I don't suppose anybody has experienced, or knows the cause of, an out of the blue occurrence where my SF2 install suddenly freezes?

Here's the scenario - it doesn't matter what aircraft I'm flying (modded or stock), it doesn't matter what terrain I'm using (modded or stock); but EVERY SINGLE F**KING TIME I PASS WAYPOINT 4 - the game freezes and I end up having to do the Ctrl+Alt+Del dance to exit the game. 

I don't think it's got anything to do with the latest patch, as I installed it six days ago and it's only today that this has cropped up. Last night I flew a full mission or two and everything was fine. And I haven't edited any major INI files since then

I have all the SF2 titles along with Expansion Packs 1 and 2.

For once I'm just totally lost :deadhorse:

Very very strange .... the forth waypoint curse!

Have you tried to run a vanilla istall using one of all game exes without any mod installed?

Does it happen even with a stock install, so one that has not been modified in any way? (not fast enough)

Because it seems like the latest patch has introduced a number of freeze issues, which are however infrequent and occur in different situations.

I guess we need a pinned thread that is called "July 2013 patch freeze issues", otherwise there be numerous threads all over the place if this goes on.

Edited by Gocad

Ground Object? I put the YAP LST in my test terrain to look at it real close and I got a random freeze, never had that before, So my guess is one of TK's ground objects is porked, freezes when it loads the .ini / lod. Something to look at maybe? Or an airfield .ini / lod.

yes, freezing has been reported in at least 2 threads here

mine are completely random (however, this IS in my heavily modded WW2 PTO install) I haven't tested the 'modern era' installs, as I' still trying to recover all the stuff

the last one I experienced, was after I got shot down, and the "random view of things on the terrain" was flipping through random things on the terrain. Froze on a Fletcher DD. Had it freeze on vehicles, aircraft and aaa, whatnots and etcs

comepletly random and irrational

For the record, I just had freezes accessing the Loadout and Map menu, but also when trying to edit a mission using the editor. I have a hunch that it has to do with a mod, but I'm at a loss what it could be. No freezes during flight so far, but then again I haven't been doing much sightseeing lately...

Wrench, which Fletcher was that? I got one that was part of a PTO ships pack (I think) that gave me nothing but stability issues. The weird thing was, I could cycle to it by F7 and pan around it until I got a 3/4 port side front view, then the game would freeze, but only if I viewed the Fletcher from that point, be it from F7 camera or from the cockpit. I never posted about it because it was such a strange and specific problem that I had to be the only one having it.

I finally said "fuck it" and deleted the thing, and put in a Sumner-class when ever I needed an American DD.

Edited by Swordsman422

really? that should be the "original issue" lod, as the later one's had some oddities (with crashing and stuff).  It's a vitally needed boat for WW2!!

again, these freezes/seizures/spasms/ didn't occur on the June '12 or even the May '13 patches (that I can remember)

I'm just tryin to figure out HOW I'm gonna go back one step ... have a funeral to go to tomorrow (my cousin passed yesterday), get to start 'calling in' for jury duty next week ...and who know's what else is lurking in the wings..

Sorry about the late reply, lads; I was just checking out a few ideas there.

First off, I tried out what Paulopanz suggested - and flew a single mission on a clean SF2V install. No problems at all to report there.

Secondly (and I thought this was interesting!); I renamed my modded F-4E_72 and placed a vanilla folder in its place - no INI mods, nothing, just the stock aircraft INI in the folder. Flew a Sweep mission in a modded Desert terrain. No problems at all to report there.

EDIT: Just thought of something; this might have something to do with what Raven mentioned about screwed up groundobjects. That F-4E_72 mission I flew was in 1972. I think I'll try a stock F-15 in 1982 to be sure if that's an issue. Stay tuned......

Edited by Piecemeal

That's it; I've had it with this sh*te!! Now my missions are freezing during ALL time periods, not just in the late 70s/early - mid 80s!!

I installed the patch - I extracted, updated and replaced ALL the relevant files in the ChangeList.ini - and then not one, not two, but SIX days later I start getting this crap!!!!

I'm starting to feel like Wrench and at this moment in time feel like totally throwing the towel in with this lot :suicide:

This is the first time I've ever had such serious problems with patches in all these years. Tomorrow I may have cooled down a little and may feel different; but right now I feel like logging onto ThirdWire and tearing TK a new asshole. Maybe after a good nights sleep I might feel a little different.

it wouldn't help yelling at him. I mean, seriously, what good what it do? I'm sure he's just as confused as to what's causing it as the rest of us.

Shut the computer down restart, if that doesn't work looks like you need to do some maint. and a fresh install.

Maybe it's a problem with your hardware going bonkers? Have tried other games?

it wouldn't help yelling at him. I mean, seriously, what good what it do? I'm sure he's just as confused as to what's causing it as the rest of us.

Maybe you're right, Wrench. The fact that we're in the middle of a heatwave here in Ireland ain't helping either. We're not used to it on this little island. :heat:

Maybe I'll try out this new hotfix. What the hell; what more harm could it possibly do?

Thanks Gocad. Apparently to this moment, the problem with the freezing in loadout and map screens was fixed with the Hotfix. I have flew three missions without freezing; however to confirmed today later.

Edited by regula50

As far as I can said TK's hotfix appears to have removed the freeze issues for me.

Same here :)

Well at least he was able to find it fast and get that out.

Just ran a mission after installing that update; so far so good - no freezing after passing waypoint 4. 

This seems like a step in the right direction. I just hope this crap won't start again in six days!

At least that made a half decent conclusion for a bad day. Had to collect my missus at the Doctor's surgery after she passed out at work from heat exhaustion. Nothing that a little TLC won't take care of....

i'm almost afraid to run it at this point. still trying to recover from "issue" I caused by the restore (I just found out yesterday, that it erased ALL my maps/nav charts I was using to build the PI with!! thanks, Micro$oft)

don't feel like rebuilding 10 mods folders for the 3rd time this week....

If installing to do just a raw backup ( for the unpatched stuff), with no mod's can the Username..... Folder be skipped?

All I did earlier was I copied the entire mod folder (in this case MyName/Saved Games/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2, pasted it and renamed the copied folder "StrikeFighters2_Backup".

I then ran the update, restarted my desktop and ran a single mission.

Conclusion: no problems (so far)

well...

I'm taking the plunge.  Noticed earlier today, that after the Restore, ALL my DLCs vanished! So, might as well install everything and patch it up.

I'll report more over the weekend

luck to us all!!