I was getting myself "re-qualified" on the Sea Harrier earlier just flying circuits about the Invincible and got thinking if it would be possible to set up a splash target. For those that havn't seen one, they are small floating structures towed behind ships; designed to kick up a large wake for the purpose of providing something for aircraft and ships to train their gunners on.

Perhaps an indestructible or very tough, small, friendly boat set in formation behind a carrier?

Or attached to a carrier model in the same manner as deck parked aircraft (though some distance aft and in the water).

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

it should actually be fairly easy ... one would have to create a new ground object, but easy enough to clone an existing one.

I'd use the stock CargoShip, give loads of titanium armor (1000mm??? 500??) and set it up as either static target (easiest!) or in a user built mission, sailing is circles waiting to get shot at.

something like this:

[Hull]

ModelNodeName=body

EffectSize=1.0

MaxExtentPosition= 10.22, 55.37, 6.88

MinExtentPosition=-10.22,-51.33,-3.74

StructuralFactor=500.0

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=TITANIUM

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor[REAR].Thickness=500

Armor[TOP].Thickness=500

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=500

--snip--

[superstructure]

ModelNodeName=Super_windows

EffectSize=1.0

MaxExtentPosition= 10.90,-12.97,18.77

MinExtentPosition=-10.90,-39.88, 5.64

StructuralFactor=5.0

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=TITANIUM

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor

.Thickness=500

Armor[REAR].Thickness=500

Armor[TOP].Thickness=500

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=500

I think a half meter of the armor should do. it will, howver, render it virtually unsinkable and unvulnerable, prolly even to nukes!!

iirc, on The Range terrain, I set up a static ship target. of course, there's no water there...but, you can still bomb and strafe the ship.

Edited by Wrench

Tbh unsinkable isn't so bad for what I have in mind, the real ones are so small that they are almost never actually hit. The idea is just to give something to aim at and the case of the sim record accuracy, the longer it survives the more practice/data I get.

^ Apparently the last Sea Harrier flight before disembarking permanently :(

Craig

ok...

during testing, 500mm of titanium armor was penetrated by AGM-65B. (well, 6 of them at any rate)

I'm going to up the thickness, and retest.

they should be VERY hard to sink