Slartibartfast

How to deal with a Sniper in Vietnam...

that's f***ing amazing!! loved the photos

Edited by Nesher

The tracers are simply incredible.Kind of a waste of bullets, though.But hey, if they got him, who cares.

Wicked - amazing photos - thanks for putting this up

When I saw this the quote came up in my brain "Let slip of dogs of WAR!"

Falcon

• Like 1

There was a 'Blood trail'

So, he probably survived anyway..... Nowadays of course, they would just 'snipe' him back

I wish people would learn what a "sniper" is. Snipers ( who by the way wage war in a cowardly fashion) do not fire bursts into a camp 500m away from a hilltop. An individual who does that is what I refer to as a dumbass.

Not really any more cowardly than using CAS against an opponent who has no means to deal with the attacking aircraft. They have their place and are disturbingly effective.

Craig

Amazing photos! Sure they wasted a lot of ammo for a single Charlie.

Big distinction between as Lord Cranley described as "isolated enemy rifleman" and a trained marksman armed with a scoped rifle. During the Normandy Campaign Cranley, who was the commander of the 4th Armoured Brigade, outlawed the use of the term "sniper" on all the unit's radio nets due to the effect it had on tank commanders buttoning up when it was unwarranted. Take it from me, one who almost had his grape popped by an "isolated enemy rifleman," those types do have a psychological effect. But it is still a dirty bastard that does that,any way  you cut it. Now as for CAS...... that is called winning.

Not saying its noble or anything, but as you said the simple presence of a sniper is enough to give the other guy an advantage. If you play fair you loose, nothing wrong with sneaking up behind and killing someone who didn't know you were there same logic goes for air power, snipers and Submarines... the sneaky b*****d wins.

Craig

• Like 2

As one of those types of gentlemen but out of service now (I finished my service in 2000) I resemble that article... but yes you are correct but one sniper can hold down 1000 men within the area he/she is covering... but remember that a sniper also goes for the highest rank and works his way down... a private is not worth the round but a Warrant Officer and all officers are... and the thing that is most feared is a helicopter and that is any helicopter because if they can spot you they can hit you or call in Arty... which is just not fair... as to a tank you can take out the optics forcing them to go heads out and take the shots on the crew from there...

Edited by Slartibartfast