Sign in to follow this  
zoomzoom

Embodiment of WOFF?

I use this term "Embodiment" for lack of a better way to put it. In essence, my question is, will WOFF be an all encompassing creation, or something that is added on yet again to HITR. I was thinking it would be pretty neat if it was an all-in-one sort of deal where you simply get everything from start to finish in one cd or download. In other words, other than MCFS3, you just do one other install to arrive at WOFF completion, without a bunch of patches and complication in between. Does anybody know if that is how it might work? Makes no difference to me cause I will be thrilled to have it either way, but I was just curious.

ZZ.

PS. If this has been asked before......my apologies.  poopy.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ue6V3MJFIs.gif

If you look back at the various threads regarding WOFF you will probably deduce that it is a full install that only requires CFS3, but it probably won't be long until someone starts adding mods and such because that is the nature of the human race. We are never satisfied with results and always try to make improvements.

If anyone has a different opinion, feel free to correct me.

Best Regards;

There was no such deduction. Thanks.

ZZ.

Hi zoomzoom! Nice to see you back on the boards again. I think, given the amount of time being put into WOFF, that the devs are aiming for a one shot, complete install of everything. Now granted, I'm just guessing, but I can't fathom something taking this amount of time and not being a complete, out of the box experience from day one. In the meantime, I'm still finding more and more things in OFF that I haven't seen before. My latest batch of pilots have run into new squadrons, all flying new paintschemes that I haven't seen before in this sim. OFF... the gift that keeps on giving.

Cheers!

Thanks CaptS, it's good to be back. You are so right about the vastness of content already contained by the current level of OFF development, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the OFF skies with the new rig that Lothar and MudWasp assisted me in designing. I'm a bit OFF deprived right now, as I haven't been able to really play it for a few years now, so you can imagine I'm chomping at the bit for this new rig to show up at my door. This coupled with the eminent (lets hope) release of WOFF in the near future, and there's a lot to look forward to. So I have to come here and talk to you guys to keep from counting days (and making it seem muuuuch longer) till everything arrives. Till then, here's to not watching the clock.

ZZ.

Hey ZoomZoom;

Keep on posting, as it alleviates the boredom of having so little posted these days. Always good to hear from fellow simmers.

Best Regards;

CaptSopwith;

been following your threads with Olham on the skins. Just which craft do you have skins for from Olham? I have done a few myself and if any fill the hole for you then no problem.

Best Regards;

WooHoo!!! New computer!!!!

When is it arriving?

I remember waiting for my new cpu, mobo, ram and graphics card this past February. Felt like a 5 year old at Christmas. Santa and his sleigh being replaced by the UPS man and his brown truck.

Hey ZoomZoom;

Keep on posting, as it alleviates the boredom of having so little posted these days. Always good to hear from fellow simmers.

Best Regards;

CaptSopwith;

been following your threads with Olham on the skins. Just which craft do you have skins for from Olham? I have done a few myself and if any fill the hole for you then no problem.

Best Regards;

Hi Robert!

Olham has created a few skins for my German pilot. So far I have an Albatros DII in two variations and a brand new DIII. I do wish I had some proper photo editing software so I could take a stab at making some new skins. I remember doing that back in the RB3D days, although I fear Microsoft Paint no longer cuts it as an editing tool.

Cheers!

CaptSopwith

Edited by _CaptSopwith

WooHoo!!! New computer!!!!

When is it arriving?

Estimated 1.5 weeks. So you see my anticipation dilemma...lol. My Trakir5 got here in 1.5 DAYS!....so yeah. I'm a little eager. Will be worth the wait though to actually be able to play without stutters even on lowest marginal settings. I've also commandeered the large screen HiDef TV screen in my den for a monitor, as well as my sons' X-Rocker gaming chair for this new incarnation of OFF, so this should be a very cool combo. The neat thing about the X-rocker is it has built in speakers that you patch the sound output from the game into. There are two speakers behind each ear for ambient sound, and a subwoofer at your lower back with which you can adjust the "rumble-response". You really feel everything....I was testing out the concept with my old crappo rig and IL-2 Sturmovik, and was amazed at the sensation it provides. When you fire up the motor....you feel it, when your wheels touch earth, you feel it....when bullets hit your crate....you really feel it. Can't wait to get back into an Albatros, and.....you guessed it.....feel it. hyper.gif.pagespeed.ce.FBmB7Mp3Td.gif

ZZ.

PS. Thanks again Mudwasp for your assistance in the component selection process. I need to give Lothar a shout out too, you guys were invaluable

Edited by zoomzoom

CaptSopwith,

Those are some sweet looking skins. Olham is very talented! When the library is back up I'll look for the red "R" skin

ZoomZoom,

WOW! You have a great set up now...that chair must be amazing. 

What do the FW-190's or P-47's big radial engines feel like? 

Il2 has a few biplanes to fly if OFF won't run well on your current rig.

All you need now for realism is a big fan blowing in your face with a castor oil misting system....goggles and scarf too....lol

Good to hear I was of help and glad you found a customizable build that fit your budget and needs.

What do the FW-190's or P-47's big radial engines feel like? 

All you need now for realism is a big fan blowing in your face with a castor oil misting system....goggles and scarf too....lol

Well, there is a low rumble and you really feel it in the seat of your pants and in your gut when your idling on the runway. As you would expect though (as with all vibratory response) this changes as the pitch of the motor increases due to rpms. It really is astonishingly realistic. On landing for instance, the wheel noise is of a different frequency, so therefore registers differently. This was the first time in a sim I ever realized I had touched down by the feel alone, and not the sound. Very wierd, but very cool.

As for your second statement, if there was a way to get the real feel of G's, and that rollercoaster "stomach in your throat" feel when pushing over into a dive after an enemy, you bet I'd use it. In fact for full realism qualifications I'd make it mandatory. Would totally change the way a lot of yank and bankers fly when their insides have to suffer for the maneuvers they are pulling. Ah well, guess we will have to wait fo the "Trakir-cerebral sensory manipulator helmet" to be developed. In the meantime, we'll muddle through.pilotfly.gif.pagespeed.ce.SDXsiZ7eF_.gif

ZZ.

CaptSopwith,

Those are some sweet looking skins. Olham is very talented! When the library is back up I'll look for the red "R" skin

Is that one of the skins included with OFFice in the 'Skin in the Game' pack?

So, did you set this up in the den in front of the big screen or move the big screen to a different room?

No complaints from the woman of the house, if you have one? Mine freaked out one day that I had off during winter and set up my PC and flying controls in the living room and hooked them up to our big screen. Wish I'd thought ahead to have a movie camera running to document the event. The look on her face was priceless.

My house (cabin in the woods) is small so I use headphones, and actually prefer them over the dolby 5.1 I used before. Been checking out some newer headphones, the Roccat 5.1 look interesting.

That chair has to beat headphones. Enjoy!

Which one rocking chair are you using? 

http://xrockernation.com/

ZoomZoom, nice to see you back around here!

WOFF will still need central CFS3 files, and therefor the user must have or get CFS3.

Apart from that it will be a whole new sim - not just an update or add-on for OFF.

Robert, thanks for your kind offer, but I'm addicted to skinning - so I'll do any new skins I need, myself.

But when the download section works again, you could always make them available for everyone there.

Wasp, the "R" skin is a special paintjob for CaptSopwith, but you may like any another of my skins

from the download section. Mind you, they are mostly Albatros skins.

Olham,

I'm hoping the library comes back up soon as my german pilot recently received a sleek new Albatros DII.

Hey Olham, good to see you again too.

Mudwasp, our den is already sort of a "gamer zone" between me and my sons stuff....(he has an Xbox 360 there too). But it looks nice because we have a tv stand that holds most of the game consoles and messy stuff in a rather neat fashion. So for me to play OFF and the like, all I have to do is slide the rocker out from the wall (where its kinda used as a room chair anyway) and out in front of the tv. Slide out the rudder pedals with it as well, and I'm all set. It's just as easy to put back when I'm done, so my wife doesn't mind. I attached an image of what the X-rocker looks like. It's the one with the base, but it isn't wireless.

ZZ.

post-45966-0-66275200-1373583972.jpg

That's slick ZZ.

I was wondering if the chair had wheels.... envisioned it vibrating itself across a tile or hardwood floor..lol

No, it has no wheels, but is quite simple to slide. I have it on carpet, but on a wood floor you might want to put something under it to keep from possibly scuffing your floor. It should stay wherever you put it though.

ZZ.

Sorry to stray further off topic, but I wonder if WOFF will support this:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Appears to be in development at the mo, but if it does

what it promises, would be a mind-blower with OFF/WOFF.

I like the seat ZZ, I'll see if you can get them here.

I use a VRF seat thing which works okish, can't give

it unqualified tick though.

Cheers

RS

Not sure if I would trust such a device, not to damage or overstrain my eyes.

My eyesight is most valuable to me.

I guess I would first wait for two years, to see if any problems occur.

Hi Olham,

yeah, same thoughts crossed my mind too. I also doubt my

spectacles would fit under the thing.

But the developers appear to have this issue covered,

according to the FAQs anyway, and I guess I would have

to go with contacts when/if.

In any case, commercial release is some way off and only

developer kits are available currently - no flight sims

have taken the device on so far.

I must say though that the prospect is exciting, far more so

than TIR and that device transformed my experience of sims.

Should take immersion to another level.

Interesting times, and besides, something other than WOFF

to look forward to.

Be good.

RS

PS = The ROFers at SimHQ have a discussion going that may be informative.

Edited by RamblingSid

I must say though that the prospect is exciting, far more so than TIR and that device transformed my experience of sims.

Should take immersion to another level.

If they can get a high enough resolution to work, so that it looks the same quality as my monitor (or even better),

then it might really be interesting. I guess they should definitely better care about that problem.

There are a lot of possible customers over 40, who may be wearing glasses.

Here is what they say about this matter:

Can I wear glasses while using the Oculus Rift developer kit?

This really depends on the shape and size of the glasses. The developer kit is designed to sit as close to your eyes as possible

which makes it a bit unfriendly for glasses. That said, we’ll do everything we can to make it as comfortable as possible for the

developer kit and we have a lot of great ideas for supporting glasses in the consumer version (especially since huge portion of

the Oculus team wears glasses every day!).

Edited by Olham