CaptSopwith

Dear oh Dear... We Need WOFF

My fellow OFFer's: I've been following the boards closely for the first time in about a year. And over the last few weeks, I have to say, I think we are in dire need of a release of WOFF - and soon - or we might not have much of a community left.

I know that it's the summer months and many of us are off on holiday or busy working, but the lack of activity around both here and SimHQ is, to be honest, disheartening. I hope the quiet is only an indication of happy fliers off enjoying the original OFF while patiently waiting for the next version and not, what I fear, the silence of a community that isn't really here anymore.

While I am happy to see familiar faces, and we do get the occasional new pilot popping in with questions, the silence is otherwise deafening. Even the after action report I posted a few days ago only received a few replies. Worse still: on SimHQ, I posted the report again to try and garner some attention for OFF, only to have OFF confused with Rise of Flight.

While the mods released for OFF is keeping things going for now... this is beginning to have the eerie sensation of the old Red Baron 3D boards when the sim started to finally die out. It's disheartening and, worse still, seeing just how good WOFF already looks, the increasing passing of time while we wait is, I fear, beginning to have a seriously deleterious affect on the community as a whole. People aren't reading the boards, they aren't visiting, and I worry that when WOFF is released, the number of people who hear about it will be far fewer than a sim of its undisputed quality truly deserves.

I sincerely hope that we start hearing more about WOFF and soon: It's going to be a major release and I feel, given the passage of time now and the continued aging of the CFS3 engine - it's going to be the culmination of what OBD can do with this engine.

Pol, Winder, Shred... you know that I have the highest respect for everything you've done over the years and OFF is still the most fun I ever have sitting at my computer - it fuels my passion for my own work - but please, give us a sign soon that things are at least progressing and that all is on track. I sincerely hope that my post is read as intended: with all due respect and as a heartfelt hope that things get busy around here soon. The quiet around here is beginning to worry me.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

This exact thing happened before P3 and P4 released. People may not post, but they pop in to check for news. The type of people who like this type of sim will not give up or go away.

Given the trouble I've had finding people to sign up for OFFworld (seriously the most fun you've had with OFF in years), I'm growing pessimistic. With all the silence from OBD, I've been the only one actually releasing new and improved gameplay for OFF, and for the most part no one seems to care.

Silence.... Yes; I don't know about that, I have seen more silence from AAA dev's. Did they just not post reassuring us that it is not vaporware? As far as basing it on the interest of your own software endeavor is a mistake. What you have done seems incredible I think allot of people are just interested in the sim itself and do not feel a need for the additional role-playing you offer. Just wait when they drop the bomb this place will be jumping.

Cheers.

Don't be faint-hearted - WOFF shall come to those who trust.

I pop in daily to have a look but don't have much time to read/write, I'm too busy flying !!  :biggrin:

Don't think it's WOFF (or lack thereof) that's been the Problem.

For me, the problem was moving the main forum to that 'Other Site'

The "other site" issue confused me when I first bought OFF and was looking for tips and general info.

Found this site via a google search for OFF plane skins

There is less activity there and as far as I'm aware no file library. Hope the library here gets back up soon.

Last week I was visiting a friend with high speed internet and watched the WOFF video on a large screen. It looked great and had me itching to see another video or some screen shots. Don't want the OBD team to be focused on development updates and not actual development, but it sure would be nice to see another preview.

I check every day, too...but not actual flying for me for some time now (in any sim)...

My laptop broke down, I now have repaired it, but had to reformat and lost everything.

I didn't reinstall OFF waiting for WOFF, but it seems to take ages to be finished and released!

Hey, MudWasp48... you said the WOFF video, there are 4 of them out there...

I agree about the move to the other forums being detrimental to OFF/WOFF and said so right from the get-go, (I was hoping to be proved wrong, but...).   While we all continue to wait, (and wait and wait and wait), for the much anticipated release we should just start sharing whatever we wish to about life, the universe, and everything.  I've always enjoyed the company of you lot whether discussing our favorite sim or anything else so lets keep things going around camp by opening the bar, running a tab, (on Pol and Winder and the rest of the devs of course), and let the jaw jacking continue in earnest.  Perhaps a lively discussion about the current financial/political state of the world.  Or better yet, religion: Who's right?  It is, of course, the Methodists.  :grin:

Barkeep!  Another stout and two fingers of Tullamore Dew parked neatly next to it if you please.

Lou

we're still here, no worries

I only watched the latest, Elephant.

Guess that gives me something else to savor in the waiting period. Might have to ration them...

Yep, I'm still here. I don't post so often, but I do check in periodically.

I'm not big on the other forum myself. I made an account there once upon a time, but only posted once. Much prefer CA, and with the exception of UncleAl I know I can find all you chaps here.

Did I hear someone mention Tullamore Dew????? mmmmmm luvs them single malts I does!! I guess we can always quaff if we can't WOFF!!

Still here and flying mostly. Working on some vids and not posting much lately.

I check in pretty much every day.   I don't check in expecting to see anything new though.  The Devs had been kindly posting new pics and the occassional video now and then, but it seems that I guess for some people that irritated them more than anything else, so they stopped posting them.   Poor Devs can't win for losing.  

Until such time as they are able to release WOFF, I just occupy myself with other pursuits.  Rift, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, RoF, WoP, writing, whatever.    I figure when WOFF releases I won't have time for any of my other pursuits, so I might as well get as many of them in as I possibly can before that happens.   Then I won't feel guilty like I am neglecting them when I'm able to spend endless hours flying WOFF.

I check in pretty much every day.   I don't check in expecting to see anything new though.  The Devs had been kindly posting new pics and the occassional video now and then, but it seems that I guess for some people that irritated them more than anything else, so they stopped posting them.   Poor Devs can't win for losing.  

Until such time as they are able to release WOFF, I just occupy myself with other pursuits.  Rift, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, RoF, WoP, writing, whatever.    I figure when WOFF releases I won't have time for any of my other pursuits, so I might as well get as many of them in as I possibly can before that happens.   Then I won't feel guilty like I am neglecting them when I'm able to spend endless hours flying WOFF.

I have to say, it's good to see a lot of names I recognize! Hope you're doing well Hellshade! I still enjoy watching your OFF videos over on YouTube.

I also wasn't aware that people were actually complaining about getting previews... seems really baffling to me. I'd much rather enjoy some eye-candy to tempt me along for another two weeks! :biggrin:

Have faith my friends.

Cheers,

shredward

• Like 1

We're all still around, I'm checking in almost daily, never posted much, but always enjoyed hanging around here, reading your posts, your well written after action reports aswell, Captain. I still enjoy OFF, in fact am more flying than earlier, because I don't have to even think of mod handling, since OFFice took over all this work, thanks to Lothar. Presently flying 94th Campaign, Octobre 1918, active Verdun region, during the battle of Mihiel-Argonne, quit busy here... airwar last 100 days (anybody wants to join before this OFFworld campaign comes to an end?).

It's still a good place to be, wonderful community, and it will much more populated when WOFF nears its release state I am sure. Would love to see again screenshots or videos, can't understand why this should be tension rising in bad way...

Have faith my friends.

Cheers,

shredward

...and if in despair, use the "Faith Healer" from "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band" (one of my all-time-greats).

Hey lads! I've got a ballpark estimate of the release date for WINGS, is that what we call it for short? Anyway, since I am sooooooo...... looking forward to the spring 2014 release of The Elder Scrolls Online I calculate that both games, sorry Olham, will release on the same day creating a mind numbing situation of which one is going to suck up my time and existence the most. These 2 releases are all I look forward to for future gaming as they will be awesomely huge and most excellent. I look for new word of TESO every day and I can't understand the complaints I've seen about being teased with pics and vids of Wings progress. I for one like to be teased with goodness and have my expectations elevated. In the case of both games my faith is in the devs. I am in both cases an unapolligetic fan-boy. There's my 2 cents for ya!

Best wishes, Rickitycrate

• Like 1

I'm with you Rickitycrate.   Can't wait for TESO.  I was bummed they pushed it back to 2014 to allow for next gen consoles to run it, but I was hoping that would give WOFF time to release first.    Time will tell.

I check in here daily, but by and large don't say much.

I'll have something for you all after my holiday next week, since I am going to see the Shuttleworth Collection on Sunday.

• Like 1

Oh great! - the interiour of the Pup, the Camel and the S.E.5a - pleeeze!

Im with most of you Guys this site was where i first found OFF but as Pol has said  our official home is on "The other site",i also registered and look in regularly,but i believe that Combat Ace is where my heart lies.

To be fair though it really is easy to flick between the two anyway so it should,nt be a problem.Id also love to see some upto date screenies or perhaps a new video of WOFF,it wouldnt spoil my enjoyment of playing one little bit,

and if people dont want screenies or vids to be posted then dont look at them....It really is that simple