct, you need a "AfterburnerEmitter.ini" which calls for the new .tga. When you say you found and changed the afterburner effect, what do you mean? In the aircraft Data.ini? If so, you're only part way there. If you've D/L'd an Effects pack take one of the AfterburnerEmitter.inis and copy it to your desktop. Change the name of the file to whatever you have called out in the aircraft Data.ini. Open the file and change the name under [EmitterType001] to match. Now, in the section below that, [AfterburnerMaterial], you'll see an entry called TextureStage[01].TextureName=Whatever.tga. Change the name of the .tga to match what you've called your new one. Now take that .ini and drop it and the new .tga into the games' Effects folder and you should see your new afterburner effect.

Maybe my English was not good enough to make myself understood. I'll try again:

Afterburner "thing" , in SF2 series, has 2 (two) components:

1) the one you already described last time and I did the same in the post above and....

2)the one with that "DISC" which looks like engine simulated effect, meaning what you would see if you would be staying in the back of jetfighter and looked directly through its afterburner shaft. Now I think I did make myself clear.

The point No 1 is SOLVED, I already stated that in above posts. What i can't do is the point No 2.

What I was saying in my last post is this: the stock aircraft, the ones you can fly, of course, have for THAT particular "disc" shape a TGA file...called after their name(Ex: for KfirC2 is called KfirC2_afterburner.tga and so on) . I couldn't find this KfirC2_afterburner.tga called line ! I need to know what ini files calls THAT particular TGA file! Also i was saying , making an analogy that a 3rd party aircraft has its own "afterburner DISC" simulated TGA effect and it stays in aircraft FOLDER.

Now I hope I made my self clear what I want. So, if you know WHAT ini file calls for Kfirc2_afterburner.tga, please let me know. I looked into all CATs, there is no such file which makes me think that particular TGA file is called directly from the model itself or...it is in that CAT which is not available for unpacking.

More than that, studying all the files I discovered that the three Kfir stock types aicraft has just one TGA file for the "disc" effect. At least that is my guess.

What I wanna do , finally is to change this stock TGA file "disc" effect with a one created by me ! So that's why I need to know what ini file calls for that TGA.

In SF1 series it was simple....there was no disc effect , with very few exceptions (aircraft that had a afterburner node created in 3D model for that particular TGA effect - the No 2  thing I was talking above)

Thank you for your patience and time :)

Edited by UllyB

Try dropping the .tga into the aircraft texture (skin) folder.

Hi the afterburner flame emitter is in the effects folder along with the flame tga. The afterburner burner engine tga goes in the the skin folder. I am working on a mod to change them all its a bit of nightmare as you need every skin folder name.

Howdy, Silver. Could you clarify a little? You sound like you have a better handle on this than I do.

OK in the aircraft data you will find AfterburnerEmitterName= this links to the effects file afterburneremitter which contains the afterburnerfire.tga..The afterburnerfire.tga is in the effects file too..Next is the AfterburnerNodeName= in the aircraft data this controls the engine .tga (afterburner) this .tga goes in the skin file ..hope this helps

Silver, thanks for the quick response, thing is, in the KFIRC2 Data.ini it says this: AfterburnerNodeName=afterburner. Should that be changed to read AfterburnerNodeName=KfirC2_afterburner.tga ? Or is "afterburner" simply the operative part of the phrase and KfirC2 just denotes that it is the correct afterburner .tga for that aircraft? 

Afterburner.tga is the default all afterburner.tga look the same in the thirdwire planes if you want add a different one you Need to put it in the skin folder and rename it to match the afterburnernode name..

Hi the afterburner flame emitter is in the effects folder along with the flame tga. The afterburner burner engine tga goes in the the skin folder. I am working on a mod to change them all its a bit of nightmare as you need every skin folder name.

yep that did the trick. But you know what? I tried this in the first place but it didn't work and I abandoned this lead. I think I misspelled the name of the TGA and that mislead me big time! Thanks. Now I can change all those ugly tga of the engine.

I already have it. This one is made in 2004 and it is  my No1 , too, in my list. However I've got two more....:D