Howdy,

For my participation to Bunyap's "100 missions challenge", I would like to add some decals to the plane (probably a F-100) assigned to my pilot ... so I have been looking a bit on how to add some decals to a specific plane, taking example on how some of the fine skiners have done it :)

I understand the basic notion of it :

- put the TGA files in a subfolder of the skin, with the name that match the plane number on which the decals should go

- add a corresponding section to the skin decals.ini

What's fuzzy to me (at least right now) is what file name should I give to the decal ... In many example I have seen, if a decal is to be on the A-4 401 (for example), the file will be blahblah-001 .... However, in the case of the the F-100, the plane number (from the list text file) are 55-XXXXX .... so what format should the decals files be in?

Also, how do you guys find out the correct position of a decals? Is it a trial-and-error process? Or can the position/scale be computed from the desired position by looking at the skin BMP files?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I always name my decals (for serials) XXXnum. That one is always the first number then XXXnum001 etc etc. Decal postioning is all trial and error. But once you get the technique down you can knock them out quick. Make sense?

I always name my decals (for serials) XXXnum. That one is always the first number then XXXnum001 etc etc. Decal postioning is all trial and error. But once you get the technique down you can knock them out quick. Make sense?

well ... sort of ... :biggrin: .... so in the case of the F-100, with plane numbers going from 55-2790 to 56-3439 ... what will the file name for a decal to be applied just to the plane 56-3380 ? MyDecal380.tga ? MyDecal563380 ?

Thanks for your help USAFMTL :fan_1:

You can name it whatever you want. It is hard to explain really without showing you. Those numbers you get from the numbers.lst if you start it with 56-3380 and have the decal named xxxnum001 and the decal tga is 56-3380, when you go to the number.lst and choose 56-3380 it will use the first tga you have named 001. make sense?

:blink: eh? ..... hmm .. so If I understand you correctly, the TGA should be named according to the line position of the serial number of the plane I want the decal to be on?

For example, if the serial number 56-3380, is on the line 25 of the numbers.lst file, my decal should have for name : MyDecal025 ? Is that correct? :help:

More or less yes.