Hello all you happy skin magicians!  When I saw on the Thirdwire available downloads a set of US Navy/Marine Corps F4Ns, I had to have it.  Purchased it, Went to fly it.  Selected my old aircraft to fly, and was surprised to find that the tail art was that of the B model.  Now, in Strike Fighters Project 1, the tail art for VMFA 531 (B model) is correct, for the N model, not the B.  Is there any way to get the proper tail art onto the VMFA 531 N model Phantom?

Thanks for any help.

S/F

Edited by 531Ghost

Ken you get me the pics I can see if I can fix it.

531Ghost:

Actually, you can use the tail decals from SFP1. Simplest thing to do is grab these two decals from SFP1:

F4_SqTailL006.TGA

F4_SqTailR006.TGA

Rename them to

F4_SqTailL190.TGA

F4_SqTailR190.TGA

...then drop them in the \Objects\Decals folder of your Mods folder. The game will automatically use those in lieu of the default tail decals for that squadron.

Of course, that will also change the tail art on the F-4B. If you want to restrict the use of these alternate tail decals to the F-4N, you'll have to add them via the Decals.INI file on a particular skin for the F-4N.

FWIW, the SF2NA Expansion Pack already includes the correct squadron tail art for the F-4N.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Gimme a day to tighten up that squadron. Got a MARINE CARDEP skin with the NK code, historic N SN's, snd another overall gloss gull skin set just to 1977, 78 and 79 for the EC code. Should just hsve to get the radome done (i have it worked as a decal) and get to my inlaws. (Currently no home internet and the school dont like us doing up/downloads anything larger than 2 mb)

• Like 1

Thanks daddyairplanes!  I was on that Carrier Deployment ;)  Actually it was West Pac 79-80.  During that deployment we were also involved with Operation Eagle Claw.

eburger68, thanks!

Dave, thanks!

Really appreciate the efforts guys!

My aircraft BUNO: 150419

MODEX 13

Edited by 531Ghost

hows that?  gotta fix the modex for the non carrier deployed one,  ini dance across 21 skins is no fun. and thats just the N!!

again should get it shot to ya tommorow if your patient.  it will cost you tho........ you have to check the rest of my N pack when its ready!  as shown here its on STORMs N, but i have the DLC also and am bringing both up to standard.   BTW  i thought they were in the overall grey by 78 and the deployment. or were they in the original grey over white?

@ eburger,  took a look at the Expansion pack.  the one in there is correct for the Coral Sea dep.  the alternate( and many of the loviz) appears to be teh stock with the contrast/balance played with.  am working all units post 77 right now,  starting with N, then S, then J and B (yes the Marines were flying the B until 78!) bases off of my squadronlist for the decals so might be a little tricky to incorporate  for units like VMFA-134 and other non stock, but will get with you when done so they are a little closer to real.

skins for each branch for each year 77-92, and 100 historical buno for Rhinos that survived to be N's/S's. balance that with college and a fam of 5 and i hope y'all understand why ive been jabbering so long bout it

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1

That sir, is beautiful.  I will gladly check out the rest of your N model skins!  Our aircraft during 78-82 were gloss white on the bottem and grey on top.  For the West Pac 79-80 we had yellow air conditioning intakes, The forward tips of the pylons as well the center line fuel tank forward tip about 12" was also yellow.  During Operation Eagle Claw the right wing tip was painted black/yellow/black.  the black was about 12" wide.  For that deployment, we (531) had 200 series MODEX numbers.  323 was 100 series.

EDIT: Found pictures to show Eagle Claw stripes. <--CLICK

Edited by 531Ghost

ok will make some of the changes. the mod is a more generic rather than a unit by unit, but getting the tail and fuselage decals for everyone right. so prob no pylon but a/c intake is no prob (part of the bln decal for the radome). can change out the skin for grey over white rather than grey overall no worries.  do you remember if VMFA-323 was the same?  as for the Eagle claw markings that will likely become a whole new skin/ decal set just with those two units.  as for modex, again it draws from a generic set of black and white. however in the dropdown menu it shows the numbers 100-224, then 100 White - 224 White. so just set up in the drop sown menu or in the menu for the mission editor if you have that and you'll be good.

will check in same bat time tommorrow

Yes, 323 was also gloss.  Again, thanks!  The black on the radome/glareshield was however, flat black.

Edited by 531Ghost

Love the F-4N, my favourite in the whole game. The Eagle Claw units and liveries would kick ass. Precisely the other day i was putting it against the Iranian Tomcat DLC...it was great

ok  heres the last of what i'll mess with for now. not even enough to call it a beta, but it gets ya some skins and the rest of you a peek at what im workin with. full set for VMFA-531 and 323,  also a low viz Tarsiers decal set in the mix as well. the serials (Numbers folder) are about locked in tho for the N release. hope you like it.

Ghost, you are specifically set up on here for USMC Cardep and USMC Grey79. the rest is pretty much sneak peak, and works with the DLC N.

Edited by daddyairplanes

DA is on it like a Hornet! Awesome work Kevin!

I thought I had the N DLC..

oh well...

at any rate, save the jpg below, and drop it into the 531 skin folder. Make sure it stays names as "F-4N_Hangar.jpg", and the game will automatically use this one.

sorry the image got so small, Ken. I can't find the original "large format one...have to keep looking

edit:

in the zip is the same jpg, just to make it easier

Edited by Wrench

Okay.  Thanks guys!  REALLY appreciate the efforts you've put into this!  This file, F-4N.7z, goes where?  Or is this part of the Expansion Pack (that I don't have)?

Edit:  Belay my last.  Thanks Dave!

Edited by 531Ghost

Wrench  this will work on Storms as well. just rename the bitmaps to B_67_x, or even easier add the ini's to a stock B_67 USN Grey.  

to all i hate it when you guys subliminally make me think of a way to do something better, but that requires me to rework the whole bit!  thought on it some last night and realized i would save on number of decals to do unit specific skins for the Marines.  only changed every few years or for carrier deployments. the Navy on the other hand changed damn near every year, esp. PACFLT!!!!!!!!  same decal folder layout, just different layout for the USMC and how many N_xx's i make.   me thinks STORMs will just have a few Grey folders and skin specific for the carrier deps, as they were the most signifigant action the N took part in (aside from the Red Lightning campaing off of Iceland! :biggrin: )  after may patch there has been..... funniness with the skins in that one and dont want to go to July yet.

This is cool we where just talking about taking on Persian Cats with Halloween striped Marine Phantoms DA!

i know i know.  anyone who knows me know i love biting pieces bigger than i can chew,  then still managing to wolf the whole thing down.   check yer PM Crazyhorse, got a question bout rocket pods.

daddyairplanes/wrench.................. I love you man.  No homo.  Finally was able to sit down long enough to put this skin in and fly.  It is a thing of beauty, as it should've been to begin with.  I'll take some screen shots and post 'em.  Thanks again.