fucked.

was trying to reinstall SF2, ALL the SF2 titles, and re-patch to either 6/12 or 5/13, when everything went totally and completely tits up. "unable to install" or "installation did not something or another that worked"

So, did a system restore (and of course dumb shit me didn't back up the mods folders to one  of the externals....)

did you know that System Restore ERASES lods, bmps, tgas and all sorts of other interesting and vital files from the mods folders??

like the last 3 days of terrain work on the Phillipines, from the inis (which I kinda expected, everything excepting the inis from the terrain folders.... all it left me was the inis ....I don't even know what the hell I was on the 6th .. what was I working on, on that terrain? what objects did I add??

this whole thing is just becoming too much to bear anymore.

for fucks sake, can we for the love g*d get patches that don't destroy thousands of hours of work??

or, as I have suspicioned for the last several months ...

has the time come that we should just no longer mod these game anymore? Or even try to extend they're usability to "other times and places"?? (like ww2? or Korea?)

I'm so feed up with the bull..

if the games weren't so cheap ... everything else is so far out of my price range.

I just feel like giving up

I am absolutely disgusted with the last turns of events

I know I am a little guy here..lol, Don't be discouraged... with all the vast knowledge of yourself and lots of others, maybe when I patch comes out discuss it as you all do anyways. If the game is not worthy of a patch then don't patch it unless it is a major patch. Make sense I don't now. Makes since to me any way.

Edited by porterjr

Damn Kevin, that totally :censored: sucks man! 

I am so sorry to hear the news, and having been through a similar experience before I can relate.  But don't give up man!  You know us modders are a dying breed these days, in fact, I would suggest we're all already on the "endangered species" list.  So despite all the B.S. and heart break that come our way, we need to fight to mod another day. 

I wish you all the best in your restoration efforts and hope you get back some peace of mind!  :ohmy:

Wrench sooooo sorry man I have done the not backing up my mods but have the system restore to delete selected files that is just insane!  I have not upgraded yet and seriously don't think I will this time.  I have a lot of Combat Ace files from others and you and I have my mods so if their is anything I can do to help just pm me and I send you whatever I can if it helps.  Hang tight Semper Fi buddy Always Faithful we adapt we improvise but most importantly we overcome OOOOORRRAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Wrench.  Given the amount of hours and heart you put into things, I know you're frustrated.  But as one who thinks the world of your work and your efforts, I hope you won't give up.  This community needs you more than it needs TK.

• Like 11

Very Sorry to hear that Wrench,You must be heartbroken and pissed at the same time.But rest assured when you do begin again,This won't happen again cause you won't let it.Good luck man,Hope it's not RIP Philippines.

Heck said it best.....

Dude, that blows dead goats...

Wrench.  Given the amount of hours and heart you put into things, I know you're frustrated.  But as one who thinks the world of your work and your efforts, I hope you won't give up.  This community needs you more than it needs TK.

That's why I haven't done any patching since the june/july 2012 patch.

• Like 1

The same thing has happened to me before, so sorry Wrench.

These latest patches have caused 100% negative results with no positive results whatsoever.

Edited by warthog64

Wrench, that's awful man. Last year I lost 2 HDD's in as many days. My main and my backup. I gave up lost all my mods all my customised files, mod folders and everything I had been working on for months/years. Broke down the whole machine and ebay'd it. As rubbish as I felt at the time, I wish I never had. Recently rebuilt a machine and i'm currently rebuilding everything again, better aswell. Its as frustrating as a piece of tickleing cotton flint stuck in your bumhole. Eventually it all comes good again. Worse come to worse put it to oneside for a while but don't give it all up. You will want to come back to it then you have to face the whole component, driver TW engine crap again. It was a hideous amount of work but I feel better now its all nearly rebuilt again.

Take it easy man.

Sorry for your loss. There are few file recovery programs that might able to salvage most of your work from total loss, give a shot to them. I usually use "Active file recovery", does work but most of the time not 100% recoverable the system. And you can recover the files to a selected location, even if some of the files are damaged you will be able to see what lods, inis, etc you had there.

Kevin I had that double HD failure couple years ago and lost projects and WIP that almost made me pack it in too. However I remembered this:

954630_549034945153397_921945651_n.jpg

• Like 1

Language Timothy!

(One for the Brits)

Hey, I feel with you, Wrench - and like the others said: don't quit! That would be a terrible loss to the community...

I must say, that I stayed on July 2012 and downloaded the patches since but was reluctent to apply them. Looks like kind of a smart move...

what's still frosting my balls, is WHY the frakking game --and JUST the ww2 PTO install-- locks/freezes somewhere between 5-7 minutes into a mission. There's no effects, excepting 1 for the 300mm (16in naval gun) on the Iowa's.

At first I thought it might be an "aircraft" issue (untextured meshes, damage nodes --I'm still using the original issue DAT ww2 IJN/IJAAF aircraft; wolfs birds seem ok) Or a ground object or what??? Doesn't matter what I'm flying or which side. Still freezes

It didn't seize on the June '12 or even the May '13. but it sure as hell as does on this.

Neither my ETO nor MTO installs are doing this ... and all are built from the NA exe.

OTH, the DAT PTO mod is fixed, mostly due to Charles running down that a couple of effect inis were outdated (capatult effect and some other one I forget..)

Fortunately, the System Restore DID NOT touch the WoV Only Terrain Editor (where the PI terrain stuff is for rebuilding), so I can recover the HFD and TFD at today's level.

Fortunately, 90% of the targets ini, 75% of the movements in and somewhere between 80-90% of the types are intact. But I'm still missing the new cites added, and all the 'goodies' residing therein. A hell of a lot of work

Unfortunately, everything I've done since the 7/6 is gone -- and we're talking SERIOUS target area builds, PERFECT movement routes, and neat stuff added to the _types ini. I don't even remember WHAT I've added to WHAT city, and WHICH cities got added to WHICH island.

And everyone knows the Level of Detail I use when populating target areas...

So, I'm gonna walk away from my favorite WW2 region for while to regroup and reevaluate. And what really is pissing me off, THIS terrain is personal -- there are cities and places on the Phillipines terrain where my father was 44-46. and it's not like he's around to ask (passed in July 1975). I'm using what's in my memory, and his collection of photos.

still, this whole fiasco comes under the heading of 'fuck me!'

What is SF like without Wrench´s (your) work

(slightly edited to fit)

easy answer:

Stock and boring

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

Hang In There Wrench My Little Brother Just Got Zapped Yesterday By That CCleaner Trojan And Is Reformating His Entire Drive.Found A Suspicious Uninstall Program And When He Tried To Delete It Smoked His Kernel Then Committed Cardinal Sin Of Reboot.I Have Lost Hours Of Work From Simple Power Outages Which Are Frequent In The Northeast US.

Strike Fighters 2

Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam

Strike Fighters 2 Europa

Strike Fighters 2 Israel

Strike Fighters 2 Israel-June 2010 Update

Strike Fighters 2-May 2011 Update

Strike Fighters 2-Expansion Pack 1

Strike Fighters 2-Expansion Pack 2

Strike Fighters 2-March 2012 Update

Strike Fighters 2-March 2012 North Athlantic

Strike Fighters 2-March 2012 Update Hotfix

Strike Fighters 2-April 2012 Update

SF2_DLC013_MissionEditor_setup_Apr2012

Strike Fighters 2-May 2012 Update

Strike Fighters 2-June 2012 Update

Strike Fighters 2-Jul 2012 Update      I did re-installation issues resolved in this order 

I also created a problem with patches of 2013

I fly SF2 for contemporary period and IL2 for WWII

Even with this kind of trouble, SF2 is a peace of cake, in comparison with IL2 when it comes to updates and new mods.

And I think if Third Wire one day (who knows?) provides us a decent mission editor, and terrains objects like IL2, I'll be very happy to fly only SF2.

So keep it up.

Come one Wrench! Not all is lost.
I guess this kind of things happened to nearly every modder or player.
Maybe my voice is out of the choir, but I guess it's usefull to not jump always as a frog to the latest patch. Since it's not a new thing (from the advent of SF2) the ever present screw up after nearly every patch. Just take a stable one an play with it. We all know the way it's going with this serie. Every time is still a little bit closed than before and with increasing limitation or even with errors so big that put into suspicion of being created on purpose.

• Like 1

Come one Wrench! Not all is lost.

I guess this kind of things happened to nearly every modder or player.

Maybe my voice is out of the choir, but I guess it's usefull to not jump always as a frog to the latest patch. Since it's not a new thing (from the advent of SF2) the ever present screw up after nearly every patch. Just take a stable one an play with it. We all know the way it's going with this serie. Every time is still a little bit closed than before and with increasing limitation or even with errors so big that put into suspicion of being created on purpose.

Alex spoke for me, too

BTW as far I'm lucky enough, I always jumped on the last patch without any issue.

Maybe it's timer to begin a big backup ......................   :blink:

Okay, Spillone104 - but somebody HAS to do the testing (as long as TK himself does not do enough himself).

You are partly right: sometimes the blow hits you, sometimes someone else - still I have deepest sympathy with everyone who has to find out that he was f***ed...