Dave

My Thoughts About Today.....

On July 4th, 1776 our founding fathers got together and a wrote a document that stated we are mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more. The Revolutionary War (1775–1783) was fought and a new nation was born. A nation born on the principals of the Bill of Rights and the Preamble to the US Constitution says is beautifully;

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I served my country for 20 years based on those words and those documents. I have brothers and sisters who continue to serve and some who made the ultimate sacrifice defending those ideals. So remember when you are doing your BBQ today and watching those fireworks displays, that the United States of America was a nation founded;

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

and

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

May God bless you all and God bless the United States of America.

Dave, OUT

• Like 6

Yes I thank our military members, but I also thank the framers, the civil rights leaders, the law makers, and the community people who continue to make this country great on every level. Today is our birthday, and a reminder that we have fought to gain every single benefit we have today.

Hit the nail on top of the head Dave. But let us not stop fighting the forces.... foreign and domestic that challenge our freedom everyday Hoooraah.

Have to agree with Exhausted.

The military don't make a great democracy...they defend it.

Often, the real heroes are the unseen ones...the Farmers, the Builders, The Engineers, the Pioneers...the unsung heroes of the world...they don't sport medals... or stripes... they just make for a great country

You know, the reason we started this mess was our refusal to pay taxes to pay for the French and Indian War.  So speak French tax free or speak English and get taxed. We chose the latter but technically reniged on the deal. A nation birthed in the belief that no one should pay taxes. Sounds kinda loony now huh? Well I am personally happy that the mass of cells that became me, came to fruition in the nation with TEN, count them TEN, nuclear aircraft carrier battle groups. I like paying for that.

Well, it's wasn't about NOT paying taxes. It was about paying taxes but having no say in the gov't the taxes were funding. No taxation without representation. Ergo, with representation taxation is ok.

Dave, thank you and everyone else that has sacrificed so much in the service of our country. My family thanks all of you also.

I will always love my country, and my government....when it deserves it. Continue to support our constitution, I will.

It breaks my heart that our current administration looks upon our forefathers and founders of the constitution as terrorists today,

as opposed to the true heros they are. We will persevere, as they did.

Have a great 4th of July weekend. Take care.

Well said, Dave. 

:salute:

Well.... yes it does. The representation portion of it was that we really wanted above all to be English. To argue for representation in exchange for taxes to pay for a conflict started by us just points to the contrary nature of early American history. The end result was that we rebelled against the English because of their refusal to fully recognize us as them. So we win with a big bail out by the French. Set up our own system of government and some of the first things that happen are rebellions against the national government over taxation policy...... Love it or leave it you still can't beat it.

• Like 1

Exhausted hit it right.  Proud of our nation, warts and all.  Doing the right thing is still important, personally, professionally, and nationally.

• Like 1