Sign in to follow this  
PFunk

Explain River Tiles in the TE to Me...

How the hell do they work?  How do you make a river?

same as you make a road....

join them end to end!! :biggrin:

I'm not exactly clear on the question ... could you elaborate, Chuck??

OK, if I join them up and hit "Adjust Sea Level", what happens?  How do I insure I don't have rivers climbing hills and such?

How do I insure I don't have rivers climbing hills and such?

by being VERY aware of the height field.  In other words, keep flipping back and forth between 'tile view' and 'height field view'.

In many cases, is completely unavoidable to sometimes have water defying gravity. Which is why I have this declaration in my readmes:

**Geophysical Disclaimer: some rivers and other water features may not follow their Real Life ™ courses, or be placed in their Real Life ™ locations, or exist at all.

so, allowances must be made.

For example, look at Hiroishma on the Okinawa WW2 map -- there are only 2 rivers running through the city, where the Real World ™ has 4.

as for river mouths, they're  "sea-to-land transition tiles" , they're treated like another other "beach".

Adjust sea level is, well -should be- the very last thing done on terrain. Even then, you may have to go back and retile (read: expand land) certain areas.

bottom line is: it's PIA!!!

LOL.  So, essentially what I'm already doing.  I kept thinking, "the TE has to have an easier way to do this and I'll bet Kevin knows how."

thanks for the vote of confidence!! :biggrin:

in truth, the TE is one of the worst POS bits of software I've ever seen. It's still in it's unfinished state. The Wov/WoE version, like the desert version, have all sorts of functions that, simply put, DON'T. Drops downs for roads and rivers ... things completely left undone.

Things that needed adding, like directly modifying/adjusting the HF; things like that

and we makes do with what we gots.