Sign in to follow this  
imperialwolfx

Radar Blind Bombing possible?

Listening to the requests for blind bombing ability and knowing that bomb aiming computers all be it basic were carried by aircraft of the 60`s on,  calculating position height and speed to auto release or prompt release( F-4 Loft bombing labs etc) I wonder if that was possible by minimum change to use what we already had with a minimum INI change. This may have been spotted before so it could be old news, but you can use the ground mapping function if you increase the resolution of the radar , in most cases its set to 5 Miles as the lowest setting which is to low for bombing, but can go below 1 mile.

In my tests 2 -3 appears to be the best to allow time to react as you still have to line up on the correct blip, but if you fine tune the radar resolution from max to 2-3 (Last or first setting) suddenly you get a good picture of the target and the ability to pick out the one designated by the red target box. The trick is working out which bar ( Normally the middle one of the RADAR Bmp at 15-20,000 ft) you need to use as a release point. The test aircraft was a B-47E  and hitting targets with a stick of 500LB bombs , it is possible and about as accurate as it would be in the 50s bearing in mind targets were large area targets not single buildings so CEP is large. But as time goes by as in real life the scanners get faster and the picture becomes more accurate, more real time scanning which should please the purest.

Still prefer Starys "new Bombsight "for immersion but this is a minimum change way to create blind bombing. The idea could do with better front end maybe a new BMP for release but the key is the resolution needed can be produced by the game engine and at 2 Miles you can tell from take off ,the hangars from the fuel tanks aa etc. I will keep plugging away at this but I thought as there are more expert members out there , one of you will have a better idea how this can be used as I said if this is new Knowledge. 

b47e_Avionics.ini

[TextureData]
RadarTexture=cockpit\a-4e_radar.bmp

[AvionicsData]
AvailableModes=GROUND_MAP
RangeUnit=NM
RangeSetting[1]=2  Change here can go below 1.0
RangeSetting[2]=10
RangeSetting[3]=40
RangeSetting[4]=80

RadarPosition=
MaxElevationAngle=25
MinElevationAngle=-200  Changed from original to make sure of reasonable coverage
MaxAzimuthAngle=40
ScanPattern[1].BarElevation[1]=2.0
ScanPattern[1].BarElevation[2]=-2.0
ScanPattern[1].ScanRate=40
ScanPattern[1].ScanBeamAngle=6.0
ScanPattern[1].ScanArc=40
GroundMapRangeSetting=1,2,3,4
GroundSearchStrength=60

[RadarDisplay]
FadeImageIntensity=0.3
ImageFadeTime=0.30
SweepIntensity=0.4