CaptSopwith

For Olham: A Glimpse at RB3D

Hi Olham!

I came across this video while having my coffee this morning. It's a gameplay video of Red Baron 3D that also shows the intro and how the sim's interface functioned. For those of us who played it, it's a nice trip down memory lane. And for you, my good friend, I thought it would be a fun glimpse at what had us all terribly addicted back in the 90s!

And, I would dare say you can see where some of OFF's inspiration came from!

Hope you like it!

Thank you, but why only for me?

There are many flyers around here, who got addicted with RB3D.

And no need to only just guess about OBD - they definitely got inspired by RB3D -

and not only that; some of them have even contributed to it.

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

Oh the nostalgia of it all: the thousands of hours spent training, flying, and tweaking the sim and my computer; the Voodoo 5500 with 3dfx and a whopping 64mb of RAM; the Hell's Angels Super Patch, the Western Front Patch, and Pat's Campaign Generator; SWWISA and WoV; the countless online MMP tournaments and victories and defeats ... and arguments.  Seems like a lifetime ago now, but oh the good times.

:smile:

Thank you, but why only for me?

There are many flyers around here, who got addicted with RB3D.

And no need to only just guess about OBD - they definitely got inspired by RB3D -

and not only that; some of them have even contributed to it.

I seem to remember you saying that you never played RB3D, so I thought you'd like to see what all the fuss was about. :biggrin:

Oh the nostalgia of it all: the thousands of hours spent training, flying, and tweaking the sim and my computer; the Voodoo 5500 with 3dfx and a whopping 64mb of RAM; the Hell's Angels Super Patch, the Western Front Patch, and Pat's Campaign Generator; SWWISA and WoV; the countless online MMP tournaments and victories and defeats ... and arguments.  Seems like a lifetime ago now, but oh the good times.

:smile:

Indeed! I remember upgrading my old Dell XPS R400 a few times just to play RB3D. The ATI card it shipped with did not do Glide, which was so essential back in the late 90s so I saved up my pennies and bought a Voodoo 3000 card. I also upgraded my RAM to 128MB, which was huge back then!

It's amazing to me how quickly the time has passed. Doesn't seem like that long ago until you stop and really think about it and then, oh dear... it really has been.

BTW: I've been meaning to ask this, is the Pat Wilson behind the ROF Campaign Mission Generator the same Pat that worked so tirelessly on RB3D over the years?

It is indeed one and the same Pat Wilson.  He is one of the true veterans of the WWI combat flight sim community!

Thank you for reminding me of the worst near-miss in my life... :blackeye:

(I ALMOST bought RB3D, but then a friend said, it was crapp...Doh!...)

PS: ...I guess this "Otto von Stachel" is nobody else but our good old OvS alias James Romano?

http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

Thank you for reminding me of the worst near-miss in my life... :blackeye:

(I ALMOST bought RB3D, but then a friend said, it was crapp...Doh!...)

PS: ...I guess this "Otto von Stachel" is nobody else but our good old OvS alias James Romano?

http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

It is indeed, the one and the same! I wonder what OvS is up to lately... haven't heard from him in over a year now...

That is the game that got me hooked on flight sims too.

Actually it was my first PC game, we had just bought our first family PC. Didn't think I'd be spending much time on it until we were in a computer store and I spotted the RB3D box on a self....  Soon my daughter was complaining about me spending too much time on the machine

I had such great times with RB3D. My dad bought me my first gaming PC in 2000 when I was 13, and I played RB3D religiously for years. Those were good days and I remember vividly all my doomed fliers and their great histories.

Had one German pilot who was on Richtofen's wing in early 1917 when Richtofen was shot down and killed. Gasp! So my pilot became the leader of Jasta 11, painted his Triplane all black, and became the Black Baron, the leading German ace! Total history rewrite, was pretty great. He got killed in '18 by some Tommies #FistShake

Had an American in one squad where one of the pilots coincidentally shared the same last name as my pilot. So I imagined they were brothers. Then my pilot's brother was killed by Herman Goering. Spent the whole rest of the war hunting for Goering's Fokker D.VII to get revenge, Captain Ahab style. Finally found him in October 1918 and single handedly engaged his entire squadron of Fokker D.VIIs. Just when I was about to get my revenge, I was shot down and killed. Epic fight though, pure Werner Voss style.

And many others. I doubt I'll ever return to RB3D now; Over Flanders Fields replaced it entirely for me. But I own it on GOG and it's got a dear place in my heart.

Thanks for the post Sopwith!

EDIT: Meant he became the leader of Jasta 11, not Jasta 1. Silly typo making me appear historically ignorant.

Edited by Javito1986
  • Like 1

Man, it's even cheesier than I remember. But, hey, I was addicted to it too, back in the 90s!  Hell, I was addicted to the original Red Baron.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTeX5kLGYNA&list=PLAEB8922323DAAA67   

But, the past is where it belongs. The only thing I missed about RB3D was the music, so long ago I grabbed the tunes off the disc and assimilated them into various other sims.

Edited by JFM

Man, it's even cheesier than I remember. But, hey, I was addicted to it too, back in the 90s!  Hell, I was addicted to the original Red Baron.  

But, the past is where it belongs. The only thing I missed about RB3D was the music, so long ago I grabbed the tunes off the disc and assimilated them into various other sims.

Funny you should mention that. I've worked up a mod that incorporates the original RB3D music into OFF - replacing the original score. I'll get it posted at some point - I was seeing if Lothar could incorporate it into OFFice but once Combat Ace gets the downloads up and working again, I'll post it. Brings back a flood of nostalgia every time I play!

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I had such great times with RB3D. My dad bought me my first gaming PC in 2000 when I was 13, and I played RB3D religiously for years. Those were good days and I remember vividly all my doomed fliers and their great histories.

Had one German pilot who was on Richtofen's wing in early 1917 when Richtofen was shot down and killed. Gasp! So my pilot became the leader of Jasta 11, painted his Triplane all black, and became the Black Baron, the leading German ace! Total history rewrite, was pretty great. He got killed in '18 by some Tommies #FistShake

Had an American in one squad where one of the pilots coincidentally shared the same last name as my pilot. So I imagined they were brothers. Then my pilot's brother was killed by Herman Goering. Spent the whole rest of the war hunting for Goering's Fokker D.VII to get revenge, Captain Ahab style. Finally found him in October 1918 and single handedly engaged his entire squadron of Fokker D.VIIs. Just when I was about to get my revenge, I was shot down and killed. Epic fight though, pure Werner Voss style.

And many others. I doubt I'll ever return to RB3D now; Over Flanders Fields replaced it entirely for me. But I own it on GOG and it's got a dear place in my heart.

Thanks for the post Sopwith!

EDIT: Meant he became the leader of Jasta 11, not Jasta 1. Silly typo making me appear historically ignorant.

Glad you like it Javito! I've got a few years on you, but not much: I was 16 when I picked up Red Baron II in 1998. Got it with our second home computer, a Dell XPS R400 that still sits in my closet. It's funny how we remember the missions we flew in that sim as if they actually happened. My girlfriend gets a kick out of my stories - and even asks me how my latest mission went when she knows I've been flying OFF.

Out of all of the hundreds of hapless lads I sent up, only one actually made it through to 1918. He flew for the RFC, I think started in 1RFC, then 24RFC, followed by a stint with 60 before finishing the war behind the controls of an SE5 in 56 Squadron. Wound up with 82 kills - only two better than Manfred and I wound up with a VC (partly because I was maimed... ouch). Had another Brit pull a stint with Roderick Stanley Dallas and I felt terrible on the mission where I saw him shot down in the clouds over the lines.

Funny... this is all getting close to 15 years in the past now but I still remember those evenings playing like yesterday. Your fights sound truly epic! Thanks for sharing them Javito! Hope you're doing well, mate.

I've worked up a mod that incorporates the original RB3D music into OFF - replacing the original score.

With all respect, but that means giving the original OFF score no chance IMHO.

And what a pity that would be - because the original score for OFF is among the very best I have ever heard,

and I guess it is cut into my musical memory until the day I die.

I agree with you completely Olham.  As nostalgic as the old RB score is, Matt's work in OFF is beyond superior in every way.

Played the crap out of unmodded RB3D. I broke 3 joysticks on that one, such fun.

Only three Rickitycrate?  I discovered back in my RB3D days that it was a far better value to purchase the Logitech Wingman in the 10-packs.   :grin:

• Like 1

I agree with you completely Olham.  As nostalgic as the old RB score is, Matt's work in OFF is beyond superior in every way.

I have to say, I certainly agree! Matt's scores are magical - and I'm dying to hear the rest of his work when WOFF is released!

Only three Rickitycrate?  I discovered back in my RB3D days that it was a far better value to purchase the Logitech Wingman in the 10-packs.   :grin:

Somehow, my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 is still working after all these years. Got it for my 17th birthday... in 1999. :blink:

Man, it's even cheesier than I remember.

...but not by much! I must confess that I tried most of the WWI flying sims. I hated the lot of them. Everything looked like it should be piloted by the Super Mario Brothers. I even bought RB3D twice. (forgot that I had already bought it a year or so ago) How incredibly primitive! No TrackIR. I felt like I was fighting a war looking through the letter slot on the front door. I'd look around with the hat switch. Nobody in sight. Then something would zip past my nose and be gone again. Very frustrating. Then one morning, everything changed. I got an e-mail from OBD with a bunch of breath-taking pics, and the following question: "If there was a WWI Sim that looked like this, would you buy it?" And that was all she wrote.

With all due respect, I didn't care for the OFF score. Not as a piece of music, but as a piece of flight sim music. For my ears it was way too actionless and overdramatically sombre and melancholy. I know I'm way in the minority with that opinion, and there's no need to defend that music because I'm not attacking it. However, I do like the WOFF music as regards an association with flight sims.

Somehow, my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 is still working after all these years. Got it for my 17th birthday... in 1999. :blink:

I got a sidewinder to play Red Baron II (which later patched to '3d') in 1998, with my second wage packet.  It still works, and I only replaced it as my usual stick in order to use force feedback in OFF.

I remember breaking a Wingman Warrior while playing Wings Of Glory. I had 4 people standing behind me.... man did they laugh. Snap!

Capt S-  Well it seems you woke the forum up with that "flight down memory lane".  

Like Louvert and others..the hundreds and hundreds of hours flying RB..tweaking FM's..and enjoying the dozens of flame wars that erupted on the forum! ;>)

Capt S-  Well it seems you woke the forum up with that "flight down memory lane".  

Like Louvert and others..the hundreds and hundreds of hours flying RB..tweaking FM's..and enjoying the dozens of flame wars that erupted on the forum! ;>)

Apparently so! Glad I got a little discussion going! And I remember those flame wars quite well - I believe there was one rather infamous thread entitled "The Fokker DR1 is Porked!" I got quite an introduction to life on message boards back in the late 90s. :crazy:

And Royce - I'm pretty sure I still have some of your handiwork on my PC. I have all of the major RB3D patches installed and I'm sure your FM is still kicking around there somewhere! :bye:

Interesting topics have a way of doing that.

Capt.Sopwith, when I think about it, your topic was the first teaser I saw teasing me

about a thing I missed and which lies in the past.

What a nasty way to tease someone!

:grin: