Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Ethical or even legal to sell games?

Since it's been close to a year, or maybe longer now, that I deleted the TW sims from my HD (expect for FE2), I'm curious if I can legally sell them off? In the past, games came on disk where you had physical copies that could be transferred without issue. But that is no longer. Everything is DLC.

So what do you think?

-S

I do not see why not.

I guess it depends on how TK views it. I had bought some older titles with one email address, then switched to another. So I sent TW an email to support asking for the 2 accounts to be merged under the newer one and he did it, so I was able to log into the SF Installer with that email and PW and DL all titles and DLC I own as well as patch them.

If you sell your collection to someone, and tell TK to transfer the rights from your email to theirs, then technically you would be giving it up and handing it someone else. So I think he would be ok with that as you wouldn't be able to get it again that way. However, I can't say anything with certainty other than "you'd have to ask TK".

Now if he says "no", I'd say you could DL the latest installers for all titles and DLC and stick them on a DVD or thumb drive and sell it to someone...but they'd never be able to use the autoinstaller and would have to always grab the patches individually off his site which has become a big PITA now with so many titles and DLC.

Reselling is allowed under conditions by section 3.© of the Licence Agreement included in the installers (emphasis mine) :

3. Prohibited Uses. The following uses of the Software are prohibited. If you wish to use the Software in a manner prohibited below, please contact ThirdWire for information regarding a "Special Use License." Otherwise, you may NOT:

(a) Make copies of the Software, or any portion thereof, except to create backup copies. 
(b) Use backup copy of the Software for any purpose other than to replace the original copy in the event it is destroyed or becomes defective.
© Sell, rent, lease, sub-license, time-share, or transfer copies of the Software. If the software is to be re-sold, all rights under this Agreement must be transferred, the Software must be removed from your computer, and all backup copies must be destroyed.
(d) Upload or transmit the Software, or any portion thereof, to the internet, electronic bulletin board, or any other type of network accessible by multiple users regardless of purpose.
(e) Remove or obscure any copyright or trademark notice(s) on the Software or documentation.
(f) Include the Software, or any portion thereof, in any commercial products intended for manufacture, distribution, or sale.
(g) Include the Software, or any portion thereof, in any product containing immoral, scandalous, controversial, derogatory, obscene, or offensive works.

Cool, thanks. Time to gather up all my emails and such and see what can be transferred. And then find a buyer,

-S

(g) Include the Software, or any portion thereof, in any product containing immoral, scandalous, controversial, derogatory, obscene, or offensive works.

oh boy...does that mean my nekked chicks Nose Art decals really weren't allowed???

:biggrin: