76.IAP-Blackbird

New Japenese Destroyer

They should build four of them and name them "Hiryu", "Akagi", "Kaga" and "Soryu".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

They should build four of them and name them "Hiryu", "Akagi", "Kaga" and "Soryu".

:lol:   :lol:   i think that would make alot of people very nervous

If you had expansionist China as your neighbor, you would be nervous too.

• Like 1

That's the Hyuga, commissioned in 2009. She and her sister ship, Ise, are named after the Ise class battleships (which were given a flight deck and converted to hybrid battle-carriers). I'm sure those names are enough to rile some people up.

So yeah, that's pretty damn big for a "destroyer" right? Well just a few days ago (August 6th), Japan launched an even BIGGER destroyer, the Izumo!

JS_Izumo_%28DDH-183%29_just_after_her_la

She is 250 meters long, a bit bigger than Italy's flagship the Cavour, and about the same length as a Tarawa or Wasp LHD. According to many sources she's specifically designed to handle the V-22 and F-35B in addition to conventional helicopters.

But don't worry, China, she's actually just a simple destroyer. Just like how the Kiev and Kuznetsov are cruisers.  :biggrin:

Edited by WhiteBoySamurai
  • Like 1

Oh I'm sure there will be an exercise where Marine Harriers will have to conduct flight ops off the Hyuga due to "battlefield conditions" soon enough.

The soviets called their carriers of the Kiev classe "aircraft carriing cruisers".

F-35? The Short Take Off, Vertical Landing variant? Does not need a ski ramp?

Edited by Stratos

a bit big for a destroyer... but I'm not that sure.. wait for other opinions :)

Maybe they should have called them "through-deck cruisers" instead. 

• Like 1

This Thing is realy big but you can call a Porsche 911 also a "people carring vehicle" but the Akagi idea is great... im nearly fall of my seat cause of laughing .... you should see the other people looking at me in the office!

• Like 2

F-35? The Short Take Off, Vertical Landing variant? Does not need a ski ramp?

No, the USMC has no ski ramps. The Harrier didn't need them and neither do the F-35Bs. Yes, you get to takeoff with a higher weight if you have one, but it's not required.

No, the USMC has no ski ramps. The Harrier didn't need them and neither do the F-35Bs. Yes, you get to takeoff with a higher weight if you have one, but it's not required.

Thanks for clarification.

Wait to see their Jigabachi helicopter-drones kicking rebel ass over Dejima....nevermind, too much cyberpunk Anime lately

Edited by macelena

That can surely take a LOT of Zero's... :)

But with no arresting gear they won't be coming back. :wink:

I love that the Chinese accused Japan, with no sense of irony, of "constant” military expansion". That's right, the country currently inducting the Liaoning. That's a nice shot of the Izumo, Samurai!

So, Samurai. When do WE get one of the "Destroyers" to play with? ;-)

• Like 2

You guy's totally missed the bumper stickers on the new Japanese Cruiser. "We brake for Gawdzirraw" and "Nuclear reactors made in Fukushima" and slyly the Autobots emblem. Way to go Japan!