Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Stow Maries" - Original WW1 aerodrome for sale

Just stumbled across this offer: "Stow Maries", a British WW1 training aerodrome for sale.
Anyone with 2 Million Pounds at hand?
I collected some photos from various forums - perhaps one of our history buffs can contribute some information on this old aerodrome?

full-27170-61016-stow_maries_rfc_aerodro

full-27170-61017-stow_maries_2.jpg

full-27170-61018-stow_maries_4.jpg

full-27170-61019-stow_maries_3.jpg

full-27170-61020-crossley_tender.jpg

Now that, Olham, is an interesting find. Tnx for the post, I'm going to have to do some research on it as I'm not familiar with it.

UPDATE:

Just found this link about Stow Marie - http://www.stowmaries.com/

Edited by rjw

Olham;

Now that we are on the subject of aerodromes, I have yet to find any windsocks on the aerodromes of OFF.  Would be useful in determining wind direction when landing.

Looks like it has found a new owner then? Thanks for the link, Robert!

You don't see windsocks??? On my German fields I'm sure we have them.

Edited by Olham

Windsocks are there.  Usually 2/3 of the way down the line of the field.  I don't believe they move with the wind though.

You can get the wind direction from the brief and when there is smoke from chimneys, I would like to believe they show the wind.

In my dreams....guess it would make sense to have a real plane first.

I see windsocks on both sides of the trenches and across the the channel. They are not easily seen at distance.

Nice find Olham...ive got these from there aswell last one i think was taken at an open day

Windsocks are there.  Usually 2/3 of the way down the line of the field.  I don't believe they move with the wind though.

You can get the wind direction from the brief and when there is smoke from chimneys, I would like to believe they show the wind.

Tnx Maeran;

I just went looking for them and confirmed what you said. Little devils were too hard for me to find until I got down really low.

Windsocks can normally easily be found by taxiing into them. Guaranteed to kill your pilot if you're playing DiD!

He must have missed them all the time... :flyer: