Spiritwalker69

A query for any USAF veterans out there ....

My father is ex-Royal Air Force and was stationed at RAF Leuchars between 1963 and 1969. Recently he was reminiscing and mentioned the F-102.

He told me that he can remember F-102's, which he thinks were based in Iceland, landing at Leuchars for refuelling after shadowing Tu-95 Bears down through the G-I-UK gap. He has told me that they had blue and white checkers on the vertical fin but I have been unable to find any F-102's connected with Iceland showing these markings. He thinks that this happened around 1965-67.

Do any of our USAF veterans know which Squadron these would belong to and/or if indeed they were F-102's? Alternatively does anyone know which aircraft type they were likely to have been and where they may have been based?

Was it this one? 57th FIS out of Iceland. This one I took a picture of at the USAF museum.

DSC_0076.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I did think the 57th FIS was the most likely identity myself but was thrown by my Dad saying that the checkers were blue and white. I guess that with almost 50 years having passed since he was stationed there that his memory is hazy on some details.

I will pass this on to him.

The only other one I see with a checker tail from my F-102 book is the 16th FIS. Maybe this one?

102sideviews.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps the paint was slightly faded and it looked blue? Some types of black paint do fade to blue.

• Like 1

Thanks again Guys. I spoke with Dad on the phone earlier and relayed your thoughts.

We did discuss the possibility of paint fade and weathering making the colour appear blue and he agreed that this was possible. He did recall that a 23 Squadron Lightning flew around for some time with a pinkish eagle on the vertical tail fin due to weathering.

He did mention that quite often the F-102's would land and simply roll to a stop at the end of the runway due to being almost completely out of fuel.

Anyway Dad has asked me to convey his gratitude to you all for your help.