Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

DCS World now on Steam...

...and it automatic connects you with the titles you own on Steam. It means that whenever there is a Steam Sale, there is a good chance DCS Content will be in it.

Edited by JonathanRL

I like proper Steam titles where I can install the title on as many PCs as I want. I have all of my Arma 2 software and Star Wars Battlefront 2 via Steam x 3 accounts so that I can have 3 players at any time. But I don't see the point of having DCS on Steam if it retains their existing DRM system that limits install rights. Since I already have everything that is currently available from DCS independent of Steam, I don't see any incentive to migrate unless ED does something to give me no other choice. I think Third Wire has the absolute best: no DRM of any kind and re-download at will. The only hassle is retaining the original download link, and a small email to TK can overcome any problems that may cause.

This is something I have been waiting for,now to integrate my dcs modules under dcs world is a big step in the right direction! No doubt there will be bugs along the way but I already have A-10 and Blackshark Steam versions.Su-25 Flaming Cliffs Is Also On Sale Along With Combined Arms.

As far as I can tell, the Steam version does not have the Install-Limit DRM. I did not even need to enter the A-10 code into it, it was unlocked at once.

I don't know about the DRM, but I will tell you the biggest bonus--bandwidth. Steam has far more than ED could ever manage, so patching as well as DLing a new module would be much faster.

I just don't think I'm brave enough to try changing my install over as this one is working fine.

I have been on Steam with Arma2 from the start. Steam has not always been the fastest about updates/patches/beta patches, etc. I love the idea of Steam and it mostly works great for me, but I haven't really had any problems with ED's direct way of doing business using torrents to get all the big files. The updater sure can be slow, but I have always gotten the entire update the night I it was released, so it's not that bad. At this point, I prefer to wait a week or two before getting updates anyway -- to many major bugs in initial releases. If and when Steam does something better than my standalone, then I will consider migrating if it is allowed. But for the time being I have everything installed and working and have been easily staying up to date.