CaptSopwith

For Olham: A Glimpse at RB3D

I wonder if it's an 'age thing'.... but games were just more fun in the old days

In the past everything used to be so much better - even the future...

Mmuahahahahaaaa!!!!

I was thrilled with RB3D and all the others back in the day. Definitely fun and good times, a dream come true in some regards. OFF BHAH falls into the same category for me only to a greater extreme. WOFF/OBD seems to be promising more of the same and just may be the high-point of WWI flight combat simming. Time will tell. My money is OBD they have given me much and I have never been disappointed.

Funny you should mention that. I've worked up a mod that incorporates the original RB3D music into OFF - replacing the original score. I'll get it posted at some point - I was seeing if Lothar could incorporate it into OFFice but once Combat Ace gets the downloads up and working again, I'll post it. Brings back a flood of nostalgia every time I play!

Hey Capt, your RB3D music mod is now available in version 1.1.0 of OFFice, along with a soundtrack mixed from Cinemaware's Wings for the Amiga (released in 1990, same year as the original Red Baron for PC and Amiga). See this post for more details.

For the record, here's the intro to Wings:

Graphics and sound on the Amiga were obviously superior to PCs of the time, but too bad it never got the sequel it deserved ala Red Baron II/3D. Recent kickstarter for a high-def remastering failed. They should've been more ambitious, imho, than merely wrapping new graphics on decades old gameplay.

Edit: sound is all messed up on the embed of the video. Here's the direct link for the wonderful four-channel, 8-bit stereo sound.

Edited by Lothar of the Hill People

Hey Capt, your RB3D music mod is now available in version 1.1.0 of OFFice, along with a soundtrack mixed from Cinemaware's Wings for the Amiga (released in 1990, same year as the original Red Baron for PC and Amiga). See this post for more details.

For the record, here's the intro to Wings:

Graphics and sound on the Amiga were obviously superior to PCs of the time, but too bad it never got the sequel it deserved ala Red Baron II/3D. Recent kickstarter for a high-def remastering failed. They should've been more ambitious, imho, than merely wrapping new graphics on decades old gameplay.

Edit: sound is all messed up on the embed of the video. Here's the direct link for the wonderful four-channel, 8-bit stereo sound.

That's fantastic Lothar! Very happy the Red Baron 3D soundtrack is alive and well once more! I love Matt's score to OFF - but there's something about the more upbeat tone of RB3D that I remember quite fondly.

And Wings, wow... I wish I had played that one but 1990 is just a little before my time. We got our first PC in 1993 and shortly after that, Wings of Glory came out (which I have installed on my current rig in DosBox). Love the soundtrack through. Great stuff!

And for anyone who hasn't heard the Red Baron 3D soundtrack - which I still catch myself humming around the house all these years later - here's some previews of what it sounded like. The audio quality is pretty low in these videos but they'll do.

Edited by _CaptSopwith
  • Like 1

Thanks CaptSopwith for the memories! Listening to the sound track brought back some fond memories.

Regards;

I wonder if it's an 'age thing'.... but games were just more fun in the old days

It is. And, they were. The problem, (as with the great comic books of our past) is that we have grown and our games/comics have not grown with us. They are still being pitched to the people we once were.

Maybe I'm lucky - I still find it's possible to amaze me with another step beyond of what used to amaze me.

Wings and RB3D

god, how I loved them!!!!!

Yes Olham, you are fortunate.  Long may you continue to be. 

Ah Wings.. I still love the piano tune...

I don't know that it's so much an age thing as it is an expectation thing. The very first time you experience something completely unlike anything you've ever experienced before you've nothing to compare it to. Revolution. Sudden and drastic change from what you're used to.

OTOH, when the second and third generations of that same thing come out you have a frame of reference to which to compare it. You've also built up expectations that must be lived up to or surpassed to impress you and that's not easy.

Example: The Godfather. When that movie was first released some of what they did was SO new and unexpected that it hit you like a baseball bat to the back of the head. The horse's head in the movie producer's bed: Sonny being ripped by the Thompsons: the mass executions juxtaposed over Michael's swearing off evil at his nephew's christening. These were powerful experiences and had never before been put on the screen. When Part 2 was released people knew what to expect, so it had less impact even though it wa probably more violent.

The same (for me, at least) was true with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. The former was completely new and so everything that Brooks did was so unexpected that you found yourself saying "Did he really say/do that?" But you went to Young Frakenstein kowing what was coming and it wasn't as funny. Airplane and Airplane 2 the same way.

I've heard many people say that RB3D wasn't as good as RBII. But 3D was my first WWI sim and so I had nothing to which to compare it. Therefore I felt it was amazing, even given the hexagonal fuselages and literally two-dimensional wings, struts and wheels (they would disappear when you got straight on with them), the lack of bracing wires, and the pathetic sounds of the stock game.

• Like 1

I too missed out on RB3D but like you widowmaker i loved wings....in fact i loved everything cinemaware did,those guys were head and shoulders above most programmers at the time.

Defender of the crown,it came from the desert,and my favourite Rocket Ranger,brilliant times.

• Like 1

Great thread Capt. But no walk down memory lane for me. I still have RB3D on my (old XP) computer, and still fly it two or three time a month. Just can't let it go. And enjoy it as much now as I did when I first bought RBII way back in 1998.

Sure the graphics are well dated, even with all the great work done to that, the FM's, DM's and new planes by maestro's such as Pat Wilson, Charles de Thielt, Tom Harradine (von Tom), Horrido, Panama Red, Ball, Baron von Benz, Delta K, OvS, Wingstrut, jamron, Flybert, JG1Beck, Lowengrin, Uhlan, Hobbs, Demski, Bletch and Gabi Laser. To name just a few!

That RB3D music brought back memories!

Many nights I'd hear it in my sleep, and all tose mornings at work with too little sleep because I was playing way too late....just one more mission.

• Like 1