While I hope to see it in the fall of 2014 (according to that), I can't swing it now.

It looks promising...but I will hold onto my money for now.

A is the USAF version? No hook on those no? Interesting, but without a new theatre....

I really am not a big fan of the F-35 and modern aviation in general, but for some reason this just looks attractive...

A is the USAF version? No hook on those no? Interesting, but without a new theatre....

Yes the F-35A does have a hook - its hidden in the body work (if I can find that picture)

Not backing this yet - would be better for DCS fans to get a new terrain

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

His ETA is almost 18 months. I think we're all expecting EDGE and Nevada to be out already by then.

Again, people must stop thinking that any of these 3rd party planes have anything to do with what ED's doing with EDGE, Nevada, or its own like the F/A-18C. No one talks about "what MS needs to do first for FSX" when Aerosoft and these others makes planes for it.

A and C Variants have hooks, B STOVL Doesnt, C Hook is different than A Hook.

Gonna back the call for a new terrain instead of the F-35. 

• Like 1

While I agree that a new terrain is badly needed for DCS, I think we can all agree that that ball is solidly in ED's court. Until they release EDGE there's simply nothing anyone can do. Now, I'm not sure how far most have read into KI and their DCS F-35 project, but they have stated that they have plans to develop a new terrain based around Taiwan and parts of China, as well as a Corsair and Zero. I don't know about anyone else, but I think a Taiwan map plus DCS F-35 could make for some cool near future "what if" scenarios.

Yeah but they need about 700 grand for that - at the moment its struggling to go past 25 - shame really even the F-35A would be a laugh with the new capabilities.

Maybe they should give us more than about 14 days to raise the cash!

I believe they stated that the F-35 as well as their other projects will be made even if the KS fails or a given amount isn't reached. It will simply take longer since they will have to get funding else where. I guess we'll see.

After watching a few videos about the avionics and what not it looks like it would be too easy to fly around a blow stuff up. :lol:

Edited by BailOut

Which is the idea behind the JSF program...make it real easy for our guys to fly around and blow stuff up.

See, the DoD doesn't strive for "hardcore realism" when they're making their requirements...

Why isnt there a more consistent aim for add-ons from companies? All of this bouncing around is driving me nuts.

ED needs to direct things better. They say we need an aircraft or helo from this era to fill the current time period and then go from there. A 5th gen stealth aircraft doesnt fit here. No matter how fun it will be.

Whats next? A Fokker DR.1 triplane?

Which is the idea behind the JSF program...make it real easy for our guys to fly around and blow stuff up.

See, the DoD doesn't strive for "hardcore realism" when they're making their requirements...

I can see it now. They get the money, make the F-35 and release it. That same day the forums explode with people crying that the F-35 is too easy to fly, fight, etc. When it's explained that that is how it is, those people start going off on how it's unrealistic, arcadish etc. It's a wonder why no one wants to develop flight sim's any more...

How much you want to bet when those sims were coming out in the mid-90s there were people at the DoD that saw and played them and said "why can't the real planes do this?"

Quite a few I would imagine. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those same people are behind the design of the F-35s avionics. That's what I find so interesting about the F-35, If they get everything to work as advertised on the actual aircraft, it will be like playing a video game. The SA created by the DAS and the radar should be nothing short of amazing.

The way the US Military evaluates its acquisition/development of systems is by capability, and more directly where there is an existing lack of capability that needs to be addressed.  This is because too many acquisition professionals and politicians were getting sucked into the "gee-whiz" aspects of a system that it would get funded regardless of need.

Now everything needs to be analyzed as to what it brings to the table, but more importantly, what gap in capability it fills.  To this end, sensor-data fusion has been considered a capabilty gap since the capability-based acquisition model came into play.  It's not just fighters, either. SDF is a big deal in every armed warfare component in the military, and just about every program coming online has to be net-centric.

Too many inconsistencies in the developer's claimed background, whether it be military or software related.  My favorite is "Award Winning" claims.  That and the whole "I'm a fighter pilot" B.S.

hmm well without a sudden demand for Simpits - not looking likely anyway

Doesn't help that the public perception of the F-35 is negative unfortunately - all they see is a slow bomb truck - you have to do a bit of research to see otherwise

F-35 is what DCS needs the most?

yeah, because creating simple desert map and placing few already defined runways here and there is obviously too much of a task

...if you know what I mean

For good or ill, ED tied the new terrain to the release of the new terrain engine. No, they didn't need to do it that way, but I'm sure they thought EDGE would've been done long ago when they made that decision. It's too late to reverse it now, they're committed.

However, that's ED, and the F-35 is NOT ED.

Combat Pilot another of Kinney "creations", abandonware.  Full of bugs and holes and left to die.  Fightertown, failure.  When the lease was up, packed it up, done.  What you see HERE, isn't.  The museum has been made aware ;)

Woah slow down Ken, what the entire story on that?