Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

US Drone crash, QF-4 Phantom

Will shurely feed a little the hungry anti-drones.

Ha - well there is a quote on the comments page from the uninformed public:

And our wonderful congress wants these dangerous drones flying over America

:beach: 

• Like 1

i want those particular drones flying over my neighborhood.  but maybe i am a lil phanatical......

• Like 2

I didn't see in the article, did the robot eject???

they said unmanned, not un-piloted. heres a pic of the pilot...

The whole American citizens in a uproar over "Drones" is beginning to make me sick. We have been shooting down TARGET DRONES since the 1940's. People need to chillax. Most military communities are used to the side effects of living near a military installation. At Ft. Riley near the big tank range is a very small town called Riley, KS. We would literally shoot 120mm all night long not 2 miles from the town and the citizens never complained. They even had to redo the sheetrock in the small town hall building due to cracks caused by the vibrations of almost non stop tank guns banging. Still the people never complained and when interviewed by local news one citizen stated that the ruckus we made on the range was "the sounds of freedom."

Fuck people are DUMB!

• Like 1

"The drone is 63 feet long, rising to 16 feet high and officially weights in at 30,328 pounds." - yes, this is because it was a fighter jet at one point, converted to a drone after its operational service life ran out.

Comment: "Holy crap - drones are 30,000 pounds and 63 feet long? Maybe we should rethink flying them around sporting events and cities."

I half wondered if anyone reporting on this story, or reacting to it, had any clue about historic military aircraft.  That's when I read further in the comments section and came to the realization that no, no one commenting there does.  After about two entries I got depressed, and by the third, I got depressed and angry and had to stop reading them.

Edited by Caesar

Makes me sad they use the Phantoms in this way - I know that realistically they are otherwise just junk anyway, but the aircraft enthusiast in me wants to preserve them all, and keep them flying in air displays (or even active service with loads of upgrades!), or at least put them in museums. 

The thought of just blowing them up (especially when they're in airworthy condition) is just heartbreaking.

• Like 2

they get better treatment than the Tomcats got on retirement... the Cats got shredded in an industrial woodchipper!  at least the Phantoms get used to train the next generation and many make it back to base even after being hit.