Sign in to follow this  
TeaAndScones

F-22 IR Missiles

How do the IR missiles that the F-22 carries seek its target if its being carried within the weapons bay?  I thought IR missile seekers have to be 'outside' so the seeker can track the heat given off by the enemy aircraft - impossible in a weapons bay.

I can understand how an AMRAAM might work when being carried stealthily.  (The missile seeker is slaved to the aircrafts radar, the target is pinpointed by the aircrafts radar, and the missile goes after that target.)  So can someone enlighten my about how an IR Missile would work?

DatBritish.

The exact same way... most modern IR missile have the ability to slave their initial course to helmet sights anyway.

In addition to helmet mounted sights I believe there are sensors on the aircraft itself that feed info to the missiles seeker head. The missile then uses its own seeker head of course after launch.

Lock On After Launch - AIM-9X is supposed to have it from Block II 

Edited by MigBuster

F-22A pilots do not use JHMCS or anything else head mounted. In addition the AIM-9X is not used on the Raptor. the Raptor uses the AIM-9M. The M can acquire with help from the radar. But the door must be open for the round to acquire the target without radar help.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34
  • Like 1

There was a test launch - but looks like its not operational yet

I thought it must have in use by now - been talking about it for years

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-to-evaluate-scorpion-helmet-display-on-f-22-raptor-383307/

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/aim-9x-block-ii-performing-better-than-expected-381569/

2012_F22_First_AIM9X_launch_web_E01068_1

Edited by MigBuster

One of my last TDYs to Edwards in early 2009 was in support of F-22 flight testing. They were flying with the AIM-9Xs and developing it's integration with the jet.

It seems that it is still in flight test though and not yet operational.

Jeff